Quantcast

[ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

1234

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

turbozmike
I have an update on this if anyone would help  Heres what I did and these are the additional packages I was required to install with a base install of 11.04

sudo-apt-get install git checkinstall libedata-cal1.2-dev libecal1.2-dev libebackend1.2-dev libedataserverui1.2-dev libedataserver1.2-dev evolution-data-server-dev libgtk2.0-dev  libedata-book1.2-dev evolution-dev gnome-common  gtk-doc-tools libntrack-gobject-dev

git clone git://git.gnome.org/evolution-ews

The last package on the list fixed the above errors but still get

 Construct the listener
(evolution:4787): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class EMFolderTree doesn't implement property 'paste-target-list' from interface 'ESelectable'

(evolution:4787): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class EMFolderTree doesn't implement property 'copy-target-list' from interface 'ESelectable'
^CSegmentation fault
mike@mike-VirtualBox:~/Downloads/evo/evolution-ews$

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

David Woodhouse
On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 13:17 -0700, turbozmike wrote:
> I setup a vm immediate to give this a go, I managed to get all setup but Im
> still having some issues.

Sorry for delayed response. You replied to my announcement but you
didn't keep me in Cc, so I didn't notice your message. Please remember
to keep me in Cc when you reply.

> The files are present in the locations noted below as failing.
>
> (evolution:1712): evolution-plugin-lib-WARNING **: can't load plugin
> '/usr/lib/evolution/2.32/plugins/liborg-gnome-exchange-ews.so':
> libeews-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> (evolution:1712): evolution-plugin-lib-WARNING **: can't load plugin
> '/usr/lib/evolution/2.32/plugins/liborg-gnome-exchange-ews.so':
> libeews-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That sounds like libeews got installed to /usr/local/lib but that
directory isn't on your library search path? If you run:
 ldd /usr/lib/evolution/2.32/plugins/liborg-gnome-exchange-ews.so
what does it show for libeews?

> (evolution:1712): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class EMFolderTree
> doesn't implement property 'paste-target-list' from interface 'ESelectable'
>
> (evolution:1712): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class EMFolderTree
> doesn't implement property 'copy-target-list' from interface 'ESelectable'

Those aren't relevant to the EWS back end, I think.

> ^CSegmentation fault

Hm, that's certainly suboptimal. Why did you hit Ctrl-C; was it not
working?

Please can you run in gdb and then type 'bt' when it crashes?

--
David Woodhouse                            Open Source Technology Centre
[hidden email]                              Intel Corporation

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

turbozmike
Its all working, very cool and thank you.  The last 2 errors were unrelated.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

jordi1962
I'm very interested in testing evolution-EWS but my know how in linux is limited, any one can tell me where I can download a rpm package for opensuse 11.4?

Thanks

Jordi

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 10:30 -0700, jordi1962 wrote:
> I'm very interested in testing evolution-EWS but my know how in linux is
> limited, any one can tell me where I can download a rpm package for opensuse
> 11.4?

Please remember to keep people in Cc when you reply. I almost didn't see
your message.

http://download.meego.com/live/home:/dwmw2:/evo/openSUSE_11.4/ is the
OpenSuSE 11.4 repository for
http://build.meego.com/project/show?project=home:dwmw2:evo

(If someone wants to give me a debian control file or whatever's needed
to make a .deb package build, I'll make Ubuntu and Debian packages there
too).

--
dwmw2

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

turbozmike
I have a .deb file for ews on Ubuntu 11.04 if thats what your looking for.

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 06:30 -0700, Mike Daoust wrote:
> I have a .deb file for ews on Ubuntu 11.04 if thats what your looking
> for.

Yes please. Then I can add the appropriate control file to the sources at
http://build.meego.com/package/files?package=evolution-ews&project=home%3Adwmw2%3Aevo
and I should be able to enable Ubuntu and Debian builds.

Thanks.

--
dwmw2

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

turbozmike
Heres the deb I created using checkinstall

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 06:30 -0700, Mike Daoust wrote:
> I have a .deb file for ews on Ubuntu 11.04 if thats what your looking
> for.

Yes please. Then I can add the appropriate control file to the sources at
http://build.meego.com/package/files?package=evolution-ews&project=home%3Adwmw2%3Aevo
and I should be able to enable Ubuntu and Debian builds.

Thanks.

--
dwmw2

evolution-ews_1-a_i386.deb (182K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

Andre Klapper
[Stripping unneeded quotes and answering below quoted text welcome.]

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 08:25 -0700, turbozmike wrote:
> Heres the deb I created using checkinstall

Not really. :)
/attachment/3529570/0/evolution-ews_1-a_i386.deb is not a valid path on
this internet.
Plus uploading and sending an URL instead is highly welcome...

mailto:[hidden email] | failed
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper | http://www.openismus.com

Im not sure how I would upload the file to http://build.meego.com/package/files?package=evolution-ews&project=home%3Adwmw2%3Aevo

http://leavis-daoust-family.webhop.net:8080/ftp/evolution_ews_1-a_i386.deb

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 06:30 -0700, Mike Daoust wrote:
> I have a .deb file for ews on Ubuntu 11.04 if thats what your looking
> for.

Yes please. Then I can add the appropriate control file to the sources at
http://build.meego.com/package/files?package=evolution-ews&project=home%3Adwmw2%3Aevo
and I should be able to enable Ubuntu and Debian builds.

Thanks.

--
dwmw2

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

Ruslan Tarasov
Hi.

I have two problems with this release:

1. There is no virtual Trash directory in a new EWS account. This
makes it hard to track deleted messages. As an alternative it would be
useful to move deleted mails to "Delete Items" directory instead of
marking them as deleted.

2. Address book is not working. It says "Detailed error message:
Invalid source" for some reason.

Everything else seem to work perfectly for me.

Best regards,
Ruslans.

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 20:02 +0300, Ruslan Tarasov wrote:
> 1. There is no virtual Trash directory in a new EWS account. This
> makes it hard to track deleted messages. As an alternative it would be
> useful to move deleted mails to "Delete Items" directory instead of
> marking them as deleted.

Our initial testers actually complained about the *presence* of the
virtual 'Trash' folder, and rightly so IMO. You don't want a Trash
folder *any* a Deleted Items folder.

If you want vfolders, there's a home for them right at the bottom of the
folder pane. They have no business being mixed in with the *real*
folders.

There is certainly more work to be done on deletion. We know how to
*read* the 'deleted' flag which is set when we mark a message as
\Deleted on the IMAP side, but we haven't yet worked out how to *set* it
from EWS yet.

> 2. Address book is not working. It says "Detailed error message:
> Invalid source" for some reason.

I think I fixed that today.

--
dwmw2

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM, David Woodhouse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 20:02 +0300, Ruslan Tarasov wrote:
>> 1. There is no virtual Trash directory in a new EWS account. This
>> makes it hard to track deleted messages. As an alternative it would be
>> useful to move deleted mails to "Delete Items" directory instead of
>> marking them as deleted.
>
> Our initial testers actually complained about the *presence* of the
> virtual 'Trash' folder, and rightly so IMO. You don't want a Trash
> folder *any* a Deleted Items folder.
>
> If you want vfolders, there's a home for them right at the bottom of the
> folder pane. They have no business being mixed in with the *real*
> folders.
>
> There is certainly more work to be done on deletion. We know how to
> *read* the 'deleted' flag which is set when we mark a message as
> \Deleted on the IMAP side, but we haven't yet worked out how to *set* it
> from EWS yet.

Ideally, I would like messages to be moved to "Deleted Items" when I
delete them, but even the current way (marking them as deleted
instead), is OK to me. If the second way is going to stay, then I
would like to have some virtual Trash. I did not find the way to
create a search folders that would show deleted items for me. It is
possible to use such criteria (status=deleted), but all the messages
in such search folder will be hidden :)

Anyway, I found the commit where you disable Trash, so I will be able
to enable it myself for me only.

>> 2. Address book is not working. It says "Detailed error message:
>> Invalid source" for some reason.
>
> I think I fixed that today.

Address auto-complete works perfectly with the last version from git. Thanks!

Contacts still do not seem to show on the contacts tab in evolution,
but auto-complete is more than enough for me.

> --
> dwmw2

Generally, EWS works extremely nice and much more stable than
evolution-mapi used to. Thank you for your great job!

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 22:49 +0100, Ruslan Tarasov wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM, David Woodhouse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 20:02 +0300, Ruslan Tarasov wrote:
> >> 1. There is no virtual Trash directory in a new EWS account. This
> >> makes it hard to track deleted messages. As an alternative it would be
> >> useful to move deleted mails to "Delete Items" directory instead of
> >> marking them as deleted.
> >
> > Our initial testers actually complained about the *presence* of the
> > virtual 'Trash' folder, and rightly so IMO. You don't want a Trash
> > folder *any* a Deleted Items folder.
> >
> > If you want vfolders, there's a home for them right at the bottom of the
> > folder pane. They have no business being mixed in with the *real*
> > folders.
> >
> > There is certainly more work to be done on deletion. We know how to
> > *read* the 'deleted' flag which is set when we mark a message as
> > \Deleted on the IMAP side, but we haven't yet worked out how to *set* it
> > from EWS yet.
> >

> Ideally, I would like messages to be moved to "Deleted Items" when I
> delete them, but even the current way (marking them as deleted
> instead), is OK to me.

There is an open bug for Evolution generically, for using a "real trash
folder" and actually moving messages to it instead of marking them for
deletion. That was done as a dirty hack in the imap back end, where it
notices the "mark for deletion" request and actually *moves* the message
instead. But that dirty hack doesn't live in *every* back end; it should
live in the higher level instead, and then the back ends just get a
normal "move message" request instead.

Once that's done, we should be able to use the "Deleted Items" folder
fairly easily.

The disadvantage of this approach is that you don't know where the
message came from, so you cannot *undelete* it. But I think that's what
Exchange/Outlook users are used to, so I think that's what we'll do.

> Address auto-complete works perfectly with the last version from git. Thanks!

Cool. Thanks for testing.

> Contacts still do not seem to show on the contacts tab in evolution,
> but auto-complete is more than enough for me.

I think Chen almost has that working. Watch this space... :)

--
dwmw2

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 21:27 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 20:02 +0300, Ruslan Tarasov wrote:
> > 1. There is no virtual Trash directory in a new EWS account. This
> > makes it hard to track deleted messages. As an alternative it would be
> > useful to move deleted mails to "Delete Items" directory instead of
> > marking them as deleted.
>
> Our initial testers actually complained about the *presence* of the
> virtual 'Trash' folder, and rightly so IMO. You don't want a Trash
> folder *any* a Deleted Items folder.
>
> If you want vfolders, there's a home for them right at the bottom of the
> folder pane. They have no business being mixed in with the *real*
> folders.

But if you have multiple accounts, then I would have thought the
sensible thing would be to have the Trash/Wastebasket associated with
the account and not with the whole of Evo - wether it's virtual or not.

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 11:06 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Ideally, I would like messages to be moved to "Deleted Items" when I
> > delete them, but even the current way (marking them as deleted
> > instead), is OK to me.
>
> There is an open bug for Evolution generically, for using a "real
> trash folder" and actually moving messages to it instead of marking
> them for deletion. That was done as a dirty hack in the imap back
> end...

        Hi,
the bug is for IMAP, and technically makes sense only there, as it
doesn't make any sense on exchange servers, for example, because it's
user-configurable how the IMAP provider should behave, and that's the
main point. For what would it be with NNTP provider, for example? Of
course, provider's/store's flags may tell you whether it has or has not
any meaning for it, which the actual solution does too.

Please do not call it "dirty hack", it is not any such thing. It's dirty
hack on IMAP protocol itself, but not for the code base.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

> There is an open bug for Evolution generically, for using a "real trash
> folder" and actually moving messages to it instead of marking them for
> deletion. That was done as a dirty hack in the imap back end, where it
> notices the "mark for deletion" request and actually *moves* the message
> instead. But that dirty hack doesn't live in *every* back end; it should
> live in the higher level instead, and then the back ends just get a
> normal "move message" request instead.

I'm sure you know this, but there is no "move" operation in IMAP - so a
move is implemented as a "copy" and "mark as deleted".  For what you are
suggesting to work, then you need to end up the sequence with a "purge
folder" so that the deleted message disappears from the folder.  It's
this last operation that is problematic in some instances - it's an
expensive process on some servers (i.e. those with large MBOX format
files) - doing a folder purge everytime you press the delete button is
not very friendly.

I suppose some would argue that the limitations of a server shouldn't be
a factor in designing the client, but I would sit in the opposite camp
where you should be aware of problems so that you can create the best
possible overall user experience.

> Once that's done, we should be able to use the "Deleted Items" folder
> fairly easily.
>
> The disadvantage of this approach is that you don't know where the
> message came from, so you cannot *undelete* it. But I think that's what
> Exchange/Outlook users are used to, so I think that's what we'll do.

But I would be against changing the internals of Evo just because that's
what Outlook users are used to.  Evo is not an Outlook clone, it's
better than that.  Things should be developed and changed so that they
are improved, not so that they mimic some other piece of software.

I understand that the delete behaviour would be configurable - but is
the re-write of Evo internals worth it just so that Exchange users are
not inconvenienced by having to learn a new way of working?

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 12:25 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> the bug is for IMAP, and technically makes sense only there, as it
> doesn't make any sense on exchange servers, for example, because it's
> user-configurable how the IMAP provider should behave, and that's the
> main point. For what would it be with NNTP provider, for example?

The 'real trash folder' concept can apply to *any* mail store, not just
IMAP. Even with a local Maildir or mbox store you can designate one
"Deleted Items" folder, and then Evolution can move mail there instead
of just setting the 'deleted' flag on it.

It most certainly *does* apply to the Exchange server too, and is
*exactly* what we want to do on Exchange to preserve the Outlook
behaviour.

NNTP is a special case because it's read-only. You don't actually write
your 'deleted' state back to the server at all for NNTP.

> Please do not call it "dirty hack", it is not any such thing. It's dirty
> hack on IMAP protocol itself, but not for the code base.

That's true. It's a dirty hack on the protocol.

It's also a dirty hack in the back end, though. The back end *already*
supported the "move messages" operation, and the UI could have just
asked it to move the messages.

Done in *Evolution*, or perhaps in higher levels of Camel and *not* in
individual back ends, it wouldn't be a dirty hack.

--
dwmw2

On Thu, 2011-05-19 at 11:42 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> I'm sure you know this, but there is no "move" operation in IMAP - so a
> move is implemented as a "copy" and "mark as deleted".  For what you are
> suggesting to work, then you need to end up the sequence with a "purge
> folder" so that the deleted message disappears from the folder.  It's
> this last operation that is problematic in some instances - it's an
> expensive process on some servers (i.e. those with large MBOX format
> files) - doing a folder purge everytime you press the delete button is
> not very friendly.

This is an issue with using the IMAP protocol to implement the 'real
trash folder', you are absolutely right. But it's an issue that we have
to deal with *wherever* we implement the 'conversion' from flag-setting
to message-moving.

I haven't looked at exactly how this *is* handled in the IMAP code. Does
it actually issue the EXPUNGE, or just rely on the fact that the user is
running with the 'hide deleted messages' option set? Either way, this is
not a *new* issue.

> I understand that the delete behaviour would be configurable - but is
> the re-write of Evo internals worth it just so that Exchange users are
> not inconvenienced by having to learn a new way of working?

I think you misunderstand. This "real trash folder" feature request has
been around for a long time; it isn't something that's being suggested
purely for the benefit of the EWS back end.

I'm just saying that I haven't paid much attention to the deletion
handing in EWS yet, because once the 'real trash folder' support is done
*generically* in Camel, we should be able to use it.

--
dwmw2

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Evolution-EWS (Exchange Web Services) Alpha release

Ruslan Tarasov
Hi.

The patch done by Chenthill Palanisamy seem to add the functionality
of "Delete Items" directory, but it also makes evolution delete random
e-mails on synchronization for some reason. I thought it deletes all
new e-mails, but it seems it sometimes also remove old e-mails too.

Best regards,
Ruslans.
1234