Can't authenticate yahoo imap

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
I've used Evolution on various Linux distributions for years.

I have two accounts @sbcglobal.net.

Both receive mail via imap.mail.yahoo.com on port 993 using TLS.

One works fine.

Starting yesterday, the other one asks for my password, then asks again, then asks again ....

The message is "Authentication Failed IMAP server said BYE: IMAPrev4 imap.mail.yahoo.com.

I didn't update any software.

I didn't change any settings.

I only sat down at my computer and clicked on the account's "Inbox" button.

I reloaded Evolution.

I rebooted.

I changed my password.

Nothing worked.

I have evolution on three different Linux installations, from Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS. I have the same behavior on all three computers.

What next?

Re: Can't authenticate yahoo imap

On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 17:23 -0800, Van Snyder via evolution-list wrote:
> What next?

One of several typos in my previous mail is "Evolution sent an
email...". It should read "Yahoo sent an email...". Actually they sent
more than just one related to the security (/ password) policy. IOW if
the issue can't be fixed by the hints we already provided, consider to
contact Yahoo support. I don't know how hard it is to get in contact
with support ;).

Re: Can't authenticate yahoo imap

Try to log in to Yahoo Mail using their web interface (i.e., via your browser).

At first, you can check if your password is still valid.

Second, go to settings and set a so-called “App Password” for Yahoo Mail. Use that App Password for connecting Evolution to your Yahoo IMAP account then.

Re: Can't authenticate yahoo imap

Yahoo have switched to Oauth. You need to change that setting in Evolution, or follow the instructions they sent out about using a 1-time password or other options.

Under Edit -> Accounts -> Mail accounts, under the account and receiving options. I don't have evolution on this machine so cannot check more sorry.

Changing to Oauth from whatever other method should fix this. Alternatively, removing and re-creating the account could also work - but that would also mean re-syncing the emails and that could be a long process if you retain a large amount of them.

(Apologies to others for sending responses off-list. I hit 'reply' by habit on Thunderbird instead of 'reply-list' which is in a slightly different place :( )