Default account; missing indicators

David Burleigh
Two strange things have happened since I installed Evolution. At first, when I received incoming mail, it would trigger a message from the indicator applet in the system tray and increment the count of events. Then at some point it stopped doing that. I don't exactly remember when, but I just started noticing that it wasn't happening. I can't think of anything I installed or removed that could have affected it. I still receive indicator messages for other events, such as incoming calls on my softphone, so the indicator applet is still working.

The other strange thing is that when I set one of my mail accounts as the default, that setting does not last beyond the current session. When Evolution exits and then I restart it, the setting of the default account is gone. I'm pretty sure this is also new behavior, as I thought this setting was retained in the past.

If these are bugs I should file reports about, fine, but I am hoping there is something simple I can do to restore right behavior.

Re: Default account; missing indicators

Andre Klapper
On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 08:57 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> Two strange things have happened since I installed Evolution. At
> first, when I received incoming mail, it would trigger a message from
> the indicator applet in the system tray and increment the count of
> events. Then at some point it stopped doing that. I don't exactly
> remember when, but I just started noticing that it wasn't happening.
> I can't think of anything I installed or removed that could have
> affected it. I still receive indicator messages for other events,
> such as incoming calls on my softphone, so the indicator applet is
> still working.

Which Evolution version, distribution and desktop environment?
Which account type? POP, IMAP, something else?

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 09:10 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> Well, I answered my own question in regard to the missing indicators.
> I had added two filters to sort incoming mail into two subfolders of
> the Inbox, which worked fine, but that is evidently what disabled the
> indicators appearing, since when I unchecked those two filters, the
> seem like right behavior to me. What use are filters for sorting
> incoming mail if they disable another normal and useful function?

Err, no, it doesn't disable anything. The mail notification plugin
defaults to only notifying new messages in the Inbox. If your mail
doesn't appear in the Inbox, it won't be notified. You can change it by
going to Edit -> Plugins -> Mail Notification -> Configuration and
unticking the (only) option "Notify new messages for Inbox only".

P.

ps And please don't top post to this mailing list.

Re: Default account; missing indicators

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 08:57 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
> The other strange thing is that when I set one of my mail accounts as
> the default, that setting does not last beyond the current session.
> When Evolution exits and then I restart it, the setting of the
> default account is gone. I'm pretty sure this is also new behavior,
> as I thought this setting was retained in the past.

        Hi,
even your 3.18.5.2 is rather old, I just noticed that my latest
development version (to be 3.25.2) also doesn't show which mail account
is configured as the default in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts, thus
it can be a bug in the code. I have preselected "the right account"
when creating a new mail message in a folder where Send Account
Override is not set.

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 16:24 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 08:57 -0400, David Burleigh wrote:
The other strange thing is that when I set one of my mail accounts as the default, that setting does not last beyond the current session. When Evolution exits and then I restart it, the setting of the default account is gone. I'm pretty sure this is also new behavior, as I thought this setting was retained in the past.
Hi, even your 3.18.5.2 is rather old, I just noticed that my latest development version (to be 3.25.2) also doesn't show which mail account is configured as the default in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts, thus it can be a bug in the code. I have preselected "the right account" when creating a new mail message in a folder where Send Account Override is not set. Bye, Milan _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

That's interesting. I'd like to run the latest stable version, but unfortunately it hasn't made it to the Linux Mint repository yet, and I haven't yet found the time to complile it from source.