A Question About Add-On Availability

Frank M Waterman
Greetings to all,

I have a question for all of you who know Evolution so well and for so long. Very recently, I upgraded my installation of Evolution from 3.22.0 to 3.22.3 in hopes that it might resolve a problem with an ancillary program which unfortunately it did not.

What I am wondering about are the availability of additional plug-ins, what I believe are now referred to as add-ons, for Evolution. The spelling checker that Evolution uses is quite good, but there are times when I can use all the help I can get with grammar and punctuation too! I know that OpenOffice has a couple of rather good grammar and punctuation extensions (that is there term of art, as I'm sure you are all aware) and it got me to thinking could those extensions be adapted to be incorporated into Evolution? Having wondered that, let me hasten to add that 1) I am not a programmer, although I am trying to learn Python right now. and 2) I know that people involved intimately with Evolution are working on modifying it programming so that Evolution will be more...compliant doesn't seem the right word, but more standardized with other Open Source programs in the way others may create programs that add to Evolution's versatility.

So I just thought I'd throw my question out there to see what others in the community had to say and think.

Best regards,

Re: A Question About Add-On Availability

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 14:44 -0500, Frank M Waterman wrote:
> I know that OpenOffice has a couple of rather good
> grammar and punctuation extensions (that is there term of art, as I'm
> sure you are all aware) and it got me to thinking could those
> extensions be adapted to be incorporated into Evolution?

        Hi,
I'm not aware of anything like that for Evolution. Evolution uses
enchant for spell checking, though I'm afraid it doesn't have anything
for punctuation, but I do not know it, I only think it.

> 2) I know that people involved intimately with Evolution are working
> on modifying it programming so that Evolution will be
> more...compliant doesn't seem the right word, but more standardized
> with other Open Source programs in the way others may create programs
> that add to Evolution's versatility.

Interesting. I'm not aware of it too, somehow. Evolution has some API
for creating plugins, then it has a similar API for creating modules,
which is similar to plugins, but newer and more tight to the internals.
If you mean to let extend (with modules) certain parts of Evolution,
then yes, it's possible to add (in most cases, though trying to extend
message composer in the way you are looking for, which involves also
WebKit2, is not that trivial). Nonetheless, the composer is already
extensible and modules can be written for it.

Re: A Question About Add-On Availability

Frank M Waterman
Thank you for your reply Milan and for your patience in answering my 'new guy' questions. I am just beginning to study computer programming. I am beginning with learning Python (on the advice of several individuals who are advanced coders themselves). Also, I am working on learning HTML (especially 5.0), and CSS 3. As I become competent with those languages, I plan on beginning studying PHP and Qt. I hope that as I gain competency with these languages that I can apply that knowledge to help extend and improve Evolution even further. I think that it is a Great Program, but then perhaps I am a little prejudiced!

Thanks again,

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 08:05 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 14:44 -0500, Frank M Waterman wrote:
I know that OpenOffice has a couple of rather good grammar and punctuation extensions (that is there term of art, as I'm sure you are all aware) and it got me to thinking could those extensions be adapted to be incorporated into Evolution?
Hi, I'm not aware of anything like that for Evolution. Evolution uses enchant for spell checking, though I'm afraid it doesn't have anything for punctuation, but I do not know it, I only think it.
2) I know that people involved intimately with Evolution are working on modifying it programming so that Evolution will be more...compliant doesn't seem the right word, but more standardized with other Open Source programs in the way others may create programs that add to Evolution's versatility.
Interesting. I'm not aware of it too, somehow. Evolution has some API for creating plugins, then it has a similar API for creating modules, which is similar to plugins, but newer and more tight to the internals. If you mean to let extend (with modules) certain parts of Evolution, then yes, it's possible to add (in most cases, though trying to extend message composer in the way you are looking for, which involves also WebKit2, is not that trivial). Nonetheless, the composer is already extensible and modules can be written for it. Bye, Milan _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list