Contacts are not saved but in fact they are

Contacts are not saved but in fact they are

Paulo Cesar G. Costa
Every time I try to modify a contact in Evolution Contacts I get the
following error message:

> Cannot modify contacts: Failed to put data: HTTP error code 201
> (Created): Created

Then, I try to close the contact and get a warning that I will lose the
modifications. I try to save again and the same pattern repeats.
Eventually, I simply quit and lose the edits.

Now, what really puzzles me is that when I return to the contact
immediately I see that the changes are indeed lost, but after a while
the changes pop up in the contact.
That is, Evolution is probably saving but not getting an acknowledgement
and then get synchronized with the address book server and display the
changes. I did try to find clues of what is happening but nothing I get
seems related.
Opening Evolution in terminal does not show any error message.

Note that I have address books with iCloud, gmail, and Exchange. All
have the same behavior. This has been consistent since Evolution 3.32 so
I do not think it is related to new updates.

Configuration:
Evolution 3.36.2
Kernel 5.6.10-3-MANJARO

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paulo

Re: Contacts are not saved but in fact they are

Paulo Cesar G. Costa
Correction: This happens only with iCloud contacts.
Exchange and gmail work normally.

Thanks,
Paulo

Re: Contacts are not saved but in fact they are

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2020-05-11 at 12:29 -0400, Paulo Cesar G. Costa wrote:
> Correction: This happens only with iCloud contacts.
>

> Cannot modify contacts: Failed to put data: HTTP error code 201
> (Created): Created

        Hi,
I see, it's a CardDAV error message. The iCloud returned 'Created' even
for modifications, which feels weird. Could you run from a terminal:

   $ CARDDAV_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory -w

(the actual path can differ in your system), then run evolution and
repeat the error message, please? I'd like to see the content of the
"201 Created" response from the server, because the 201 is success, but
they might add some information into the response, which the related
code deciphered as an error claim (some errors can be received with
HTTP success state).

Also, if you do not mind, could you open a ticket at [1], thus any
particular fix could have a reference in the bug tracker, please?

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/new

Re: Contacts are not saved but in fact they are

Paulo Cesar G. Costa
Milan,

>  Could you run from a terminal:
>
>    $ CARDDAV_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory -w
>
> (the actual path can differ in your system), then run evolution and
> repeat the error message, please?

Yes, in Manjaro it is under /usr/lib/
Here is what I've got:

< HTTP/1.1 201 Created
< Soup-Debug-Timestamp: 1589217008
< Soup-Debug: SoupMessage 6 (0x7f99200093a0)
< Server: AppleHttpServer/ac9d40131a4d
< Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 17:10:08 GMT
< access-control-expose-headers: X-Apple-Request-UUID,Via
<

Created

Let me know if you see anything that I can do on my end to fix this
issue.

> Also, if you do not mind, could you open a ticket at [1], thus any
> particular fix could have a reference in the bug tracker, please?

Done. It is issue #212.

Thanks,
Paulo