Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

12

Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
I just enstalled Evolution a couple days ago. I do not see a Help to get
the version. My problem Yesterday I entered a group of family birthdays.
and the two appointments. later in the day The only way I could find
them was in the To Do list. Today I get the message "Failed to open
calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” and the same for
personal. What did I do to  mess up.

Thank you.

Richard E. Barmann

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 14:34 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
> I do not see a Help to get the version.

Hi,

if you don't see a menu bar, then press the Alt-key and V. Select
"Layout" and check "Show Menu Bar".

In the menu bar there is a menu named "Help". Click the "Help" menu and
in that menu "About".

You could also open a terminal and run

  evolution -v

What operating system are you using? Regarding your email headers I
suspect Linux. If so, what distro / release are you using?

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
I am using Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.  left Kubuntu for this becuse I am
87 and think it will be easier to teach my son how to run the business
.
n Tue, 2019-07-02 at 22:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 14:34 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
> > I do not see a Help to get the version.
>
> Hi,
>
> if you don't see a menu bar, then press the Alt-key and V. Select
> "Layout" and check "Show Menu Bar".
>
> In the menu bar there is a menu named "Help". Click the "Help" menu
> and
> in that menu "About".
>
> You could also open a terminal and run
>
>   evolution -v
>
> What operating system are you using? Regarding your email headers I
> suspect Linux. If so, what distro / release are you using?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
I am using Evolution 3.32.2
Richard
On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 22:29 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 14:34 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
> > I do not see a Help to get the version.
>
> Hi,
>
> if you don't see a menu bar, then press the Alt-key and V. Select
> "Layout" and check "Show Menu Bar".
>
> In the menu bar there is a menu named "Help". Click the "Help" menu
> and
> in that menu "About".
>
> You could also open a terminal and run
>
>   evolution -v
>
> What operating system are you using? Regarding your email headers I
> suspect Linux. If so, what distro / release are you using?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 14:34 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
> later in the day The only way I could find
> them was in the To Do list.

        Hi,
I suppose you entered the Birthdays in the Contacts view, aka menu
View->Window->Contacts. Am I right?

> Today I get the message "Failed to open
> calendar “Contacts : Birthdays & Anniversaries” and the same for
> personal.

It should also show the reason, just below this message, which is
supposed to explain the reason. Without that it's really hard to guess
what could went wrong. You can select that text and copy it, no need to
type it manually.

You can also run from a terminal the calendar factory process, which
can print some issues there. Not always, some are propagated into the
UI (as they should), but some can. The command to run looks like this:

   $ /usr/libexec/evolution-calendar-factory -w

The actual path can differ in your system. After this wait a second or
two (to let the process time to register in D-Bus) and then run
evolution. You can run it from a different terminal too, it can also
print certain issues on the console only.

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
Yes I enterede the Birthdays in the contacts. The reason for not
opening the Birthdays is "Unable to connect to “Personal”: No such
source for UID “system-calendar”
Can you please help.
Richard Barmann

On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 11:53 -0400, Richard wrote:
> Yes I enterede the Birthdays in the contacts. The reason for not
> opening the Birthdays is "Unable to connect to “Personal”: No such
> source for UID “system-calendar”

        Hi,
the "system-calendar" is a built-in always available calendar. It
should be created on demand. One such named file (with a ".source"
extension) might be located in
   ~/.config/evolution/sources/
I tried to remove that file, then I restarted evolution-source-registry
and the file had been recreated. That may mean you've something with
that file or the folder. I would try to restart the machine, to see
whether the things will work properly again. If not, then verify the
folder content and whether the folder itself, and the files in it, have
read/write access for the owner. It says here:

   $ ls -l ~/.config/evolution/sources/system-calendar.source
   -rw-r--r-- 1 zyx zyx 2646 Jul  3 19:01 /home/zyx/.config/evolution/sources/system-calendar.source

I'd also verify your XDG config folder settings, the output of:

   $ set | grep XDG_CONFIG

may ideally return nothing, which means that the folder for the config
files is the default folder, which is ~/.config/. If you changed it
(the XDG_CONFIG is not a complete name of the environment variable
being used), then the path for the .source file will differ too. I do
not think it happened here though.

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
I appreciate Your Looking into my problem and trying to find a solution.
Sorry to say I am not savvy enough to follow your instructions. Is there
any thing I can do in simple language to solve this? I am afraid to go
into the code you have sent because I might mess up more than I cured.

Richard Barmann

On 7/3/19 1:09 PM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 11:53 -0400, Richard wrote:
>> Yes I enterede the Birthdays in the contacts. The reason for not
>> opening the Birthdays is "Unable to connect to “Personal”: No such
>> source for UID “system-calendar”
> Hi,
> the "system-calendar" is a built-in always available calendar. It
> should be created on demand. One such named file (with a ".source"
> extension) might be located in
>     ~/.config/evolution/sources/
> I tried to remove that file, then I restarted evolution-source-registry
> and the file had been recreated. That may mean you've something with
> that file or the folder. I would try to restart the machine, to see
> whether the things will work properly again. If not, then verify the
> folder content and whether the folder itself, and the files in it, have
> read/write access for the owner. It says here:
>
>     $ ls -l ~/.config/evolution/sources/system-calendar.source
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 zyx zyx 2646 Jul  3 19:01 /home/zyx/.config/evolution/sources/system-calendar.source
>
> I'd also verify your XDG config folder settings, the output of:
>
>     $ set | grep XDG_CONFIG
>
> may ideally return nothing, which means that the folder for the config
> files is the default folder, which is ~/.config/. If you changed it
> (the XDG_CONFIG is not a complete name of the environment variable
> being used), then the path for the .source file will differ too. I do
> not think it happened here though.

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
I can see the Birthdays in the "TO DO" bar but not in the calendar.
Richard Barmann

On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 17:42 -0400, Richard wrote:
> I can see the Birthdays in the "TO DO" bar but not in the calendar.

        Hi,
that can be because the Birthdays are provided by
Birthdays&Anniversaries calendar, not by the On This Computer/Personal
calendar. These are shown in the calendar if the corresponding calendar
is checked in the list of calendars on the left.

You claimed you use Evolution 3.32.2, but it looks like you use the
3.32.3 from Flatpak. Is that correct? At least using Flatpak changes a
lot of things, the directories are different and the overall work and
the way to debug things is very different from the host-system
installed Evolution.

In the Flatpak version, usual path to store user data is in:
   ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/data/evolution/calendar/system/
That's where the On This Computer/Personal stores its data.
The system-calendar.source file is stored in:
   ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/config/evolution/sources/

On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 15:29 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
> Sorry to say I am not savvy enough to follow your instructions. Is
> there any thing I can do in simple language to solve this? I am
> afraid to go into the code you have sent because I might mess up
> more than I cured.

If we are talking about the Flatpak version, then you cannot break
much. If you do not have much data setup in the Flatpak version, then
I'd suggest to start from scratch, that is:
a) restart the machine (this will make sure no background processes
   related to the Flatpak version of Evolution are running)
b) rename the Flatpak version directory, thus the next time you
   start Evolution it will create it from scratch. You can do it with:
   $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.bak
c) start the Flatpak version of Evolution. There will be no data, no
   accounts, just nothing, but there should not be any errors like before
   as well. You can always return back to the previous Flatpak version
   data when you run these two commands, ideally after restart (see a)):
   $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.new
   $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.bak ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution

Hope it helps to fix the system-calendar error.

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
You are right. I have the Flatpak. Where should I see the list of
Calendars? At the top left I see Birthdays and Anniverseries below the
Personal and contacts. Does that change the Calendar?

Thank you.Richard

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 08:57 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 17:42 -0400, Richard wrote:
> > I can see the Birthdays in the "TO DO" bar but not in the calendar.
>
> Hi,
> that can be because the Birthdays are provided by
> Birthdays&Anniversaries calendar, not by the On This
> Computer/Personal
> calendar. These are shown in the calendar if the corresponding
> calendar
> is checked in the list of calendars on the left.
>
> You claimed you use Evolution 3.32.2, but it looks like you use the
> 3.32.3 from Flatpak. Is that correct? At least using Flatpak changes
> lot of things, the directories are different and the overall work and
> the way to debug things is very different from the host-system
> installed Evolution.
>
> In the Flatpak version, usual path to store user data is in:
>    ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/data/evolution/calendar/system/
> That's where the On This Computer/Personal stores its data.
> The system-calendar.source file is stored in:
>    ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/config/evolution/sources/
>
> On Wed, 2019-07-03 at 15:29 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
> > Sorry to say I am not savvy enough to follow your instructions. Is
> > there any thing I can do in simple language to solve this? I am
> > afraid to go into the code you have sent because I might mess up
> > more than I cured.
>
> If we are talking about the Flatpak version, then you cannot break
> much. If you do not have much data setup in the Flatpak version, then
> I'd suggest to start from scratch, that is:
> a) restart the machine (this will make sure no background processes
>    related to the Flatpak version of Evolution are running)
> b) rename the Flatpak version directory, thus the next time you
>    start Evolution it will create it from scratch. You can do it
> with:
>    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
> ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.bak
> c) start the Flatpak version of Evolution. There will be no data, no
>    accounts, just nothing, but there should not be any errors like
> before
>    as well. You can always return back to the previous Flatpak
> version
>    data when you run these two commands, ideally after restart (see
> a)):
>    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
> ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.new
>    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.bak
> ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
>
> Hope it helps to fix the system-calendar error.

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 09:19 -0400, Richard wrote: Now I am unable to
open the contacts. What did I do?

> [...]
> > b) rename the Flatpak version directory, thus the next time you
> >    start Evolution it will create it from scratch. You can do it
> > with:
> >    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
> > ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.bak
> > c) start the Flatpak version of Evolution. There will be no data,
> > no
> >    accounts, just nothing, but there should not be any errors like
> > before
> >    as well. You can always return back to the previous Flatpak
> > version
> >    data when you run these two commands, ideally after restart (see
> > a)):
> >    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
> > ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.new
> >    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.bak
> > ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
> >
> > Hope it helps to fix the system-calendar error.

I see the Personal and addressbook but cannot get back to my contacts
in Birthdays, I had about 15 contacts entered in there. It would not
import so I entered them by hand. How can I restore them.
Richard

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 09:30 -0400, Richard wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 09:19 -0400, Richard wrote: Now I am unable to
> open the contacts. What did I do?
> > You are right. I have the Flatpak. Where should I see the list of
> > Calendars? At the top left I see Birthdays and Anniverseries below
> > the
> > Personal and contacts. Does that change the Calendar?
> >
> > Thank you.Richard
> >
> > On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 08:57 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > that can be because the Birthdays are provided by
> > > Birthdays&Anniversaries calendar, not by the On This
> > > Computer/Personal
> > > calendar. These are shown in the calendar if the corresponding
> > > calendar
> > > is checked in the list of calendars on the left.
> > >
> > > You claimed you use Evolution 3.32.2, but it looks like you use
> > > the
> > > 3.32.3 from Flatpak. Is that correct? At least using Flatpak
> > > changes
> > > lot of things, the directories are different and the overall work
> > > and
> > > the way to debug things is very different from the host-system
> > > installed Evolution.
> > >
> > > In the Flatpak version, usual path to store user data is in:
> > >    ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/data/evolution/calendar/system/
> > > That's where the On This Computer/Personal stores its data.
> > > The system-calendar.source file is stored in:
> > >    ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution/config/evolution/sources/

> > > If we are talking about the Flatpak version, then you cannot
> > > break
> > > much. If you do not have much data setup in the Flatpak version,
> > > then
> > > I'd suggest to start from scratch, that is:
> > > a) restart the machine (this will make sure no background
> > > processes
> > >    related to the Flatpak version of Evolution are running)
> > > b) rename the Flatpak version directory, thus the next time you
> > >    start Evolution it will create it from scratch. You can do it
> > > with:
> > >    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
> > > ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.bak
> > > c) start the Flatpak version of Evolution. There will be no data,
> > > no
> > >    accounts, just nothing, but there should not be any errors
> > > like
> > > before
> > >    as well. You can always return back to the previous Flatpak
> > > version
> > >    data when you run these two commands, ideally after restart
> > > (see
> > > a)):
> > >    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
> > > ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.new
> > >    $ mv ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution.bak
> > > ~/.var/app/org.gnome.Evolution
> > >
> > > Hope it helps to fix the system-calendar error.
> > > Bye,
> > > Milan

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 11:32 -0400, Richard wrote:I see my Family list
with Birthdays in reminders in the bottom margin. How can I move them
into the family contacts.

> I see the Personal and addressbook but cannot get back to my contacts
> in Birthdays, I had about 15 contacts entered in there. It would not
> import so I entered them by hand. How can I restore them.
> Richard
>

> On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 09:30 -0400, Richard wrote:
> > On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 09:19 -0400, Richard wrote: Now I am unable
> > open the contacts. What did I do?
> > > You are right. I have the Flatpak. Where should I see the list of
> > > Calendars? At the top left I see Birthdays and Anniverseries
> > > below
> > > the
> > > Personal and contacts. Does that change the Calendar?
> > >
> > > Thank you.Richard

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 11:32 -0400, Richard wrote:
> I see the Personal and addressbook but cannot get back to my contacts
> in Birthdays, I had about 15 contacts entered in there. It would not
> import so I entered them by hand. How can I restore them.

This is extremely hard to follow. Please try to add more complete and
more verbose information.

"Personal" is already an address book, I guess? If you cannot get back,
you need to explain why you cannot get back and what blocks you from
getting back. If you imported something, then please explain what you
imported how and from where.

You may want to provide a JPEG screenshot with less than 60kb in size
and without confidential info, if that helps exposing some problem.

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
I ame using Mint 19.1 Cinnomen. My problem in Evolution 3.32.3 Flatpak is I cannot get the Family ect calendar to open up. I had contacts with birthdays entered in it but now when I try to open it I get this message."Detailed error message: Unable to connect to “Personal”: No such source for UID “system-address-book” I am just very confused and may have to delete it and start very. I just wast a program similar to Kaddressbook to use in Mint. K addressbook will not work in Mint.
Thanks for any help.
Richard

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 19:27 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 11:32 -0400, Richard wrote:
I see the Personal and addressbook but cannot get back to my contacts
in Birthdays, I had about 15 contacts entered in there. It would not
import so I entered them by hand. How can I restore them.

This is extremely hard to follow. Please try to add more complete and
more verbose information.

"Personal" is already an address book, I guess? If you cannot get back,
you need to explain why you cannot get back and what blocks you from
getting back. If you imported something, then please explain what you
imported how and from where.

You may want to provide a JPEG screenshot with less than 60kb in size
and without confidential info, if that helps exposing some problem.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 14:23 -0400, Richard wrote:
> I ame using Mint 19.1 Cinnomen. My problem in Evolution 3.32.3 Flatpak
> is I cannot get the Family ect calendar to open up. I had contacts with
> birthdays entered in it but now when I try to open it I get this
> message."Detailed error message: Unable to connect to “Personal”: No
> such source for UID “system-address-book” I am just very confused and
> may have to delete it and start very. I just wast a program similar to
> Kaddressbook to use in Mint. K addressbook will not work in Mint.

Flatpack versions of Evolution run in an isolated environment and
cannot communicate with other Gnome components. This may explain why the calendar is not available.

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann
Is there another version or program that you would suggest. I am running
Mint and I want a contact, calendar, appointment, similar to kaddressbook.

I am using Thunderbird for a Email Program

Richard.

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 15:44 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
> Is there another version or program that you would suggest. I am running
> Mint and I want a contact, calendar, appointment, similar to kaddressbook.
>
> I am using Thunderbird for a Email Program

[Please don't top-post on this list]

I have to ask why you are trying to configure Evolution if you use
Tbird for email. Evolution is first and foremost an email client. The
other facilities (calendars, address books etc.) are mainly there to
support the email functions. I don't know if there's any way to get
TBird to collaborate with Evolution for calendars etc.

Re: Calendar Birthdays and Appointments

Richard Barmann

> On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 15:44 -0400, Richard Barmann wrote:
>> Is there another version or program that you would suggest. I am running
>> Mint and I want a contact, calendar, appointment, similar to kaddressbook.
>>
>> I am using Thunderbird for a Email Program
> What do you meann by top post. I will stop the Evolution Post and hope someone will suggest a good contact program
Richard
.

> [Please don't top-post on this list]
>
> I have to ask why you are trying to configure Evolution if you use
> Tbird for email. Evolution is first and foremost an email client. The
> other facilities (calendars, address books etc.) are mainly there to
> support the email functions. I don't know if there's any way to get
> TBird to collaborate with Evolution for calendars etc.
>
> poc

12