Composer Word Wrap, Revisited

Dustin D. Trammell-2
Now, before you all groan "oh no, not this topic again", let me explain
that yes, I know that you cannot change the upper column bound value at
which the Evolution composer wraps lines.  I've also gathered from the
list archives that it should be wrapping at column 72, and that value is
hard-coded.

My problem however, is that lines are wrapping at column 55, as I'm sure
you can see is demonstrated by this message.  All previous installations
of Evolution I've used in the past (packaged bins as well as built from
source) have wrapped at column 72, which is perfectly reasonable. 55 is
way too soon.  I'm currently using Evolution 2.2.3, as is packaged by
Dropline Gnome 2.10.2.  Is this likely an issue with Evolution itself
(or a recent change that I can't find reference for), or with some other
component in Gnome that may be causing Evolution to behave this way?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide,

--
Dustin D. Trammell
Vulnerability Researcher

Re: Composer Word Wrap, Revisited

E. Joshua Rigler
Well, as one might notice in the quoted text below, the message *I*
received from Dustin wrapped at column 72.  Something I've noticed in my
version 1.4.5 (I know that's old, but I use RH-EL v3 at work) is that
the compose window simply starts out too narrow and forces words to wrap
early in order to stay visible.  Once I send the message, however, the
lines are re-formatted to wrap at column 72.  I can also drag the
compose window wider, and the lines are continually reformatted to fit
within the window until a maximum column width of 72 is reached, at
which point lines wrap as expected.  All of my email is written in
plain-text, so I can't say anything about HTML email composition.

That said, it would be nice if the compose window width could be set or
remembered from session to session so I don't have to drag my window
wider for true WYSIWYG email composition.

-EJR

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 09:33 -0700, Des Dougan wrote:
> It's not wrapping at 55 here. Do you have a proportional font assigned?

That was the problem.  Evolution was set to use 8 pt Sans as the
standard font and 8pt Monospace as the terminal font rather than the
Gnome application font which is 10pt Arial.  I do however have
everything in Evolution set to plain-text only (no HTML at all), so why
exactly would that font difference cause the column wrap to change
regardless of the size of the composer window?

Thanks for the assistance,

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 11:24 -0600, E. Joshua Rigler wrote:

> Well, as one might notice in the quoted text below, the message *I*
> received from Dustin wrapped at column 72.  Something I've noticed in my
> version 1.4.5 (I know that's old, but I use RH-EL v3 at work) is that
> the compose window simply starts out too narrow and forces words to wrap
> early in order to stay visible.  Once I send the message, however, the
> lines are re-formatted to wrap at column 72.  I can also drag the
> compose window wider, and the lines are continually reformatted to fit
> within the window until a maximum column width of 72 is reached, at
> which point lines wrap as expected.  All of my email is written in
> plain-text, so I can't say anything about HTML email composition.
Well, I'm glad to see that my messages are actually coming through in a
sane format.  I have also noticed the behavior you mention, and resizing
the composer window was the very first thing I tried.  Regardless of the
size of the composer window, text in the composer wrapped at column 55
(at least new text typed in did, any quoted message wrapped at 72 just
fine).  Luckily we determined it was due to the font being used and not
some issue with the application.