Debugging automatic filter application

Aditya Prasad
I can't figure out why filters are not being applied automatically when downloading from my (POP) server. Does anyone have debugging tips?

* I've made sure I checked "Apply filters to new messages in all folders" (I also tried "Apply filters to new messages in Inbox on this server").

* I don't think I have any other clients fetching mail. I'm not sure how to check whether my incoming mail is marked "new" (as opposed to just "unread"), but even if I found out, it may be hard to find the rogue client.

* I tried the mail filters-log-actions and found I only get output when manually applying filters.

I switched to Evolution from Thunderbird because the latter's "threaded view" plugin is buggy. Honest question: can anyone recommend a mail client where both these things work nicely? (Fingers crossed that I'm just missing something simple in Evolution...).

I'm running 3.18.5.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.1.

Thanks!

Re: Debugging automatic filter application

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 15:16 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:

> I can't figure out why filters are not being applied automatically when
> downloading from my (POP) server. Does anyone have debugging tips?
>
> * I've made sure I checked "Apply filters to new messages in all folders"
> (I also tried "Apply filters to new messages in Inbox on this server").
>
> * I don't think I have any other clients fetching mail. I'm not sure how to
> check whether my incoming mail is marked "new" (as opposed to just
> "unread"), but even if I found out, it may be hard to find the rogue client.
>
> * I tried the mail filters-log-actions and found I only get output when
> manually applying filters.

(This is very old information so may not still be valid, but I've used
it in the past)

There are a couple of Gconf settings to enable filter logging:

/apps/evolution/mail/filters/log = { true | false }
/apps/evolution/mail/filters/logfile = "/path/to/logfile"

You need to used gconf-editor (or whatever it's called now -- I don't
use Gnome so I may be wrong) to set the first of these to True and the
second to the name of a log file. It shouldn't be necessary to restart
Evolution but it can't hurt. Let it run for a while and then look at
the log file to see if anything jumps out.

Re: Debugging automatic filter application

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 23:51 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 15:16 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:
> > * I tried the mail filters-log-actions and found I only get output
> > when
> > manually applying filters.
>
> (This is very old information so may not still be valid, but
> I've used it in the past)
>
> There are a couple of Gconf settings to enable filter logging:

        Hi,
you are right, GConf is too old, not used for years. Up to date
information is in the User Documentation, namely here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-not-working.html.en

If I read Aditya's message properly, then it had been used.

I found the logging inefficient for real debugging purposes of the
filters, because it only logs what succeeded, not what failed. My
recent issue was that the value I've been checking for in the filter
rule didn't actually match the value the filter itself read from the
message. That is, it can depend on the actual filter rules and the used
values whether they are applied or not.

Aditya, you mentioned POP account, there is no distinguishing between
unread and newly recognized message, they behave the same. The filters
are run when the message is copied into On This Computer/Inbox.
I also do not see any option to disable filtering for POP accounts,
thus the filters should be applied always for newly received messages
in the POP account.

Did the filters apply properly when you executed them manually? You
mentioned that the log contained some information only when you
manually applied them, but I'm unsure whether it were filters you
expected to be run automatically or any other.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 12:44 AM, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 23:51 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-02-13 at 15:16 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:
> > * I tried the mail filters-log-actions and found I only get output
> > when
> > manually applying filters.
>
> (This is very old information so may not still be valid, but
> I've used it in the past)
>
> There are a couple of Gconf settings to enable filter logging:

        Hi,
you are right, GConf is too old, not used for years. Up to date
information is in the User Documentation, namely here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-filters-not-working.html.en

If I read Aditya's message properly, then it had been used.

Indeed, that's what I followed.

I found the logging inefficient for real debugging purposes of the
filters, because it only logs what succeeded, not what failed. My
recent issue was that the value I've been checking for in the filter
rule didn't actually match the value the filter itself read from the
message. That is, it can depend on the actual filter rules and the used
values whether they are applied or not.

Aditya, you mentioned POP account, there is no distinguishing between
unread and newly recognized message, they behave the same. The filters
are run when the message is copied into On This Computer/Inbox.
I also do not see any option to disable filtering for POP accounts,
thus the filters should be applied always for newly received messages
in the POP account.

Did the filters apply properly when you executed them manually?

Yes.

You mentioned that the log contained some information only when you
manually applied them, but I'm unsure whether it were filters you
expected to be run automatically or any other.

Same filters. They work manually, but nothing runs automatically.

Cheers,
Aditya

On Thu, 2017-02-16 at 13:11 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:
> Same filters. They work manually, but nothing runs automatically.

        Hi,
I think there had been done something about this between yours 3.18.5.2
and the current stable (3.22.5), but I cannot find it, thus I can be
wrong. The thing is that POP messages are always processed through
incoming filters, thus this sounds like a bug, but my filter made as
"Sender contains xxx, then move to yyy" works properly for my POP
account.

Re: Debugging automatic filter application

Aditya Prasad
Thanks. I upgraded to the latest version, but it still doesn't seem to work. Any other tips on debugging?

On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 20:28 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:
> Thanks. I upgraded to the latest version, but it still doesn't seem
> to work.

        Hi,
so is it 3.22.5 in Help->About of Evolution now? Is evolution-data-
server package of the same version as the evolution package?

I re-read your initial email and you mention there:

> > * I've made sure I checked "Apply filters to new messages in all
> > folders" (I also tried "Apply filters to new messages in Inbox
> > on this server").

while you claim it's a POP account, but POP accounts do not have any
such options, these options are available for example for IMAPx
accounts. What does Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts, column Type shows
for this account, please? Being it "pop", where did you change these
two option, please?

> Any other tips on debugging?

I cannot think of anything other than trying with gdb and installed
debuginfo for evolution-data-server and evolution, but any such
instructions are out of this mailing list purpose, the same as gdb is
not meant to be used by regular users (I do not know whether you know
gdb and how to work with it; if you do, then it's even better).

I can extend filter logging for the next version. I think it'll be
valuable.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:11 AM, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 20:28 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:
> Thanks. I upgraded to the latest version, but it still doesn't seem
> to work.

        Hi,
so is it 3.22.5 in Help->About of Evolution now? Is evolution-data-
server package of the same version as the evolution package?

My bad, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04, so I'm on 3.18.5.2-0ubuntu3.1.

I re-read your initial email and you mention there:

> > * I've made sure I checked "Apply filters to new messages in all
> > folders" (I also tried "Apply filters to new messages in Inbox
> > on this server").

while you claim it's a POP account, but POP accounts do not have any
such options, these options are available for example for IMAPx
accounts. What does Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts, column Type shows
for this account, please? Being it "pop", where did you change these
two option, please?

D'oh! You're right, it's IMAPx!

> Any other tips on debugging?

I cannot think of anything other than trying with gdb and installed
debuginfo for evolution-data-server and evolution, but any such
instructions are out of this mailing list purpose, the same as gdb is
not meant to be used by regular users (I do not know whether you know
gdb and how to work with it; if you do, then it's even better).

I haven't used gdb in a long while, but maybe I can resurrect my knowledge :)

Thanks again,

I can extend filter logging for the next version. I think it'll be
valuable.

Re: Debugging automatic filter application

Aditya Prasad
Okay, well for now I'll stick with mail on my Macbook and try email on Linux again next year :) Thanks for all your hard work!

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Aditya Prasad <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:11 AM, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 20:28 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:
> Thanks. I upgraded to the latest version, but it still doesn't seem
> to work.

        Hi,
so is it 3.22.5 in Help->About of Evolution now? Is evolution-data-
server package of the same version as the evolution package?

My bad, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04, so I'm on 3.18.5.2-0ubuntu3.1.

I re-read your initial email and you mention there:

> > * I've made sure I checked "Apply filters to new messages in all
> > folders" (I also tried "Apply filters to new messages in Inbox
> > on this server").

while you claim it's a POP account, but POP accounts do not have any
such options, these options are available for example for IMAPx
accounts. What does Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts, column Type shows
for this account, please? Being it "pop", where did you change these
two option, please?

D'oh! You're right, it's IMAPx!

> Any other tips on debugging?

I cannot think of anything other than trying with gdb and installed
debuginfo for evolution-data-server and evolution, but any such
instructions are out of this mailing list purpose, the same as gdb is
not meant to be used by regular users (I do not know whether you know
gdb and how to work with it; if you do, then it's even better).

I haven't used gdb in a long while, but maybe I can resurrect my knowledge :)

Thanks again,

I can extend filter logging for the next version. I think it'll be
valuable.

Re: Debugging automatic filter application

Benjamin Selzer
Agree. It's amazing that after so long, Linux can't get a simple email program right. Maybe amazing isn't the right word. Sad?

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Aditya Prasad <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, well for now I'll stick with mail on my Macbook and try email on Linux again next year :) Thanks for all your hard work!

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Aditya Prasad <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 1:11 AM, Milan Crha <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 2017-03-03 at 20:28 -0800, Aditya Prasad wrote:
> Thanks. I upgraded to the latest version, but it still doesn't seem
> to work.

        Hi,
so is it 3.22.5 in Help->About of Evolution now? Is evolution-data-
server package of the same version as the evolution package?

My bad, I'm running Ubuntu 16.04, so I'm on 3.18.5.2-0ubuntu3.1.

I re-read your initial email and you mention there:

> > * I've made sure I checked "Apply filters to new messages in all
> > folders" (I also tried "Apply filters to new messages in Inbox
> > on this server").

while you claim it's a POP account, but POP accounts do not have any
such options, these options are available for example for IMAPx
accounts. What does Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts, column Type shows
for this account, please? Being it "pop", where did you change these
two option, please?

D'oh! You're right, it's IMAPx!

> Any other tips on debugging?

I cannot think of anything other than trying with gdb and installed
debuginfo for evolution-data-server and evolution, but any such
instructions are out of this mailing list purpose, the same as gdb is
not meant to be used by regular users (I do not know whether you know
gdb and how to work with it; if you do, then it's even better).

I haven't used gdb in a long while, but maybe I can resurrect my knowledge :)

Thanks again,

I can extend filter logging for the next version. I think it'll be
valuable.

Re: Debugging automatic filter application

Aditya Prasad
:) I'll settle for "surprising." I'm a software engineer too, and I know how hard it can be to get even seemingly-simple things right. I'm sure there have been many talented engineers working on Evolution and other mail clients, so I probably just don't understand the challenges involved.

On Thu, 2017-04-27 at 14:11 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> Agree. It's amazing that after so long, Linux can't get a simple
> email program right. Maybe amazing isn't the right word. Sad?

I think you're wrong. You have a biased view of Evolution because there
are a couple of things that *you* don't like about it. I don't see most
of the problems the people present here, or I don't see them as
problems, and it's very, very rare that we get posts here listing all
the things that aren't broken!

In my opinion even though Evolution has bugs, it is after all an
evolving application, it works extremely well and the vast majority of
it is "right". And one thing Evolution is not is a "simple email
program" - perhaps that's where you are going wrong, Evolution is just
too complex for you.

Re: Debugging automatic filter application

On Thu, 2017-04-27 at 14:11 -0400, Benjamin Selzer wrote:
> Agree. It's amazing that after so long, Linux can't get a simple email
> program right. Maybe amazing isn't the right word. Sad?

Given your own and others' penchant for top-posting it's hard to tell
exactly what you're agreeing with, but anyone who thinks email is
simple hasn't been paying attention.

Re: Debugging automatic filter application

Benjamin Selzer
Here it comes!