Composing editor selection

Brewster Gillett
Ubuntu 16.04 with Evo 3.18.5.2

Evo has apparently changed what's being used as the internal editor for composing -  and
not for the better. I want to change to gedit or almost anything else than what's on offer.
But when I consult the "HELP" files, it directs me to <EDIT> <PLUGINS> <EXTERNAL EDITOR>,
and when I click that sequence, there is no  "external editor" choice presented.

So what's the "new" method for pointing Evo to an external editor, which the "HELP" maintainers
have apparently let get by them? The only web reference I uncovered was the same instruction
as in the current "HELP" file......?

Thanks,

Brewster Gillett

"God does not play dice with the universe; he plays an ineffable
 game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the
 perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in
 an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room,
 with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't
 tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

               Terry Pratchett, from _Good Omens_

Re: Composing editor selection

Andre Klapper
On Tue, 2017-05-16 at 11:17 -0700, bg wrote:
> Ubuntu 16.04 with Evo 3.18.5.2
>
> Evo has apparently changed what's being used as the internal editor for composing -  and
> not for the better. I want to change to gedit or almost anything else than what's on offer.
> But when I consult the "HELP" files, it directs me to <EDIT> <PLUGINS> <EXTERNAL EDITOR>,
> and when I click that sequence, there is no  "external editor" choice presented.

Works for me on Fedora. If Ubuntu strips the External Editor plugin
when packaging Evolution you need to contact Ubuntu. Help is correct.

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Composing editor selection

Dr. John H. Lauterbach
I am using 3.20.5 that came directly from Gnome 3 Staging PPA.  No external editor plug in.  OS is Ubuntu 16.04, but that was there before 3.20.5.

John

Re: Composing editor selection

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-05-16 at 16:06 -0400, Dr. John H. Lauterbach wrote:
> I am using 3.20.5 that came directly from Gnome 3 Staging PPA.  No
> external editor plug in.  OS is Ubuntu 16.04, but that was there
> before 3.20.5.

        Hi,
that's weird, but maybe as Andre said, packaging can disable it, or
even not build it at all. It depends. Though if you have
File->New->Mail Message and in there File->Compose in External Editor,
then the plugin is surely there. The same as it should be in:
   /usr/lib64/evolution/plugins/liborg-gnome-external-editor.so
   /usr/lib64/evolution/plugins/org-gnome-external-editor.eplug
(The actual path can differ on your system, but the files should be the
same.)

Brewster, the plugin stores its settings in GSettings, thus you can for
example:
   $ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.plugin.external-editor command
to see what is stored there, and you can also:
   $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.plugin.external-editor \
       command "gvim -f"
to change the value to gvim, like in UI.

It would still be interesting to know why you do not see the plugin in
Edit->Plugins though (supposing the plugin is built and its files
available). The org-gnome-external-editor.eplug can have set it as a
"system" plugin, which are hidden in UI configuration, but that's not
the case for the upstream version.

Re: Composing editor selection

Reid Thompson
On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 09:17 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
>    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.plugin.external-editor \
>        command "gvim -f"

you can set the filetype to email also if you wish...

gvim -c "set ft=mail"  -f