AppImage version?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AppImage version?

David Burleigh
It would be really nice for us users of Ubuntu or Mint LTS versions if someone would build an AppImage or FlatPak version of Evolution 3.24, as it seems as if Gnome 3.24 is at least a year away from those LTS versions.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AppImage version?

David Burleigh
On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 09:31 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
It would be really nice for us users of Ubuntu or Mint LTS versions if someone would build an AppImage or FlatPak version of Evolution 3.24, as it seems as if Gnome 3.24 is at least a year away from those LTS versions.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Well, maybe I'll give it a try myself. If I were to build Evolution 3.24 to create an AppImage, what would be the best distribution to build it on? I suppose it would need to be running Gnome 3.24. I thought I would install that distribution in a virtual box and build the AppImage there. Would Debian Stretch be the best platform?

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AppImage version?

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 03:56 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:

> On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 09:31 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> > It would be really nice for us users of Ubuntu or Mint LTS versions
> > if someone would build an AppImage or FlatPak version of Evolution
> > 3.24, as it seems as if Gnome 3.24 is at least a year away from
> > those LTS versions.
> >
> Well, maybe I'll give it a try myself. If I were to build Evolution
> 3.24 to create an AppImage, what would be the best distribution to
> build it on? I suppose it would need to be running Gnome 3.24. I
> thought I would install that distribution in a virtual box and build
> the AppImage there. Would Debian Stretch be the best platform?

What criteria are implied by using the word "best"? I have no idea
about "AppImage" so I have no idea what to reply to your question.

So.... maybe just try and see if it works? :)

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AppImage version?

David Burleigh
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 15:03 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 03:56 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 09:31 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
It would be really nice for us users of Ubuntu or Mint LTS versions if someone would build an AppImage or FlatPak version of Evolution 3.24, as it seems as if Gnome 3.24 is at least a year away from those LTS versions.
Well, maybe I'll give it a try myself. If I were to build Evolution 3.24 to create an AppImage, what would be the best distribution to build it on? I suppose it would need to be running Gnome 3.24. I thought I would install that distribution in a virtual box and build the AppImage there. Would Debian Stretch be the best platform?
What criteria are implied by using the word "best"? I have no idea about "AppImage" so I have no idea what to reply to your question. So.... maybe just try and see if it works? :) andre

Just looking for a stable configuration that is known to do a clean build of Evolution 3.24.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AppImage version?

Youssef Mahmoud
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 09:20 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> Just looking for a stable configuration that is known to do a clean
> build of Evolution 3.24.

I would imagine that Arch is a good way to go since they're very close
to upstream, both in terms of timing and configuration.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AppImage version?

Dominic Knight
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 09:28 -0400, Youssef Mahmoud wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 09:20 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> > Just looking for a stable configuration that is known to do a clean
> > build of Evolution 3.24.
>
> I would imagine that Arch is a good way to go since they're very
> close
> to upstream, both in terms of timing and configuration.
>
If you are just looking for a (Stable) distro to build the flatpak and
delete then I suggest you go via redhat/fedora as the web site build
instructions are designed for that and will give you least hassle
finding dependencies with matching names.

Just tried a quick build of the 3.25.3 branch via Buster/Debian but too
many libraries haven't yet made it to the testing branch or are under
different names  for me to trouble to continue spending hours in this
way. krb5-devel/openLDAP-devel/GRC-devel/gtk3-devel/webkitgtk4-devel
etc,etc would all need finding and building first.

YMMV
Cheers,
Dom.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AppImage version?

David Burleigh
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 15:46 +0100, Dominic Knight wrote:
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 09:28 -0400, Youssef Mahmoud wrote:
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 09:20 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
Just looking for a stable configuration that is known to do a clean build of Evolution 3.24.
I would imagine that Arch is a good way to go since they're very close to upstream, both in terms of timing and configuration.
If you are just looking for a (Stable) distro to build the flatpak and delete then I suggest you go via redhat/fedora as the web site build instructions are designed for that and will give you least hassle finding dependencies with matching names. Just tried a quick build of the 3.25.3 branch via Buster/Debian but too many libraries haven't yet made it to the testing branch or are under different names for me to trouble to continue spending hours in this way. krb5-devel/openLDAP-devel/GRC-devel/gtk3-devel/webkitgtk4-devel etc,etc would all need finding and building first. YMMV Cheers, Dom. _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Thank you, that's just what I needed to know.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: AppImage version?

Milan Crha
In reply to this post by David Burleigh
On Wed, 2017-06-21 at 09:20 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> Just looking for a stable configuration that is known to do a clean
> build of Evolution 3.24.

        Hi,
just a note that evolution requires evolution-data-server of the same
version (that's one of the issues, because other (also system)
components depend on the evolution-data-server, thus it expands to
build more than just eds & evo, if you want to use the system prefix).

When you'll be in it, you might want to build also evolution-ews as
part of the package, which, I believe, enterprise users would
appreciate. The evolution-ews doesn't add any new dependencies.

This is not for flatpack, but maybe you'll find this article
interesting and useful:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Building

To get an inspiration, gnome-calendar is already built under flatpak,
with its evolution-data-server, thus you can, maybe, reuse it and
replace gnome-calendar with evolution (and add evolution-ews).
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-calendar/tree/org.gnome.Calendar.json
(I swear I saw it somewhere already built, like in flatpak
applications, but it's not there now, thus it was possibly elsewhere).

        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list