Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

John Edward Serink
Hi All:

Using evolution 3.22.6.

My address book is only pulling the email address from my company's google contacts list.
Is there a way to allow it to pull in all the information?

Cheers,
john
-- 
John Edward Serink Product Applications Engineer, Advanced Positioning Trimble Navigation Singapore PTE Ltd. 80 Marine Parade Road, Co. Reg. No. 199204958W #22-06 Parkway Parade Singapore 449269 Tel 65-6348-2212 Fax 65-6348-2232 DID 65-6348-2178 HP  65-9129-4250 Skype: johnserink

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 08:38 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
> Using evolution 3.22.6.
>
> My address book is only pulling the email address from my company's google contacts list.
> Is there a way to allow it to pull in all the information?

        Hi,
if it's pure Google, then evolution shows all it can get from the
information the Google server returned. I suppose you have this address
book configured as Google type, not as any other type.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

John Edward Serink
Hi Milan:

How do I configure it as a 'google type' verses another type?

Cheers,
John
-- 
John Edward Serink Product Applications Engineer, Advanced Positioning Trimble Navigation Singapore PTE Ltd. 80 Marine Parade Road, Co. Reg. No. 199204958W #22-06 Parkway Parade Singapore 449269 Tel 65-6348-2212 Fax 65-6348-2232 DID 65-6348-2178 HP  65-9129-4250 Skype: johnserink

On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 08:52 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 08:38 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
Using evolution 3.22.6. My address book is only pulling the email address from my company's google contacts list. Is there a way to allow it to pull in all the information?
Hi, if it's pure Google, then evolution shows all it can get from the information the Google server returned. I suppose you have this address book configured as Google type, not as any other type. Bye, Milan _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 14:59 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
> How do I configure it as a 'google type' verses another type?

        Hi,
if you select that book in the Contacts view and right-click and pick
Properties from there, it shows "Type: Google", or instead of Google it
shows your email address, right?

I still do not know how you've configured it now. Was it through GNOME
Online Accounts, where you picked Google account and there enabled the
Contacts part?

Your issue would make more sense with Exchange Web Services (EWS),
which allows two different methods of  accessing Global Address List,
where one shows only email address (also depending on server side
settings) and the other one shows as much detailed information as it
can. But this is EWS, not Google.

Evolution uses libgdata to access Google address books. Google
advertises also WebDAV (CardDAV) entry point, but Evolution cannot do
OAuth authentication for WebDAV (as of 3.24.x, the next 3.26.x will be
able to use OAuth also for WebDAV, most likely), thus it's not an
option as of now.

I mean, if you truly have a Google address book, then I'm not aware of
any Evolution-side setting which would make a difference in what
information is shown for downloaded contacts.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

John Edward Serink
Hi Milan:

Many thanx for the suggestions.
I am using GOA and contacts is set to on.

There is no "google" setting in the address book or contacts properties.
I'm using data-server 22.7 and evolution 22.6.

Cheers,
John

-- 

On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 09:21 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 14:59 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
How do I configure it as a 'google type' verses another type?
Hi, if you select that book in the Contacts view and right-click and pick Properties from there, it shows "Type: Google", or instead of Google it shows your email address, right? I still do not know how you've configured it now. Was it through GNOME Online Accounts, where you picked Google account and there enabled the Contacts part? Your issue would make more sense with Exchange Web Services (EWS), which allows two different methods of accessing Global Address List, where one shows only email address (also depending on server side settings) and the other one shows as much detailed information as it can. But this is EWS, not Google. Evolution uses libgdata to access Google address books. Google advertises also WebDAV (CardDAV) entry point, but Evolution cannot do OAuth authentication for WebDAV (as of 3.24.x, the next 3.26.x will be able to use OAuth also for WebDAV, most likely), thus it's not an option as of now. I mean, if you truly have a Google address book, then I'm not aware of any Evolution-side setting which would make a difference in what information is shown for downloaded contacts. Bye, Milan _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 15:49 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
> I am using GOA and contacts is set to on.
>
> There is no "google" setting in the address book or contacts properties.

        Hi,
okay, in that case it seems like the Google server provides only that
limited information, or the evolution code (and in turn the libgdata
code) doesn't know how to process it, but it's rather unlikely, from my
point of view.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

John Edward Serink
Hi Milan:

Ok.
Should I rebuild libgdata with 'vala' enabled?

Cheers,
John
-- 
John Edward Serink Product Applications Engineer, Advanced Positioning Trimble Navigation Singapore PTE Ltd. 80 Marine Parade Road, Co. Reg. No. 199204958W #22-06 Parkway Parade Singapore 449269 Tel 65-6348-2212 Fax 65-6348-2232 DID 65-6348-2178 HP  65-9129-4250 Skype: johnserink

On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 10:17 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 15:49 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
I am using GOA and contacts is set to on. There is no "google" setting in the address book or contacts properties.
Hi, okay, in that case it seems like the Google server provides only that limited information, or the evolution code (and in turn the libgdata code) doesn't know how to process it, but it's rather unlikely, from my point of view. Bye, Milan _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 16:32 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
> Should I rebuild libgdata with 'vala' enabled?

        Hi,
no, that won't help. Vala support is for language bindings, thus
anything using Vala can access libgdata structures easily. That's not
the case of the evolution-data-server.

You can see what the Google server returns, which will also prove
whether my expectations are correct, by following these steps:
1) close evolution
2) close/kill evolution-addressbook-factory (ps ax | grep evolution)
3) go to ~/.cache/evolution/addressbook/ and delete there a subfolder
   which corresponds to your Google contacts. If unsure, then delete
   them all - the worst it will do is that it'll download everything
   again for all your remote address books.
4) open a terminal and issue these commands there:
   $ export G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all
   $ export LIBGDATA_DEBUG=255
   $ /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory -w

   The actual path to evolution-addressbook-factory can differ in your
   distribution.
5) wait a bit, thus D-Bus will have registered this addressbook factory
6) run evolution, move to contacts and select the Google address book

Shortly after the book is selected the evolution-addressbook-factory
will have new debug information printed, some prefixed with libgdata.
Those will show what was received from the server. Evolution shows all
it can read, and my own addressbook on the Google server provides
definitely more than just email address.

        Hope it helps,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

John Edward Serink
Hi Milan:

Ok. I deleted the address book that was there, ~48Mbytes.


Did the exports as you advised below while logged in as myself in a terminal and restarted evolution.
As you said, the address book (contacts) repopulated albeit exactly the same as before. Contacts that I had, NOT inside the company, load with all their details, the company stuff that our IS guys ported over from the exchange address book show on the email addresses, nothing else.

Its still loading, at 7,000 contacts so far. The debug terminal is very busy, will send a sample output when its done.

Cheers,
john

-- 


On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 10:41 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 16:32 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
Should I rebuild libgdata with 'vala' enabled?
Hi, no, that won't help. Vala support is for language bindings, thus anything using Vala can access libgdata structures easily. That's not the case of the evolution-data-server. You can see what the Google server returns, which will also prove whether my expectations are correct, by following these steps: 1) close evolution 2) close/kill evolution-addressbook-factory (ps ax | grep evolution) 3) go to ~/.cache/evolution/addressbook/ and delete there a subfolder which corresponds to your Google contacts. If unsure, then delete them all - the worst it will do is that it'll download everything again for all your remote address books. 4) open a terminal and issue these commands there: $ export G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all $ export LIBGDATA_DEBUG=255 $ /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory -w The actual path to evolution-addressbook-factory can differ in your distribution. 5) wait a bit, thus D-Bus will have registered this addressbook factory 6) run evolution, move to contacts and select the Google address book Shortly after the book is selected the evolution-addressbook-factory will have new debug information printed, some prefixed with libgdata. Those will show what was received from the server. Evolution shows all it can read, and my own addressbook on the Google server provides definitely more than just email address. Hope it helps, Milan _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Address book pulls in only email addresses from google contacts

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 17:10 +0800, John Edward Serink wrote:
> libgdata-DEBUG: < Content-Type: image/jpeg

        Hi,
the above is when downloading images for your contacts. It's not the
contact itself.

Search the log (I didn't suggest to redirect it to a file [1], I'm
sorry) for something like:

   libgdata-DEBUG: <  <entry gd:etag="&quot;xxx.&quot;">
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <id>http://www.google.com/m8/feeds/contacts/xxx/base/xxx</id>;;
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <updated>2015-05-09T01:45:42.989Z</updated>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <app:edited xmlns:app="http://www.w3.org/2007/app">2015-05-09T01:45:42.989Z</app:edited>;;
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <category scheme="http://schemas.google.com/g/2005#kind" term="http://schemas.google.com/contact/2008#contact"/>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <title>zzzz</title>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <link rel="http://schemas.google.com/contacts/2008/rel#photo" type="image/*" href="https://www.google.com/m8/feeds/photos/media/xxx/xxx"/>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <link rel="self" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://www.google.com/m8/feeds/contacts/xxx/full/xxx"/>;;
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <link rel="edit" type="application/atom+xml" href="https://www.google.com/m8/feeds/contacts/xxx/full/xxx"/>;;
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <gd:name>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <    <gd:fullName>zzzz</gd:fullName>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <    <gd:givenName>zzzz</gd:givenName>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   </gd:name>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <gContact:groupMembershipInfo deleted="false" href="http://www.google.com/m8/feeds/groups/xxx/base/6"/>;;
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <gd:extendedProperty name="ContactId" value="610222_xxx"/>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <   <gd:extendedProperty name="CtsContactHash" value="xxx"/>
   libgdata-DEBUG: <  </entry>

Or simply for some name or mail you see in the UI, then the data
between <entry ...></entry> is relevant.

> libgdata-DEBUG: <   <internalReason>Bad updated-min timestamp format:
> 2017-04-10T08:53:43.000001 00:00</internalReason>

I see this one too, it's this:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=780067
and it happens when evolution-data-server tries to get changes since
the last update. That date/time is stored in the local cache, in the
place you deleted earlier.

        Bye,
        Milan

[1]  /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory -w &>log.txt

--
Milan Crha <[hidden email]>
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Loading...