CSV file will not import.

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hello everyone
I am using Evolution 3.36.2-0ubuntu1
I exported my Contacts into a CSV file, did some editing and then tried to import the file into a new address book. The information from the file did not load properly. All I got was a series of small rectangles with no information in them.
I also tried it with and without the headers, and a small file of three records.
Any ideas?
Thanks
John Kerr
Guelph, Ontario Canada.

--
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the human race." -- H.G. Wells

Re: CSV file will not import.

Andre Klapper
On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 11:33 -0400, John Kerr via evolution-list wrote:
> I am using Evolution 3.36.2-0ubuntu1
> I exported my Contacts into a CSV file, did some editing and then
> tried to import the file into a new address book. The information
> from the file did not load properly. All I got was a series of small
> rectangles with no information in them.
> I also tried it with and without the headers, and a small file of
> three records.
> Any ideas?

Hard to say as CSV is one of the most broken file "formats" ever.
Is there a reason why not to use a sane format such as vcard/vcf?

Which character encoding does your CSV file have?
Which line ending style does your CSV file use?

Re: CSV file will not import.

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hello everyone,
I am using CSV because I wanted to place my records in a spreadsheet to
clean them up.

I exported the Contacts to CSV file and then opened the file up in
LibreOffice Calc and after editing I saved it in CSV. I wonder now
if there is something silly happening with the way LibreOffice Calc
saves my CSV file.

Thank you for your quick response Andre.
John

On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 18:08 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 11:33 -0400, John Kerr via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > I am using Evolution 3.36.2-0ubuntu1
> > I exported my Contacts into a CSV file, did some editing and then
> > tried to import the file into a new address book. The information
> > from the file did not load properly. All I got was a series of
> > small
> > rectangles with no information in them.
> > I also tried it with and without the headers, and a small file of
> > three records.
> > Any ideas?
>
> Hard to say as CSV is one of the most broken file "formats" ever.
> Is there a reason why not to use a sane format such as vcard/vcf?
>
> Which character encoding does your CSV file have?
> Which line ending style does your CSV file use?
>
> Cheers,
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: CSV file will not import.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I use a similar technique weekly
for importing tasks into Evolution. Weekly editing done in LibreOffice
Calc, saved as CSV. I noticed that tasks import with .ics files so
wrote a python script to convert for my particular application. The
imports have been working fine until the last one on Sat. 6/6. In
attempting to use the import menu item and dialog it failed. When I
right-clicked the file in nautilus to open with Evolution, all works
beautifully again!

Manjaro 20.0.3 - Evolution 3.36.3

Allen
--
 <[hidden email]>

wrote:
> I exported the Contacts to CSV file and then opened the file up in
> LibreOffice Calc and after editing I saved it in CSV. I wonder now
> if there is something silly happening with the way LibreOffice Calc
> saves my CSV file.

        Hi,
supposing Calc writes correct CSV (the separator is a comma, not a
tab), you can use three different CSV import types, depending from
which application you exported the values. The best to import the file
from a command line, like this (you can execute it with evolution
already running):

    $ evolution --import /tmp/file.csv

which will open an import dialog, where you can also see what will be
imported, aka there's a preview of the data as being processed by
respective formats. Pick the format which works the best. I mean, if
you exported the contacts from Evolution, then pick the Evolution
format, not Mozilla, nor Outlook format.