Accessing Exchange (ews) through a proxy (ssh/socks5)

Accessing Exchange (ews) through a proxy (ssh/socks5)

Michael Parson
Running Evolution 3.30.3 on Fedora 29, default version that the repos
provide.

I can access my work's OWA via a browser over the ssh-provided SOCKS5
proxy, but Evolution does not seem to want to allow me access to EWS.
I'm using the same info that is working on my Outlook install, which
does work across this proxy.

I've tried setting the proxy info in Evolution, I've tried setting it in
KDE and telling Evolution to defer to desktop settings.

If, for reasons, the proxy stuff will only work under Gnome, I suppose I
can give that route try as well.

Different settings have given me different errors, sometimes it can't
look up the hostname of the the mailserver, but most of the time I get
'Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out'

I've got the following evolution related bits installed:

$ rpm -qa | grep evolution
evolution-data-server-3.30.3-1.fc29.x86_64
evolution-ews-langpacks-3.30.3-1.fc29.noarch
evolution-langpacks-3.30.3-1.fc29.noarch
evolution-data-server-langpacks-3.30.3-1.fc29.noarch
evolution-pst-3.30.3-1.fc29.x86_64
evolution-ews-3.30.3-1.fc29.x86_64
evolution-3.30.3-1.fc29.x86_64

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX

Re: Accessing Exchange (ews) through a proxy (ssh/socks5)

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2018-12-27 at 16:03 -0600, Michael Parson wrote:
> Different settings have given me different errors, sometimes it can't
> look up the hostname of the the mailserver, but most of the time I
> get 'Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out'

        Hi,
as far as I can tell, the evolution-ews does use proxy settings from
Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences (you can create a specific proxy
settings for the EWS account in the Advances proxy settings). The
problem might be with the DNS resolution, which is filled for glib at:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/issues/1320

I'm not sure, but maybe a fake record in /etc/hosts would help.

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-12-27 at 16:03 -0600, Michael Parson wrote:
>> Different settings have given me different errors, sometimes it can't
>> look up the hostname of the the mailserver, but most of the time I
>> get 'Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out'
>
> Hi,
> as far as I can tell, the evolution-ews does use proxy settings from
> Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences (you can create a specific proxy
> settings for the EWS account in the Advances proxy settings).

I'm not seeing Evolution attempt to pull a proxy.pac off the local
webserver, either having the proxy set in Evolution itself or having it
defer to desktop settings.  Chrome is pulling/using the proxy.pac.

Even if I hard-code the SOCKS5 proxy to use localhost:1080, have an
entry in /etc/hosts, I get timeouts.

While Evolution is claiming to attempt to connect to the mail server,
I don't see any connections from Evolution to localhost:1080 in 'sudo
netstat -pnt' output.  I do see Chrome in that output though.

Ran it from the command line, just to see if I would get any
new/additional debug output, it eventually spit out:

(evolution:4881): e-mail-engine-WARNING **: 10:43:17.004: mail_folder_cache_note_store_thread: Failed to run initial setup for '[hidden email]': Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out

> The problem might be with the DNS resolution, which is filled for glib
> at: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/issues/1320
>
> I'm not sure, but maybe a fake record in /etc/hosts would help.  Bye,
> Milan

Tried that, no change in behavior.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX
KF5LGQ

Re: Accessing Exchange (ews) through a proxy (ssh/socks5)

Ángel González
I didn't know evolution could work through a socks proxy.

I would try accesing ews using a normal ssh port-forwarding for the
destination and port you are trying to reach.

Best regards

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019, Ángel wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Evolution] Accessing Exchange (ews) through a proxy (ssh/socks5)
>
> I didn't know evolution could work through a socks proxy.
>
> I would try accesing ews using a normal ssh port-forwarding for the
> destination and port you are trying to reach.

That is what I wound up doing, and yes, that does work.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX
KF5LGQ

Re: Accessing Exchange (ews) through a proxy (ssh/socks5)

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
okay, thanks for the suggestions and clarifications, now I know that it's
working

--
Sent from: http://gnome-evolution-general.1774414.n4.nabble.com/