Archive option greyed out

Christopher Marlow-3
Hi Ya'll,

I just wanted to ask a question..

I am using Pop3 and I went into evolution by going to Edit >
Preferences > clicked on my account > Defaults, and I told evo what I
wanted my default archives folder to be and when I get an email and I
want to archive it after I have read it, I go up to the toolbar and try
to click the archive button and its greyed out.

I even tried CTRL ALT A and that doesnt work.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Chris

Evolution Calendar - Go To Date Behavior

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.2
Linux Mint 19.3 (Ubuntu 18.04)
Cinnamon 4.4.8

This is an observation and isn't a critical thing (to me).

In the version of Evolution I have (from the stock software repository),
I prefer to keep the 'month' view.

I have found that, using the 'small' calendar in the lower left area of
the Evo Calendar window, rapidly clicking the forward/back arrows for
either the month or the year will switch the main calendar pane to 'day'
view where it will remain until reset via the selection along the top.

Clicking more slowly on the month or year arrows does NOT switch to
'day' view.

Since (my interpretation) of the main reason to use the month/day
selector IS to rapidly go to another date, this behavior seem a bit odd.

I did look in the issue tracker but, frankly, I can't think of a way to
search for this behavior.

In any event, this is more of something I happened to notice rather than
a major problem.

Ed

--
Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Cinnamon 4.4.8

Re: Archive option greyed out

On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 12:00 -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:

> I am using Pop3 and I went into evolution by going to Edit >
> Preferences > clicked on my account > Defaults, and I told evo what I
> wanted my default archives folder to be and when I get an email and I
> want to archive it after I have read it, I go up to the toolbar and
> try
> to click the archive button and its greyed out.
>
> I even tried CTRL ALT A and that doesnt work.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

See "Help 🡒 Contents 🡒 Mail Management 🡒 Account Management 🡒 POP
mail account settings 🡒 Mail folder locations" in 3.34 or later.

Re: Evolution Calendar - Go To Date Behavior

On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 14:53 -0400, AtomicCanine via evolution-list
wrote:
> 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.2
> Linux Mint 19.3 (Ubuntu 18.04)
> Cinnamon 4.4.8

        Hi,
first of all, you stole a thread [1]. It's not enough to change the
subject and the body and expect the message will be new; in other
words, if you want to start a new thread, then do it by creating a new
message, not by reply/forward an old message and change subject and the
body. It can be done by clicking the mailing list address. I believe
Thunderbird (68.7.0) can do it as well.

> I have found that, using the 'small' calendar in the lower left area
> of the Evo Calendar window, rapidly clicking the forward/back arrows
> for either the month or the year will switch the main calendar pane
> to 'day' view where it will remain until reset via the selection
> along the top.

The changes in the selection are made asynchronously. Going
back/forward can confuse it. There had been done a possibly related
change semi-recently [2], for 3.32.1+. I guess it's what you face, you
might click that quickly that it looked like a double-click for gtk+
and it caused the [2].

[1] See that your message is placed below an unrelated thread:
    https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-April/thread.html

[2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/286

wrote:
> 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.2
> Linux Mint 19.3 (Ubuntu 18.04)
> Cinnamon 4.4.8
>

> This is an observation and isn't a critical thing (to me).

Please don't hijack threads. If you want to introduce a new topic,
compose a *new* email, don't reply to an existing one. The fact that
you changed the Subject line makes absolutely no difference; your mail
is still part of the same thread you replied to.

Importing personal certificate

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Dear all,

I'm failing to import my (new) personal certificate (*.p12 format and issued by TERENA/DigiCert) to Evolution (3.36.1).

Asked for a password when trying to import:

Enter the password for "NSS User Private Key and Certificate Services", token "NSS Certificate DB"

but my password is not accepted and the same password question pops up again.

The p12 certificate file imports well in Firefox, which makes me believe that the certificate bundle is sound.

Three years since I did this in Evolution (on my old, now expired, certificate from TERENA/DigiCert) and, if I remember correctly, it used to be quite straight forward.

Have searched the web and looked in the Evolution documentation, but could not find a solution that worked for me.

Any pointers in the right direction?

Regards,

Ove E

Re: Importing personal certificate

On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 18:36 +0200, Ove Edfors via evolution-list wrote:
> Any pointers in the right direction?

        Hi,
you know, it's quite funny that you hijack a thread by replying to a
message, which discussed thread hijacking and said it is a bad idea and
which... Just funny...

Let's try to be helpful:

Evolution can ask you two passwords. One is to unlock your certificate
store, the other one is to unlock the .p12/.pfx file. Those use
different passwords, the former uses the password you chose the first
time you ran Evolution/wanted to import your certificate, if I recall
correctly.

I would try to export the key (including the private key) from Firefox
and import it to Evolution. This worked for me. Ideally use some ASCII
password for the file, to avoid issues with UTF-8 letters in it.

Re: Importing personal certificate

On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 18:36 +0200, Ove Edfors via evolution-list wrote:
> I'm failing to import my (new) personal certificate (*.p12 format
> and issued by TERENA/DigiCert) to Evolution (3.36.1).

Which part of *Please do not hijack threads* did you not understand?

When you have a new topic, COMPOSE A NEW MESSAGE. Do NOT reply to an
existing one. To repeat: changing the Subject line DOES NOT FIX THIS.

Apologies for shouting.

Re: Importing personal certificate

George Reeke
On Wed, 2020-04-22 at 09:53 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 18:36 +0200, Ove Edfors via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > I'm failing to import my (new) personal certificate (*.p12 format
> > and issued by TERENA/DigiCert) to Evolution (3.36.1).
>
> Which part of *Please do not hijack threads* did you not understand?
>
> When you have a new topic, COMPOSE A NEW MESSAGE. Do NOT reply to an
> existing one. To repeat: changing the Subject line DOES NOT FIX THIS.

I got called on this years ago and learned my lesson.  How about
changing the code so changing the subject line DOES start a new
thread?  That would stop this mistake from happening.
George Reeke

Re: Importing personal certificate

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2020-04-22 at 07:21 -0400, George Reeke wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-04-22 at 09:53 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > When you have a new topic, COMPOSE A NEW MESSAGE. Do NOT reply to an
> > existing one. To repeat: changing the Subject line DOES NOT FIX THIS.
> >
> I got called on this years ago and learned my lesson.  How about
> changing the code so changing the subject line DOES start a new
> thread?  That would stop this mistake from happening.

Creating nonobvious technical behavior to work around lack of awareness
of expectations in specific (sub)cultures is usually not a good idea.

There are legit cases when to change the subject and keep the thread,
e.g. when splitting out via "Some subaspect [was: Re: Some aspect]".

Just because I wrote all in capital letters and I might not know that
it implies shouting does not mean software should convert everything to
non-capital letters. There are still legit use cases for shouting. ;)

Re: Importing personal certificate

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2020-04-23 at 10:06 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-04-22 at 07:21 -0400, George Reeke wrote:
> > On Wed, 2020-04-22 at 09:53 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > When you have a new topic, COMPOSE A NEW MESSAGE. Do NOT reply to an
> > > existing one. To repeat: changing the Subject line DOES NOT FIX THIS.
> > >
> > I got called on this years ago and learned my lesson.  How about
> > changing the code so changing the subject line DOES start a new
> > thread?  That would stop this mistake from happening.
>
> Creating nonobvious technical behavior to work around lack of awareness
> of expectations in specific (sub)cultures is usually not a good idea.
>
> There are legit cases when to change the subject and keep the thread,
> e.g. when splitting out via "Some subaspect [was: Re: Some aspect]".
>
> Just because I wrote all in capital letters and I might not know that
> it implies shouting does not mean software should convert everything to
> non-capital letters. There are still legit use cases for shouting. ;)

Plus the fact that people occasionally post using MUAs other than Evo
itself, so wouldn't be affected by any such change.