Cannot retrieve mail from POP server

Jonathan Ryshpan
Frequently after not using Evolution for a while attempts to retrieve email from my POP server fail.  Presumably there are too many messages for the interface to deal with. There is a long delay while Evolution is concluding that it truly cannot reach the server, then the message:
Error while Fetching mail from “jonrysh@...”.
Cannot get POP summary: Broken pipe

It is possible to retrieve the mail using an IMAP interface to the same server, after which it's possible to retrieve email using POP . What's going on?

System info:
4-processor Real Intel Hardware
Fedora-26
Evolution 3.24.5-1.fc26
POP Server: inbound.att.net
IMAP Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Re: Cannot retrieve mail from POP server

Pete Biggs
On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 17:01 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Frequently after not using Evolution for a while attempts to retrieve
> email from my POP server fail.  Presumably there are too many
> messages for the interface to deal with.  There is a long delay while
> Evolution is concluding that it truly cannot reach the server, then
> the message:
> Error while Fetching mail from “[hidden email]”.
> Cannot get POP summary: Broken pipe

It's been talked about before on this list - searching the archives
comes up with a long thread starting here(ish):

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-February/msg00053.html

Amongst many other such threads.

I think there was something strange in how Yahoo! (and consequently
people like AT&T) setup their POP server. A solution seems to be to
"Disable support for all POP3 extensions" in the receiving options for
that account in Evolution.

If that doesn't work for you, then you need to run Evolution from the
command line to see what's timing out and if that doesn't give you much
info, then run it with POP3 debugging turned on and that should tell
you at which stage it's having problems.

Re: Cannot retrieve mail from POP server

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Sat, 2017-10-07 at 11:37 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> A solution seems to be to "Disable support for all POP3 extensions" in
> the receiving options for that account in Evolution.

No, it does solve this issue by causing at least one other issue
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-March/msg00089.html

FWIW from that time until now my Yahoo and Rocketmail accounts a working
without issues, IOW there are no issues at the moment caused by Yahoo,
at least not for

$ pacman -Q evolution claws-mail-git
evolution 3.26.1-1
claws-mail-git 3.15.0.r132.g62686c8f6-1