Adding to spellcheck dictionary from Evolution?

Adding to spellcheck dictionary from Evolution?

J.B. Nicholson
I'm running Evolution 3.36.4-2 on Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid 64-bit.

When I'm editing an email the spell checker spots unknown words and
underlines them in red. If I right-click on one of those words I can
correct it from any of the dictionaries I've configured Evolution to
use, or I can make Evolution ignore the word. I don't see where
Evolution lets me add the word to a dictionary by right-clicking the
word.

It seems that I have to go through the more cumbersome UI of
Edit→"Check Spelling" (which renders the edit window uneditable).

Is there a way to let me add a new word to a desired dictionary by
right-clicking the word?

Thanks.

Re: Adding to spellcheck dictionary from Evolution?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-09-23 at 21:01 -0500, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> If I right-click on one of those words I can correct it from any of
> the dictionaries I've configured Evolution to use, or I can make
> Evolution ignore the word. I don't see where Evolution lets me add
> the word to a dictionary by right-clicking the word.

        Hi,
that works properly for me, I have enabled "English (United States)"
dictionary and when I write "dogg" and right-click it I see 6
alternatives for the word, under which is "Ignore Misspelled Word" and
right below it "Add Word to Dictionary".

When I have enabled more dictionaries, then the offered alternatives
and the "Add Word To" becomes submenus, the later with each enabled
dictionary as subitems.

This is with 3.36.5, but I do not think it's any different from your
3.36.4 in this regard.

Whether the Add and Ignore items are visible depends on the selected
languages for the spell checking. I see that when the Ignore is visible
at least one of the Add items is visible as well.

I suppose you do not have any e-html-editor-manager.ui under your home
directory, do you? When you check content of
   /usr/share/evolution/ui/e-html-editor-manager.ui
it does contain
   <menu action='context-spell-add-menu'/>
   <menuitem action='context-spell-add'/>
right?

Re: Adding to spellcheck dictionary from Evolution?

J.B. Nicholson
Hi Milan,

Thanks so much for your work on Evolution and your responses to me.

It appears that my previous post was over a 60 KB per post limit. I'll
resend the same post minus one of the attachments in the hope that this
smaller post will make it through to the list in a timely fashion.

On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 09:13 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> that works properly for me, I have enabled "English (United States)"
> dictionary and when I write "dogg" and right-click it I see 6
> alternatives for the word, under which is "Ignore Misspelled Word"
> and right below it "Add Word to Dictionary".

I see only the dictionary languages (in which are only replacement
options), "Ignore Mispelled Word", Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, and
"Paste Quotation". If the screenshot makes it to the list, you'll see I
don't have "Add Word to Dictionary" in the main menu or the English
language dictionary submenu. I tested this by starting a new email,
typing "dogg " (the trailing space gets Evolution to see 'dogg' as a
word) and then right-clicking on the misspelled word.

Also, by the way, I've inadvertently discovered a crashing bug -- drag
an attachment into the attachment area and Evolution dies. I can
relaunch Evolution and have it recover the windows in which I was
editing something.

> When I have enabled more dictionaries, then the offered alternatives
> and the "Add Word To" becomes submenus, the later with each enabled
> dictionary as subitems.

I've got "English (United States)", French, and Spanish enabled and I
get no "Add Word To" menu at all.

> I suppose you do not have any e-html-editor-manager.ui under your
> home directory, do you?

No:

$ find ~ -name 'e-html-editor-manager.ui' -type f -print
$

No results.

> When you check content of
>    /usr/share/evolution/ui/e-html-editor-manager.ui
> it does contain
>    <menu action='context-spell-add-menu'/>
>    <menuitem action='context-spell-add'/>
> right?

Yes, those lines are in there:

> <popup name='context-menu'>
>   <placeholder name='context-spell-suggest'/>
>   <menu action='context-more-suggestions-menu'/>
>   <separator/>
>   <menuitem action='context-spell-ignore'/>
>   <menu action='context-spell-add-menu'/>
>   <menuitem action='context-spell-add'/>

are a few of the lines in that file leading up to the lines you
mentioned.

$ sha256sum /usr/share/evolution/ui/e-html-editor-manager.ui
cf6ec1f79faf653788b9ddd348c67909ef7aad45a81cf7f12d7fd4cf1cabea49  /usr/
share/evolution/ui/e-html-editor-manager.ui

Screenshot_20200924_185820.png (35K) Download Attachment

I wrote:
> I see only the dictionary languages (in which are only replacement
> options), "Ignore Mispelled Word", Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, and
> "Paste Quotation". If the screenshot makes it to the list, you'll see
> I don't have "Add Word to Dictionary" in the main menu or the English
> language dictionary submenu.

An update to this: I *do* get the option to add the word to a
dictionary for the Subject: header, but I do not get that option for
the body text. I'm puzzled as to why that would be or what I can do to
fix that.

On Thu, 2020-09-24 at 23:39 -0500, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> An update to this: I *do* get the option to add the word to a
> dictionary for the Subject: header, but I do not get that option for
> the body text. I'm puzzled as to why that would be or what I can do
> to fix that.

        Hi,
the Subject entry uses a different mechanism/code.

I've been able to reproduce it when I select multiple languages in the
Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->Spell checking, but not when I
add the languages in the composer itself, in Edit->Current Languages.

Would you mind to file a bug, to have it tracked, please?
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/new
That's okay if you won't/cannot, just let me know.

        Thanks and bye,

On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 08:56 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> That's okay if you won't/cannot, just let me know.

        Hi,
for anyone whom would like to follow this issue, I filled:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1123