Composer spell check - no languages?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Composer spell check - no languages?

Matt Connell
Looking for some guidance making use of the spell check feature.

I am unable to utilize spell-checking in the Evolution composer because
there are no dictionaries/languages listed in the preference pane for
the spell checker.  The pane states "The list of languages here
reflects only the languages for which you have a dictionary installed"

I have an English dictionary installed (app-dicts/aspell-en) on the
system, but it is not showing in the preferences pane.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

Meta (in case it is useful)
----
Evolution version: 3.36.4
aspell-en version: 2018.04.16.0
Syetem: Gentoo
Locale: en_US.utf8

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

signature.asc (875 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:00 +0200, Matt Connell wrote:
> I have an English dictionary installed (app-dicts/aspell-en) on the
> system, but it is not showing in the preferences pane.

Hi,

Evolution does use 'gspell'

'gspell' does use 'enchant'

'enchant' does use 'aspell', 'hunspell', 'libvoikko', 'hspell' and
'nuspell'

> How can I resolve this?

Dunno. Maybe 'enchant' was build without 'aspell' support?
Try something else, e.g. 'hunspell'.

What does 'Edit > Preferences > Composer Preferences > Spell checking'
report?

Or when composing a mail, what does 'Edit > Current Languages' show?

'aspell-en' depends on 'aspell'. A broken dependency? Maybe you are
missing 'aspell' or something else from the dependency chain?

> Meta (in case it is useful)

"Meta" what?

Regards,
Ralf

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:35 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> What does 'Edit > Preferences > Composer Preferences > Spell checking'
> report?

You wrote:

"I am unable to utilize spell-checking in the Evolution composer because
there are no dictionaries/languages listed in the preference pane for
the spell checker.  The pane states "The list of languages here
reflects only the languages for which you have a dictionary installed"

I have an English dictionary installed (app-dicts/aspell-en) on the
system, but it is not showing in the preferences pane."

No other information?

If so, then again, check the dependency chain.

Are 'gspell' and 'enchant' installed?

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Matt Connell
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:35 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Maybe 'enchant' was build without 'aspell' support?
This was the hot ticket here.  I simply enabled the aspell USE flag on
enchant, rebuilt it, relaunched Evolution, and I'm in business.

I figured it was something simple like this that I was missing, so
thank you for pointing it out.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Matt Connell
On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:00 +0200, Matt Connell wrote:
> Locale: en_US.utf8

JFTR

"Hunspell is based on MySpell and is backward-compatible with MySpell
dictionaries. While MySpell uses a single-byte character encoding,
Hunspell can use Unicode UTF-8-encoded dictionaries."

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunspell

"Unlike Ispell, Aspell can easily check UTF-8 documents without having
to use a special dictionary."

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Aspell

IOW it shouldn't be related to the UTF8 local.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Matt Connell
On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:49 +0200, Matt Connell wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:35 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Maybe 'enchant' was build without 'aspell' support?
> This was the hot ticket here.  I simply enabled the aspell USE flag on
> enchant, rebuilt it, relaunched Evolution, and I'm in business.
>
> I figured it was something simple like this that I was missing, so
> thank you for pointing it out.

You are welcome!

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:55 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
wrote:
> JFTR

What does this mean?

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Pete Biggs
On Fri, 2020-07-31 at 10:40 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:55 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > JFTR
>
> What does this mean?
>

Just For The Record

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2020-07-31 at 11:07 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-07-31 at 10:40 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:55 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
> > wrote:
> > > JFTR
> >
> > What does this mean?
> >
>
> Just For The Record

If you say so. Can't recall ever seeing it.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Composer spell check - no languages?

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Fri, 2020-07-31 at 14:54 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-07-31 at 13:20 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2020-07-31 at 11:07 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2020-07-31 at 10:40 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > > On Wed, 2020-07-29 at 22:55 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list wrote:
> > > > > JFTR
> > > >
> > > > What does this mean?
> > > >
> > >
> > > Just For The Record
> >
> > If you say so. Can't recall ever seeing it.
>
> "JFTR: Just for the record" -
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:English_internet_slang
>
> "just for the record <JFTR> nur fürs Protokoll"
> - https://www.dict.cc/?s=just+for+the+record
>
> Since English isn't my native language ;), I learned it, by reading it
> countless times on several mailing lists.

I don't doubt it, but at the same time not all of those terms are
equally well-known.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list