Daylight savings time

Roy Reese
OK, I assume I must have a setting off, but now that we are on DST, Evo
has added an hour to all may appointments rather than showing the hour
as it appears in the system. How do I fix that?

Thanks, Roy

Re: Daylight savings time

Roy Reese
Oops, my bad: running Evo 3.32.0

El mar, 02-04-2019 a las 18:01 +0200, aguador escribió:

> OK, I assume I must have a setting off, but now that we are on DST,
> Evo
> has added an hour to all may appointments rather than showing the
> hour
> as it appears in the system. How do I fix that?
>
> Thanks, Roy

Re: Daylight savings time

On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 18:01 +0200, aguador wrote:
> OK, I assume I must have a setting off, but now that we are on DST,

Who is "we"?

> Evo has added an hour to all may appointments rather than showing the hour
> as it appears in the system.

In which exact type of calendar? What is "Edit > Preferences > Calendar
and Tasks > General > Time > Time Zone" set to?

Re: Daylight savings time

Roy Reese
El mar, 02-04-2019 a las 18:53 +0200, Andre Klapper escribió:

> On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 18:01 +0200, aguador wrote:
> > OK, I assume I must have a setting off, but now that we are on DST,
>
> Who is "we"?
>
> > Evo has added an hour to all may appointments rather than showing
> > the hour
> > as it appears in the system.
>
> In which exact type of calendar? What is "Edit > Preferences >
> Calendar
> and Tasks > General > Time > Time Zone" set to?
>
> andre
> --

It is set to the system's time: Europe/Madrid

However, I just noticed that not all times seem to have changed. My
08.30 and 20.00 appoints tomorrow and 08.00 Thursday changed by one
hour, while my 11.00, 12.00 and 13.00 on Thursday show correctly. There
is similar confusion on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday . . . . All these
appointments are part of repeating series that were correct last week,
and all show the correct time zone.

Given the seemingly random changes, perhaps this is not an Evo issue. I
just checked updates in the last couple of days (Mageia Cauldron) and
saw nothing that I would imagine causing this (mostly a lot of qt5
rebuilds) . . . . Weird.

Re: Daylight savings time

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 19:59 +0200, aguador wrote:
> El mar, 02-04-2019 a las 18:53 +0200, Andre Klapper escribió:
> > In which exact type of calendar?

repeating Andre's above question: what is the calendar type, please?

Some calendars (like those connecting to Exchange) convert timezone
information forth and back as needed. Evolution relies on libical here,
which can use tzdata for the timezone information (version of both
would be nice to know). Could you right-click one of the affected
events and choose "Save as iCalendar", then pick one correct event and
save it too, then check what DTSTART information is there, that after
BEGIN:VEVENT line, please? It shows what timezone is used and the start
time - it might not be anything private/sensitive, I hope.

I vaguely recall some issue with timezone being read as UTC, which
could move the times in a "wrong direction", but 3.32.0 should be fine,
it's the latest stable release. You also said the timezone information
on the events are correct, thus it kind of voids it too.

Re: Daylight savings time

Roy Reese

El mar, 02-04-2019 a las 21:09 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list
escribió:

> On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 19:59 +0200, aguador wrote:
> > El mar, 02-04-2019 a las 18:53 +0200, Andre Klapper escribió:
> > > In which exact type of calendar?

> repeating Andre's above question: what is the calendar type, please?
>
> Some calendars (like those connecting to Exchange) convert timezone
> information forth and back as needed. Evolution relies on libical
> here,
> which can use tzdata for the timezone information (version of both
> would be nice to know). Could you right-click one of the affected
> events and choose "Save as iCalendar", then pick one correct event
> and
> save it too, then check what DTSTART information is there, that after
> BEGIN:VEVENT line, please? It shows what timezone is used and the
> start
> time - it might not be anything private/sensitive, I hope.
>
> I vaguely recall some issue with timezone being read as UTC, which
> could move the times in a "wrong direction", but 3.32.0 should be
> fine,
> it's the latest stable release. You also said the timezone
> information
> on the events are correct, thus it kind of voids it too.

Thanks, Milan.

In general these appointments are created and maintained by Evo on a
single machine. However, after having looked at the appointments
attached, I seem to recall having created some items on an Android
phone and exported them in ical format. This might explain the
shorter/simpler data in the erroneous file and the source of both the
color error shown and the time error.

I have attached 2 appointments from this week: Daniel is correct (and
of later and I assume Evo creation); Luis_Ignacio has an hour added.
The first shows changes back and forth between standard and daylight
savings times, but results in displaying the correct time.

The second, which is wrong, shows a start time for 9.00, while the one
from the week before shows the correct start time of 8.00.

So the Android app is likely the root of this evil?

Best,
Roy

Daniel.ics (6K) Download Attachment
Luis_Ignacio.ics (759 bytes) Download Attachment
Luis_Ignacio_20190326.ics (759 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Daylight savings time

Rob Dueckman
escribió:

> On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 19:59 +0200, aguador wrote:
> > El mar, 02-04-2019 a las 18:53 +0200, Andre Klapper escribió:
> > > In which exact type of calendar?

> repeating Andre's above question: what is the calendar type, please?
>
> Some calendars (like those connecting to Exchange) convert timezone
> information forth and back as needed. Evolution relies on libical
> here,

Re: Daylight savings time

Rob Dueckman
escribió:

> On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 19:59 +0200, aguador wrote:
> > El mar, 02-04-2019 a las 18:53 +0200, Andre Klapper escribió:
> > > In which exact type of calendar?

> repeating Andre's above question: what is the calendar type, please?
>
> Some calendars (like those connecting to Exchange) convert timezone
> information forth and back as needed. Evolution relies on libical
> here,

Re: Daylight savings time

On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 22:12 +0200, aguador wrote:
> > repeating Andre's above question: what is the calendar type,
> > please?

        Hi,
I'm sorry, but let's try for the third time: what is the calendar type,
please? It can be On This Computer, CalDAV, Exchange Web Services, ...

> Daniel is correct (and of later and I assume Evo creation);

It has set:
DTSTART;TZID=/freeassociation.sourceforge.net/Europe/Madrid:
 20190406T090000
DTEND;TZID=/freeassociation.sourceforge.net/Europe/Madrid:
 20190406T100000
thus the timezone is specified there.

> Luis_Ignacio has an hour added.

It has set:
DTSTART:20190402T090000
DTEND:20190402T100000
without any timezone information. These are so called floating times,
which are shown at the same time in whatever timezone the user uses.
Evolution doesn't support floating times for editing yet [1]. Evolution
supports them when showing, only the editor shows a wrong timezone in
those cases, which I believe is the reason why you thought the timezone
is set properly - because Evolution's editor lied to you. A workaround
is to edit the series in Evolution, add a letter into the Summary, then
delete it (which lets you save the series) and save it and propagate
the change into the all instances. It'll add the correct timezone
information into the event.

> The second, which is wrong, shows a start time for 9.00, while the
> one from the week before shows the correct start time of 8.00.

Right, the above DTSTART/DTEND is from the later .ics, showing the 9:00
start, while the former has:
DTSTART:20190326T080000
DTEND:20190326T090000

> So the Android app is likely the root of this evil?

Well, saving times with a floating time can be useful in some cases,
but when one needs to setup a meeting with people in different
timezones then the floating time is useless, thus yes, it's safer to
specify the time zone. I do not know whom to blame.

There is one interesting thing about the broken event. Usually
generated recurrence doesn't change the floating time part, as far as I
know, by the timezone offset (as I tested it here), thus I'm not sure
what made the two events split, even they look exactly the
same otherwise. Maybe they are detached instances and the server, or
some other client, created them. I do not know, I'm only guessing here.

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/385

Re: Daylight savings time

On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 22:12 +0200, aguador wrote:
> the source of both the color error shown

        Hi,
I'm not sure what the above is about, this is the first time you
mention it here, but from the look into your .ics files it might be
this thing probably:

   | X-LIC-ERROR;X-LIC-ERRORTYPE=PROPERTY-PARSE-ERROR:Parse error in
   |  property name: CATEGORY_COLOR

The iCalendar standard [1] doesn't mention any property called
CATEGORY_COLOR, the closest is the COLOR property defined here [2].
Whichever software created the property should name it
X-CATEGORY-COLOR, because it's a custom, nonstandard property.

Evolution itself supports the COLOR property since 3.32.0, as long as
it is compiled against new-enough libical (they added the support for
it more or less recently too). It's up to the calendar type (On This
Computer, CalDAV, On The Web, ...) to decide whether it can use this
property.

In any case, this is an off topic for the Daylight saving time issue
discussed in this thread.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7986#section-5.9

Re: Daylight savings time

Roy Reese

El mié, 03-04-2019 a las 09:55 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list
escribió:

> On Tue, 2019-04-02 at 22:12 +0200, aguador wrote:
> > > repeating Andre's above question: what is the calendar type,
> > > please?
>

> > Daniel is correct (and of later and I assume Evo creation);
>
> It has set:
> DTSTART;TZID=/freeassociation.sourceforge.net/Europe/Madrid:
>  20190406T090000
> DTEND;TZID=/freeassociation.sourceforge.net/Europe/Madrid:
>  20190406T100000
> thus the timezone is specified there.
>
> > Luis_Ignacio has an hour added.
>
> It has set:
> DTSTART:20190402T090000
> DTEND:20190402T100000
> without any timezone information. These are so called floating times,
> which are shown at the same time in whatever timezone the user uses.
> Evolution doesn't support floating times for editing yet [1].
> Evolution
> supports them when showing, only the editor shows a wrong timezone in
> those cases, which I believe is the reason why you thought the
> timezone
> is set properly - because Evolution's editor lied to you. A
> workaround
> is to edit the series in Evolution, add a letter into the Summary,
> then
> delete it (which lets you save the series) and save it and propagate
> the change into the all instances. It'll add the correct timezone
> information into the event.
>
> > The second, which is wrong, shows a start time for 9.00, while the
> > one from the week before shows the correct start time of 8.00.
>
> Right, the above DTSTART/DTEND is from the later .ics, showing the
> 9:00
> start, while the former has:
> DTSTART:20190326T080000
> DTEND:20190326T090000
>
> > So the Android app is likely the root of this evil?
>
> Well, saving times with a floating time can be useful in some cases,
> but when one needs to setup a meeting with people in different
> timezones then the floating time is useless, thus yes, it's safer to
> specify the time zone. I do not know whom to blame.
>
> There is one interesting thing about the broken event. Usually
> generated recurrence doesn't change the floating time part, as far as
> know, by the timezone offset (as I tested it here), thus I'm not sure
> what made the two events split, even they look exactly the
> same otherwise. Maybe they are detached instances and the server, or
> some other client, created them. I do not know, I'm only guessing
> here.
>
> [1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/385

Milan, Thank you so much for the detailed explanations. I understand
what is going on now and will fix it. As you probably saw from the
appointments themselves, the calendar is "on this computer". However,
that, in a way, is perhaps deceptive as the "erroneous" ones were not
created by Evo so did not have the TZ information. Best, Roy