Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Bob Moore
Hi, when I use the Send/Receive button in Evolution I used to be able to see the mail being sent/received on all three accounts and could cancel one/all of them.

I'm not sure whether it's because I have just upgraded to Fedora 32 from 30, but now all I see are the small text lines alongside the 'connected' icon at the bottom of the page.

If it's something that I have selected/deselected by accident I would love to know what?

I have been unable to find how to correct this in the manual.. :-D

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be very grateful.

--
Kind Regards

Bob Moore

@BobMoor33020935

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 21:14 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:

> Hi, when I use the Send/Receive button in Evolution I used to be able
> to see the mail being sent/received on all three accounts and could
> cancel one/all of them.
>
> I'm not sure whether it's because I have just upgraded to Fedora 32
> from 30, but now all I see are the small text lines alongside the
> 'connected' icon at the bottom of the page.
>
> If it's something that I have selected/deselected by accident I would
> love to know what?

No, as that dialog constantly got into the way of everything else.

> I have been unable to find how to correct this in the manual.. :-D
>
> If anyone can shed some light on this I would be very grateful.

Perform that action twice, see that annoying dialog. :)

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Please do not send me private emails. Please always reply to the list.
Private emails don't scale and don't help others.

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 22:49 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
> Hi thanks for the reply, but I don't understand .. Perform that
> action twice?
>
> What action?

Whatever action you perform. :)
In this case, it sounds like you click the Send/Receive button.
So I proposed that you click it twice instead of once.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Bob Moore
I have just tried that, nothing happened any different... Still does not display as it used to.

All that happens is that down the bottom, alongside the online/offline icon the mail that is sent/received is displayed, but very quickly.

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 23:54 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:
Please do not send me private emails. Please always reply to the list.
Private emails don't scale and don't help others.

On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 22:49 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply, but I don't understand .. Perform that
action twice?

What action?

Whatever action you perform. :)
In this case, it sounds like you click the Send/Receive button.
So I proposed that you click it twice instead of once.

Andre Klapper  |

Kind Regards

Bob Moore

@BobMoor33020935

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Pete Biggs
On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:00 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
> I have just tried that, nothing happened any different... Still does not display as it used to.
>
> All that happens is that down the bottom, alongside the
> online/offline icon the mail that is sent/received is displayed, but
> very quickly.

In that case the popup probably doesn't get a chance to be displayed
before it closes.

Double-clicking on the Send/Receive button does make the popup display
- I've just tried it on exactly the same version as you are using.

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Bob Moore
I will try again...

But it does not explain why it's NOT displaying after single click ?

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:10 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:00 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
I have just tried that, nothing happened any different... Still does not display as it used to.

All that happens is that down the bottom, alongside the
online/offline icon the mail that is sent/received is displayed, but
very quickly.

In that case the popup probably doesn't get a chance to be displayed
before it closes.

Double-clicking on the Send/Receive button does make the popup display
- I've just tried it on exactly the same version as you are using.

Kind Regards

Bob Moore

@BobMoor33020935

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Bob Moore
Is it possible there has been a corruption of one of the config files?

Perhaps the amount of time it's displayed has been altered?

I have reinstalled Evolution, but it didn't change anything.

But if there is an existing copy of the program, perhaps a corrupted file would not get overwritten?

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:36 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
> I will try again...
>
> But it does not explain why it's NOT displaying after single click ?

Because a lot of people found the popup incredibly annoying so it was
turned off. It doesn't provide any more information than is displayed
in the bottom info bar.

Presumably, rather than waste or remove the code that displayed the
popup it was switched to being displayed on double-click.

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:43 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
> Is it possible there has been a corruption of one of the config files?
>
> Perhaps the amount of time it's displayed has been altered?

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Bob Moore
Well even then the double click does not work properly.

Personally, I like the popup, as the information it gives is more informative and lasts longer!

The bottom info runs in milliseconds and you don't even have chance to see it.

I would like to know how to reinstate this feature if anyone can tell me?

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:47 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:36 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
I will try again...

But it does not explain why it's NOT displaying after single click ?

Because a lot of people found the popup incredibly annoying so it was
turned off. It doesn't provide any more information than is displayed
in the bottom info bar.

Presumably, rather than waste or remove the code that displayed the
popup it was switched to being displayed on double-click.

Kind Regards

Bob Moore

@BobMoor33020935

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:43 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
> Is it possible there has been a corruption of one of the config
> files?

No. Why?

> Perhaps the amount of time it's displayed has been altered?

No. If you only pull a few messages from a POP account then it's only
displayed for a moment. No change at all.

> I have reinstalled Evolution, but it didn't change anything.

Reinstalling never fixes anything.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:54 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
> In which case can someone explain how I can reinstate it to it's
> former self please? :-D:-D

You could revert the code changes, compile the code yourself, and
maintain the additional software complexity for years to come. :)

See also https://ometer.com/preferences.html

(Or you could remember to look at the status bar.
Or you could remember to double-click. Might be easier.)

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Bob Moore
I don't know enough about the code to attempt to do that ;)

But would like a toggle arrangement built in so that users can have a say as to whether they want it disabled. :)

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 12:10 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:
On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:54 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
In which case can someone explain how I can reinstate it to it's
former self please? :-D:-D

You could revert the code changes, compile the code yourself, and
maintain the additional software complexity for years to come. :)

See also
https://ometer.com/preferences.html

(Or you could remember to look at the status bar.
Or you could remember to double-click. Might be easier.)

Andre Klapper  |

Kind Regards

Bob Moore

@BobMoor33020935

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 11:21 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
> I don't know enough about the code to attempt to do that ;)
>
> But would like a toggle arrangement built in so that users can have a
> say as to whether they want it disabled. :)

[Please don't top-post on the list]

You can file an RFE (Request For Enhancement) on the Evolution Gitlab
page at: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues

poc

PS This URL should perhaps be included in the list footers. It takes
some work to find it otherwise.

On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 11:38 +0100, Bob Moore wrote:
> yes you get a very quick flash of the dialogue box that should
> appear, and then it's gone !!

        Hi,
the dialog itself works the same as "before". When there is nothing
happening it's hidden automatically. The quick flash you see means
there is nothing going on, thus there is nothing to cancel, thus the
dialog closes itself.

I do not know how you moved your data from one machine to another, but
I'd check how you check for new messages. Especially the "Check for new
messages in all folders" in the account Properties->Receiving Options
tab, might be of an interest. Maybe you had it enabled on the previous
install and it is disabled on the new install.

With respect of restoring the previous behaviour, the only reason why
the dialog shows up on the second click (not really double-click) is to
cover users like you, whom prefer to see it. To give you a way to have
the dialog, even it's not needed as such. Do not expect to add an
option to show the dialog on the first click.

Re: Displaying the amount of mail being received on each account Evolution 3.36.5-1.fc32

Adam Tauno Williams
On Mon, 2020-11-02 at 10:43 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:
> Is it possible there has been a corruption of one of the config
> files?
> Perhaps the amount of time it's displayed has been altered?
> I have reinstalled Evolution, but it didn't change anything.

Reinstalling applications will not fix things.  The configuration of
the application is in each user's home directory - and it remains even
if the application is remove [feature, not a bug].

> But if there is an existing copy of the program, perhaps a corrupted
> file would not get overwritten?
--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>