Cannot accept calendar invites from fellow Evolution user

Cannot accept calendar invites from fellow Evolution user

Youssef Mahmoud
Hello everyone,

I have a contact who regularly sends me calendar invites that he
generates using Evolution. I am unable to click on any of the interface
buttons that Evolution generates when rendering an email that has an
ICS attachment (Open Calendar, Decline, Tentative, Accept). The buttons
appear as clickable (not greyed out), but when I click on them, nothing
happens. I have run Evolution from the terminal to see if any error
messages are generated when I click, but there are not. If I open the
ICS file, the Evolution calendar event import wizard starts and I'm
able to add the event that way, but this method doesn't send a reply to
the organizer, so it is not ideal.

The strange thing is: he is my only contact who uses Evolution, and
also the only one with whom I have this problem. I'm able to use the
inline interface for invites just fine with all of my Outlook/Gmail/etc
contacts, but not with the one who sends me invites from Evolution.

We are both on Fedora 25 with Evolution 3.22.6.

Does anyone have any thoughts about how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Youssef

Re: Cannot accept calendar invites from fellow Evolution user

Milan Crha
On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 14:56 -0400, Youssef Mahmoud wrote:
> The strange thing is: he is my only contact who uses Evolution, and
> also the only one with whom I have this problem. I'm able to use the
> inline interface for invites just fine with all of my
> Outlook/Gmail/etc
> contacts, but not with the one who sends me invites from Evolution.
>
> We are both on Fedora 25 with Evolution 3.22.6.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about how to troubleshoot this?

        Hi,
I've unfortunately nothing in particular, at least for the given clues,
but maybe related, could it be that the invitation email content still
shows "Searching for an existing appointment..." above the buttons? It
also depends where you receive the message, because some folders are
treated as special folders, like Sent and Outbox, where is done no
searching for existing appointment. I do not think it's it, but just in
case.

Otherwise, if it's truly sender specific, do you have enabled search
for sender photograph, which might not block the itip mail processing,
but who knows. The option can be found in Edit->Preferences->Mail
Preferences->Headers tab.

Re: Cannot accept calendar invites from fellow Evolution user

Youssef Mahmoud
> Hi,
> I've unfortunately nothing in particular, at least for the given
> clues,
> but maybe related, could it be that the invitation email content
> still
> shows "Searching for an existing appointment..." above the buttons?

That is not the issue. It finishes searching and correctly shows
whether there is a conflict.

> It
> also depends where you receive the message, because some folders are
> treated as special folders, like Sent and Outbox, where is done no
> searching for existing appointment. I do not think it's it, but just
> in
> case.

I have successfully responded to invitations from others in the same
folder.

> Otherwise, if it's truly sender specific, do you have enabled search
> for sender photograph, which might not block the itip mail
> processing,
> but who knows. The option can be found in Edit->Preferences->Mail
> Preferences->Headers tab.

I do not have this setting enabled.

There is one clue I omitted from my initial message. The user who sends
me invites that I cannot respond to always sends two ICS attachments
per invite, both in the same message. They are identical except that
one has a newline at the end of the file and the other does not. I
asked him about this and he said he doesn't do it intentionally.

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 09:14 -0400, Youssef Mahmoud wrote:
> There is one clue I omitted from my initial message. The user who
> sends me invites that I cannot respond to always sends two ICS
> attachments per invite, both in the same message. They are identical
> except that one has a newline at the end of the file and the other
> does not. I asked him about this and he said he doesn't do it
> intentionally.

        Hi,
could you ask him to send you a test invitation, then right-click it in
your message list and choose "Save as mbox", then remove any private
information from that saved file and then send it only to me, thus I
could see what it looks like in practice, please? Evolution itself
doesn't send two attachments, if it's evolution sending it (it can send
also the server, like for example in case of evolution-ews).
        Thanks and bye,

On Mon, 2017-06-19 at 19:26 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> ... I could see what it looks like in practice, please?

        Hi,
thanks for the message (sent to me privately, as I requested). As far
as I can tell, that message is not sent by Evolution. There is
a User-Agent header which claims:

You begun with "user using also Evolution", thus I guess he/she doesn't
use it for calendar invitations. It doesn't matter that much, it was
only the most confusing part about your query.

The message itself has quite complicated structure (Evolution doesn't
send such structures with meeting invitations):

   multipart/mixed
     multipart/alternative
       text/plain
       multipart/related
         text/html
         image/png
       text/calendar (name=event-invitation.ics)
   application/ics (name=event-invitation.ics)

That's all valid and fine, only your evolution 3.22.6 doesn't handle it
properly. That had been fixed with [1], which is included in 3.24.0+.

[1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/commit/?id=4213ff83129b

Re: Cannot accept calendar invites from fellow Evolution user

Youssef Mahmoud
Milan, thank you for taking the time to look at this for me.

On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 08:55 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> As far
> as I can tell, that message is not sent by Evolution. There is
> a User-Agent header which claims:

> You begun with "user using also Evolution", thus I guess he/she
> doesn't
> use it for calendar invitations.

I have personally watched him use the Evolution interface to generate
the invitations in question.

> It doesn't matter that much, it was
> only the most confusing part about your query.

What other parts are confusing?

> The message itself has quite complicated structure (Evolution doesn't
> send such structures with meeting invitations):
>
>    multipart/mixed
>      multipart/alternative
>        text/plain
>        multipart/related
>          text/html
>          image/png
>        text/calendar (name=event-invitation.ics)
>    application/ics (name=event-invitation.ics)
>
> That's all valid and fine, only your evolution 3.22.6 doesn't handle
> it
> properly. That had been fixed with [1], which is included in 3.24.0+.
>
> [1] https://git.gnome.org/browse/evolution/commit/?id=4213ff83129b
Good to know that newer versions handle this correctly, though it will
be some time before most of the user base is at 3.24+. I'm not clear on
what the life-cycle of an Evolution release is. Do versions other than
current stable get bug fixes? And is your commit referenced above
considered a bug fix or a feature addition?

On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 08:25 -0400, Youssef Mahmoud wrote:
> I have personally watched him use the Evolution interface to generate
> the invitations in question.

        Hi,
that's odd, but okay, the issue had been identified.

> > It doesn't matter that much, it was
> > only the most confusing part about your query.
>
> What other parts are confusing?

Right, the other thing was the message structure. It had been clarified
too.

> ...though it will be some time before most of the user base is at
> 3.24+.

It depends on your distribution.

> I'm not clear on what the life-cycle of an Evolution release is.

There is an upstream, the place where the main development happens, and
the distributions providing their users with versions they choose.
Upstream currently handles only the current stable version and the
development version. In some rare cases, like when really bad things
are recognized in the previous stable version, a new release is done,
but that's really rare.

> And is your commit referenced above considered a bug fix or a feature
> addition?

Bug fix, from my point of view. You can ask your distribution
maintainer(s) to backport it, but knowing that there is a limited man
power on all sides it'll be harder.

You indicated that you use Fedora, the Fedora 26 contains 3.24.x of
Evolution (and GNOME). It reached its beta a week and a day ago. The
final release is planned for July, which is not that far, thus I guess
it's okay to wait.