Contacts not showing up

I'm running Ev 3.30.5-1.1 on MX Linux (Debian Buster). I just found that most of my contacts are not showing in the program. They show as empty lines in List View, and the vertical scroll thumb is small, indicating the blank lines are being counted in the 270 contacts this address book says it has (only about 30 addresses actually show). And addresses from this list that don't show also do not auto-populate when addressing new mail.

This is a local address book I created with Ev and imported gmail contacts to. Everything showed fine yesterday, when I deleted maybe 30 unwanted addresses from it.

Closing/reopening Ev did not help.

I would delete this address book and start over with a new one, but I don't even see how to do that.

Paul

Re: Contacts not showing up

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Mon, 2021-01-04 at 19:52 -0500, Paul B. via evolution-list wrote:
> I'm running Ev 3.30.5-1.1 on MX Linux (Debian Buster).

        Hi,
first of all, you are probably aware of it, the 3.30.5 is very old. The
current stable version is 3.38.2.

> I just found that most of my contacts are not showing in the program.

I do not recall whether there had been any such thing reported and/or
addressed between your and the current version. Neither I've an idea
what precisely could break here. You can try to run the address book
factory from a terminal, which may or may not show any hints. Try this:
a) open a terminal
b) run: evolution --force-shutdown
c) run: /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory -w
   the actual path can differ in your distribution
d) open another terminal and run: evolution

Check output on both terminals.

> They show as empty lines in List View

The empty lines are suspicious. I doubt you've any filters enabled.
Maybe you can also try to switch the view to the Mini Card view,
instead of the List View, which can be done in the View->Current View
menu.

> I would delete this address book and start over with a new one, but I
> don't even see how to do that.

I suppose we speak about On This Computer/Personal address book. That
cannot be deleted. You can remove its data from:
~/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/
after step b) above (when the addressbook factory process is down) to
start from scratch. After touching this private data make sure you
restart the factory, by the same step b) from above.