Don't show attachments inline

Franco Broi
Hi

I am running Evolution 3.18.5.2 on Linux Mint.

I routinely send and receive emails with script archive attachments.
When I try to view these messages, Evolution shows the attachment in-
line, this makes it hang for many seconds even when I am looking at my
own sent folder on my computer.

Looking through all the mail settings, there doesn't appear to be any
option to never open attachments even if they are plain text, is this
correct?

If this option doesn't exit, would it be possible to add it as a
plugin?

Re: Don't show attachments inline

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2018-06-19 at 10:24 +0800, Franco Broi wrote:
> I routinely send and receive emails with script archive attachments.
> When I try to view these messages, Evolution shows the attachment in-
> line, this makes it hang for many seconds even when I am looking at
> my own sent folder on my computer.

        Hi,
how large the attachments are, please? It can be that the text-
highlight module causes the slowness, it used to be the reason in the
past. You can move it away from
   /usr/lib64/evolution/modules/module-text-highlight.so
or wherever your distribution has it installed. Then you'll lose the
syntax highlighting, but it'll be quicker. Newer version has this
addressed, of course.

> Looking through all the mail settings, there doesn't appear to be any
> option to never open attachments even if they are plain text, is this
> correct?

It depends. Does the corresponding part contain:
header? If so, then it is suggested to show it inline. This can be
disabled in GSettings:
   $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail display-content-disposition-inline false
but I've no idea whether your ancient version has that option or not,
I'm sorry. If it's without that header, well, there can be a way
to write a module for it, but I'm not sure whether it could be used in
your version.

On Tue, 2018-06-19 at 09:00 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:

> On Tue, 2018-06-19 at 10:24 +0800, Franco Broi wrote:
> >
> > I routinely send and receive emails with script archive
> > attachments.
> > When I try to view these messages, Evolution shows the attachment
> > in-
> > line, this makes it hang for many seconds even when I am looking at
> > my own sent folder on my computer.
> Hi,
> how large the attachments are, please? It can be that the text-
> highlight module causes the slowness, it used to be the reason in the
> past. You can move it away from
>    /usr/lib64/evolution/modules/module-text-highlight.so
> or wherever your distribution has it installed. Then you'll lose the
> syntax highlighting, but it'll be quicker. Newer version has this
> addressed, of course.

Great, that fixes it, Evolution doesn't try to open the attachment
without that module.

> > Looking through all the mail settings, there doesn't appear to be
> > any
> > option to never open attachments even if they are plain text, is
> > this
> > correct?
> It depends. Does the corresponding part contain:

No it doesn't but no matter, the fix above works for me.

Thank you very much.

> header? If so, then it is suggested to show it inline. This can be
> disabled in GSettings:
>    $ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail display-content-
> disposition-inline false
> but I've no idea whether your ancient version has that option or not,
> I'm sorry. If it's without that header, well, there can be a way
> to write a module for it, but I'm not sure whether it could be used
> in
> your version.

I only recently switched to Linux Mint, some of the apps are a little
old but I really like the Cinnamon desktop. Was running it on Fedora
but it kept locking up.

Thanks again for the quick response.