Close window on reply

Youssef Mahmoud-2
Hello,

The first time you reply to a message that you have open in a separate
window (not in the preview pane), Evolution asks if you want to close
the window when replying or not. I chose to have Evolution close the
window, but have had a change of heart and would now rather have the
window stay open when I reply. However, I can't seem to find where to
change this preference. Can someone point the way for me?

Thanks!

Youssef

Re: Close window on reply

Pete Biggs

> The first time you reply to a message that you have open in a separate
> window (not in the preview pane), Evolution asks if you want to close
> the window when replying or not. I chose to have Evolution close the
> window, but have had a change of heart and would now rather have the
> window stay open when I reply. However, I can't seem to find where to
> change this preference. Can someone point the way for me?

You don't say what version of Evolution you are using - which is
important in this sort of case because the dconf keys change.  But
presuming you are using a reasonably modern version then doing

 dconf reset /org/gnome/evolution/mail/prompt-on-reply-close-browser

will reset the relevant key to the default value (i.e. it will ask each
time).  As usual be careful when using dconf, it has the ability to
trash your system - so type the command carefully. If in doubt use
something like dconf-editor and browse to the correct place.

Re: Close window on reply

Youssef Mahmoud-2

On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 13:11 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> You don't say what version of Evolution you are using - which is
> important in this sort of case because the dconf keys change.  But
> presuming you are using a reasonably modern version then doing
>
>  dconf reset /org/gnome/evolution/mail/prompt-on-reply-close-browser

Thanks Pete. This worked. I noticed in dconf-editor this key was
labeled as deprecated. Is that why it's not configurable within the
Preferences GUI?

Re: Close window on reply

Pete Biggs
On Mon, 2017-07-10 at 11:59 -0400, Youssef Mahmoud wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 13:11 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > You don't say what version of Evolution you are using - which is
> > important in this sort of case because the dconf keys change.  But
> > presuming you are using a reasonably modern version then doing
> >
> >  dconf reset /org/gnome/evolution/mail/prompt-on-reply-close-browser
> >

> Thanks Pete. This worked. I noticed in dconf-editor this key was
> labeled as deprecated. Is that why it's not configurable within the
> Preferences GUI?

I don't think so. Hardly any of the pop-up window questions are in the
GUI - I think they were all removed because they were little used and
were just cluttering up the interface.

I'm afraid I'm not a dev so I don't know why that option is deprecated
or what, if any, the replacement will be.

Re: Close window on reply

On Mon, 2017-07-10 at 11:59 -0400, Youssef Mahmoud wrote:
> I noticed in dconf-editor this key was labeled as deprecated.

        Hi,
you are right, it is replaced with browser-close-on-reply-policy, which
uses enum, instead of free form string. The code still synchronizes the
two values, thus it worked for you when you changed it.

As a side note, calling directly dconf is perfectly fine, because
most/all of the distributions use it as the configuration storage.
There is also provided 'gsettings' binary, which has similar arguments
and which uses 'currently preferred configuration storage', thus the
same which the application run in the same environment does.

> Is that why it's not configurable within the Preferences GUI?

As Pete said, there are many hidden options in the GSettings, with
which one can fine tune behavior. There had been some effort to
simplify the preferences in the GUI. It sometimes looks oversimplified,
but there had been tried to have some balance over what add and what
not in the GUI. Simply, over-simplified and over-complicated settings
are equally wrong, from my point of view. The downside is to use
low-level tools to change the options, which is not user friendly and
it's even less intuitive.