Deleting annoying CAUTION msg's

Joakim Tjernlund-2
Our company injects a CAUTION msg in mails which are received externally(see below). If
I try to remove this msg(the yellow box), the WHOLE mail is deleted.

Jocke

Re: Deleting annoying CAUTION msg's

Ángel González
On 2017-10-20 at 09:38 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Our company injects a CAUTION msg in mails which are received externally(see below). If
> I try to remove this msg(the yellow box), the WHOLE mail is deleted.
>
> Jocke

Hello Jocke

I'm afraid your issue is not completely clear. I will make a few guesses
based on the information you provided:

When you receive email from outside your organization, your MTA adds a
html block with text "CAUTION: This email originated from outside…" in
yellow.
(if your email was sent as html, then evolution mailing list must have
stripped it:  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-October/msg00070.html )

When you reply to these emails, attempting to remove this yellow box at
the editor, also clears the rest of the email body.

Is that an accurate description of your problem?

I remember some editor bugs that removed "too much text", but I think
those were fixed some time ago. Which version of evolution are you
using? (Help → About)

Also, there are several ways that your MTA may be injecting such block.
Modifying email content may lead to broken contents in cases that were
not contemplated/tested by the authors of such section.

It would be useful to have the full email available.
(you may use this reply as an example, so that other people here also
have the original one that was received at your MTA)

Finally, for emails that don't require html, you can probably work
around the issue by changing the editor to text plain.

Best regards

Ángel

On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 02:08 +0200, Ángel wrote:

> On 2017-10-20 at 09:38 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > Our company injects a CAUTION msg in mails which are received externally(see below). If
> > I try to remove this msg(the yellow box), the WHOLE mail is deleted.
> >
> > Jocke
>
> Hello Jocke
>
> I'm afraid your issue is not completely clear. I will make a few guesses
> based on the information you provided:
>
> When you receive email from outside your organization, your MTA adds a
> html block with text "CAUTION: This email originated from outside…" in
> yellow.
> (if your email was sent as html, then evolution mailing list must have
> stripped it:  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2017-October/msg00070.html )
Sorry, didn't think of that :(

> When you reply to these emails, attempting to remove this yellow box at
> the editor, also clears the rest of the email body.
>
> Is that an accurate description of your problem?

yes, very :)

> I remember some editor bugs that removed "too much text", but I think
> those were fixed some time ago. Which version of evolution are you
> using? (Help → About)

3.24.5

> Also, there are several ways that your MTA may be injecting such block.
> Modifying email content may lead to broken contents in cases that were
> not contemplated/tested by the authors of such section.
>
> It would be useful to have the full email available.
> (you may use this reply as an example, so that other people here also
> have the original one that was received at your MTA)

Will attach another HTML mail, fingers crossed ..

Sending a test HTML mail.

Re: Deleting annoying CAUTION msg's

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 08:32 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Will attach another HTML mail, fingers crossed ..

This would appear to make it impossible to verify any signed email from
outside your organisation. To me that means the policy is completely
broken. Are you in a position to point this out to the email admins?

Re: Deleting annoying CAUTION msg's

Pete Biggs
On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 09:50 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 08:32 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > Will attach another HTML mail, fingers crossed ..
>
> This would appear to make it impossible to verify any signed email from
> outside your organisation. To me that means the policy is completely
> broken. Are you in a position to point this out to the email admins?

I'm also curious how the company deals with incoming encrypted mail?!

On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 11:00 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 09:50 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 08:32 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > > Will attach another HTML mail, fingers crossed ..
> >
> > This would appear to make it impossible to verify any signed email from
> > outside your organisation. To me that means the policy is completely
> > broken. Are you in a position to point this out to the email admins?
> >

> I'm also curious how the company deals with incoming encrypted mail?!

Indeed, same problem. The policy sounds like lunacy to me. Instead of
educating users not to click on random links, include a warning message
they will quickly learn to ignore, then wash your hands of
responsibility for what they do. And break email into the bargain.

On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 11:12 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> On Sat, 2017-10-21 at 11:00 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > >
> > > This would appear to make it impossible to verify any signed email from
> > > outside your organisation. To me that means the policy is completely
> > > broken. Are you in a position to point this out to the email admins?
> > >

> > I'm also curious how the company deals with incoming encrypted mail?!
>
> Indeed, same problem. The policy sounds like lunacy to me. Instead of
> educating users not to click on random links, include a warning message
> they will quickly learn to ignore, then wash your hands of
> responsibility for what they do. And break email into the bargain.

You and me too. I have some influence over IT but not as much I used to have not that
main IT has moved to USA.
This policy was recently introduced and I consider it experimental still so there is hope.

Anyhow, I still wonder if the yellow box issue can be fixed?

On 2017-10-21 at 13:08 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
Anyhow, I still wonder if the yellow box issue can be fixed?

If I select from the : before the box to the . inside it, I am able to remove only the yellow box:

Best regards

Re: Deleting annoying CAUTION msg's

> Anyhow, I still wonder if the yellow box issue can be fixed?

Use "Plain Text" - the offending words can easily be deleted then. It
has the added benefit of you not sending things as HTML email. :-)

Re: Deleting annoying CAUTION msg's

Joakim Tjernlund-2
Ahh, that was non obvious to me at least.
Is this really how it should work?

Jocke

On 2017-10-21 at 13:08 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
Anyhow, I still wonder if the yellow box issue can be fixed?

If I select from the : before the box to the . inside it, I am able to remove only the yellow box:
[cid:[hidden email]]
Best regards

joakim box selection.png (25K) Download Attachment

On Sun, 2017-10-22 at 09:26 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > Anyhow, I still wonder if the yellow box issue can be fixed?
>
> Use "Plain Text" - the offending words can easily be deleted then. It
> has the added benefit of you not sending things as HTML email. :-)

Sure, you just tell the rest of the world not to send me HTML emails :)

On Sun, 2017-10-22 at 10:37 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Sun, 2017-10-22 at 09:26 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> >

> > > Anyhow, I still wonder if the yellow box issue can be fixed?
> >
> > Use "Plain Text" - the offending words can easily be deleted then. It
> > has the added benefit of you not sending things as HTML email. :-)
>
> Sure, you just tell the rest of the world not to send me HTML emails :)

My reply was a bit flippant, however this is nothing to do with what
people send you, it's what you send out. (There is nothing wrong with
sending plain text emails, and most recipients won't notice any
difference. The only issue is if the email contains rich-text
formatting you need to retain in your replies.)

Actually, a more serious answer.  If you highlight text before pressing
reply, only the highlighted text will be included in your reply. So
highlight everything except the yellow box and it should be removed.

On Sun, 2017-10-22 at 10:36 +0000, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> Ahh, that was non obvious to me at least.
> Is this really how it should work?

Almost certainly not.  But WYSIWYG editing HTML is not a trivial task
and it's difficult to unravel multi-level divs in the message,
especially in an email composer! It would be easier if there was some
form of HTML source editing option, but there isn't, and sometimes it
gets things wrong.  It is probably a bug and you might like to think
about filing a bugzilla report about it.

If you need more accomplished HTML editing, then you could always use
an external editor. (When composing a message do File -> Compose in
external editor.  This needs the external editor plugin to be installed
and configured.)

On Sun, 2017-10-22 at 12:49 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

> > > Use "Plain Text" - the offending words can easily be deleted then. It
> > > has the added benefit of you not sending things as HTML email. :-)
> >
> > Sure, you just tell the rest of the world not to send me HTML emails :)
>
> My reply was a bit flippant, however this is nothing to do with what
> people send you, it's what you send out. (There is nothing wrong with
> sending plain text emails, and most recipients won't notice any
> difference. The only issue is if the email contains rich-text
> formatting you need to retain in your replies.)

So was mine, apologies. I known I can reformat my replies into plain text and
do so from time to time. This has the unfortunate side effect of confusing some
recipients so I appreciate I can answer in HTML too.

> Actually, a more serious answer.  If you highlight text before pressing
> reply, only the highlighted text will be included in your reply. So
> highlight everything except the yellow box and it should be removed.

Yes I have noticed this too, just tried this and it worked too :)
Although for long mails this is somewhat suboptimal.