Composer very slow

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi
I recently did a clean install of Ubuntu mate 16.04.6 LTS  and Evolution 3.18.5.2 . When typing an email there is a significant lag to the characters showing on screen. Any advice on what to do?

Regards
Graham

Re: Composer very slow

Zan Lynx
On 6/26/19 1:39 PM, Graham Sawyer via evolution-list wrote:
> Hi
> I recently did a clean install of Ubuntu mate 16.04.6 LTS  and Evolution
> 3.18.5.2 . When typing an email there is a significant lag to the
> characters showing on screen. Any advice on what to do?

Try Fedora 30 with Gnome 3 and Wayland. At least I don't have any
problems with it. Tested on Power-9 with a Radeon GPU, Ryzen 1700X with
a Vega GPU and an Intel i7 laptop with Intel GPU. All Fedora 30. All
have a high performing Evolution.

I mostly use Thunderbird, but I try out Evolution now and then.

Ubuntu always seemed OK'ish to me but sometimes their software build
choices are weird. I don't know that I trust them to get it right.

--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 20:39 +0100, Graham Sawyer wrote:
> I recently did a clean install of Ubuntu mate 16.04.6 LTS  and
> Evolution 3.18.5.2 . When typing an email there is a significant lag
> to the characters showing on screen. Any advice on what to do?

Asking in an Ubuntu forum that can travel back three years in time? :)

Hard to say without any hardware information, and hard to remember
anything (e.g. underlying Webkit version etc) as that's more than three
year old software.

Re: Composer very slow

On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 13:57 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> Try Fedora

Hi,

assuming the original poster has got a reason to chose Ubuntu other than
installing it just for using a particular mail client, it's not a
solution to migrate to another Linux distribution.

Ubuntu has got its pros and cons. I'm using the 16.04 LTS, as well as
Arch Linux. Since the software versions provided by 16.04 are old, they
don't suffer from a few annoying issues, that affect all other distros
using more current software versions, this is a warning, but way too
off-topic to go into details.

The major issue with Ubuntu flavours and Evolution in general is, that
Evolution is provided by the universe repository. Other then the main
repository, the universe repository is not maintained by Canonical, see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu.

Current Ubuntu releases migrated back to GNOME, but they didn't make
Evolution, the GNOME mail client, the default for Ubuntu installs.

I don't know how well or bad Evolution works for 16.04, due to bad
experiences with running Evolution on Ubuntu in the past, I only run
Evolution on Arch Linux.

IMO the OP should send a request to
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users and ask, if there
are known issues related to Ubuntu 16.04 and Evolution and if so, if
there are workarounds available, such as Evolution provided as a snap.
If there should be a snap available, it's important to ask, if there are
known issues, due to the sandbox approach.

After clarifying "things" on the Ubuntu users mailing list, it might be
worth to send a request to
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-devel-discuss . This is
not the developer's mailing list, it's a discussion mailing list, the
"Point of contact for Ubuntu users to reach Ubuntu developers".

Regards,
Ralf