Configuring regular white HTML template when Global Dark Mode enabled?

Configuring regular white HTML template when Global Dark Mode enabled?

Nico Rikken
I like to use the Gnome Tweak Dark Mode, but this also changes the font
and background colors on the HTML mails I send out. I like to override
that, as the black-on-white color scheme is more commonly used.

How can I override the default HTML mail theme?

Below is a snippet from the HTML code, which shows the style applied to
the message body, running Evolution in dark mode on Debian Testing.

  [[ head content ]]
vlink="#eeeeec" style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" data-evo-draft=""><div data-
evo-paragraph="" class="">
  [[ actual html text ]]

I hope someone can help me out.

Nico

Re: Configuring regular white HTML template when Global Dark Mode enabled?

Andre Klapper
On Fri, 2017-05-05 at 19:49 +0200, Nico Rikken wrote:
> I like to use the Gnome Tweak Dark Mode, but this also changes the font
and background colors on the HTML mails I send out. I like to override
that, as the black-on-white color scheme is more commonly used.

Which Evolution version is this about?

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Configuring regular white HTML template when Global Dark Mode enabled?

On Fri, 2017-05-05 at 19:49 +0200, Nico Rikken wrote:
> I like to use the Gnome Tweak Dark Mode, but this also changes the font
and background colors on the HTML mails I send out. I like to override
that, as the black-on-white color scheme is more commonly used.

How can I override the default HTML mail theme?

Below is a snippet from the HTML code, which shows the style applied to
the message body, running Evolution in dark mode on Debian Testing.

  [[ head content ]]
vlink="#eeeeec" style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space;
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" data-evo-draft=""><div data-
evo-paragraph="" class="">
  [[ actual html text ]]

I hope someone can help me out.

You don't say what version of Evolution this is (Help->About).

On Fri, 2017-05-05 at 20:08 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> Which Evolution version is this about?

This concerns Evolution version 3.22.6 on Debian Testing.

Re: Configuring regular white HTML template when Global Dark Mode enabled?

On Fri, 2017-05-05 at 19:49 +0200, Nico Rikken wrote:
> How can I override the default HTML mail theme?

        Hi,
try Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->General tab->Inherit theme
colors in HTML format. You might have that turned on. I'm not sure
whether it'll "correct" already saved draft messages, I guess it won't.

Re: Configuring regular white HTML template when Global Dark Mode enabled? [solved]

Nico Rikken
Hi Milan,

On Tue, 2017-05-09 at 11:56 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> try Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->General tab->Inherit theme
> colors in HTML format. You might have that turned on. I'm not sure
> whether it'll "correct" already saved draft messages, I guess it won't.

I did some more testing. The theme inheritance did not matter. What did
matter, was the fact that this theming issue arose when dealing with
saved mbox files.
When saving a message as draft, or to disk, the dark theme is included
in the save. And so when opening again and finally sending, the theme
is included, and not removed.

For my use-case I would like Evolution not to include the dark-theme
when saving to disk (or remote storage). I assume part of the solution
is in place, as the theme is not included when sending. Do you think it
would make sense to file a bugreport on this as a feature request?

Thanks for helping out,
Nico

Re: Configuring regular white HTML template when Global Dark Mode enabled? [solved]

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-05-10 at 08:26 +0200, Nico Rikken wrote:
> When saving a message as draft, or to disk, the dark theme is
> included in the save.

        Hi,
you are right, Draft messages contain the colors on <body/>.

> And so when opening again and finally sending, the theme is included,
> and not removed.

I cannot reproduce this. The colors are removed on send when I have
unchecked "Inherit theme colors in HTML format" and the colors are
preserved, when the inheritance is enabled (I double-clicked saved HTML
message in On This Computer/Drafts and pressed Send).

This is with current git master, before 3.25.2 release, which might be
pretty much the same as the current 3.24.2 in this regard.