Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Pete Biggs

Evolution 3.36.5 (3.36.5-1.fc32)

There has been some discussion about dragging messages and I've looked
at various bug reports about dragging things around. But this seems
slightly different.

If I drag a message from the message list to another folder in the left
hand pane the whole UI (i.e. gnome shell) freezes about 90% of the
time. This only happens on my home machine (which runs X) and not my
work machine (that runs Wayland).  I can get things back by switching
to a text terminal and killing evolution (it needs a KILL not a TERM),
but it leaves gnome shell in a strange state which can be corrected
using Alt-F2 r, but if chrome is running, that doesn't recover and also
has to be killed.

I've been running evolution using

    WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 evolution

for an hour or so and it seems to fix it, but I haven't done enough yet
to be sure.

Is this the same as any of the other bug reports? i.e.

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1888623
or
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1155

P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 22:28 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> If I drag a message from the message list to another folder in the left
> hand pane the whole UI (i.e. gnome shell) freezes about 90% of the
> time.
>
> I've been running evolution using
>
>     WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 evolution

FWIW on Arch Linux I experience short freezes for a lot of apps, e.g.
when opening firefox, when using 5+ kernels, so I stay with 4+ kernels.
IIRC I read on the Arch bug tracker that other using the X intel driver,
too, suffer from freezes, too and crashes. Crashes don't happen on my
machine.

However, here Evolution doesn't crash or freeze, it just "refuses" to
move mails.
It doesn't change when running WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 evolution.

rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 evolution

(evolution-alarm-notify:91081): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 08:14:05.613: Your application did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider using g_application_run().
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: Duplicate plugin <http://www.openavproductions.com/fabla>
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... found in file:///home/rocketmouse/.lv2/fabla.lv2/
lilv_world_add_plugin(): warning: ... and      file:///usr/lib/lv2/fabla.lv2/ (ignored)

(evolution:91075): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 08:19:40.414: Your application did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider using g_application_run().
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 evolution

(evolution-alarm-notify:91423): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 08:19:44.655: Your application did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider using g_application_run().

(evolution:91417): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 08:20:58.380: Your application did not unregister from D-Bus before destruction. Consider using g_application_run().
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Q evolution evolution-data-server webkit2gtk xorg-server
evolution 3.38.1-1
evolution-data-server 3.38.1-1
webkit2gtk 2.30.2-1
xorg-server 1.20.9-2

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 23:28 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1888623
> or
>  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1155

        Hi,
the first is when moving the mouse cursor above the preview panel when
doing the drag, and that only with WebKitGTK 2.30.0+.

The second is about moving messages within evolution, not out of it
(accidentally also related to WebKitGTK 2.30.0+).

I'd guess you face something in between of the second and
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/974
No idea whether you drop to gnome-shell (Nautilus?) as pdf or mbox.

Could you install debuginfo packages for glib, gtk+, evolution and
evolution-data-server (sudo dnf install evolution-debuginfo evolution-
data-server-debuginfo gtk3-debuginfo glib2-debuginfo --
enablerepo=updates-debuginfo; in case youhave installed debuginfo of
any of those, then use 'update' instead of 'install', and make sure the
debugingo package version exactly matches the binary package version)
and when it freezes, before you kill the application, grab the
backtrace of it, please? You can get the backtrace with command like
this:
   $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

That will show where (eventually also why) it froze.
        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Pete Biggs
On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 08:42 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 23:28 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1888623
> > or
> >  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1155
>
> Hi,
> the first is when moving the mouse cursor above the preview panel when
> doing the drag, and that only with WebKitGTK 2.30.0+.
>
> The second is about moving messages within evolution, not out of it
> (accidentally also related to WebKitGTK 2.30.0+).
>
> I'd guess you face something in between of the second and
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/974
> No idea whether you drop to gnome-shell (Nautilus?) as pdf or mbox.
It is dragging the message within Evolution, not outside. And with a
bit more experimenting it happens when the cursor hits the preview
pane. But this locks the whole desktop rather than just affecting
evolution.

>
> and when it freezes, before you kill the application, grab the
> backtrace of it, please? You can get the backtrace with command like
> this:
>    $ gdb --batch --ex "t a a bt" -pid=`pidof evolution` &>bt.txt
> Please check the bt.txt for any private information, like passwords,
> email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
> least (quotes for clarity only).
>
Backtrace attached. (BTW, Evolution just crashed twice on me when
dragging the file into the attachment pane - I had to use the file
chooser to attach it!)

It looks like it is trying to print the message to a file (line 249 in
bt.txt), which is not what was intended, I just wanted to move the
message from one folder to another.  Is it misinterpreting the cursor
entering the preview pane as some other function - even so, I didn't
think it would do anything until the mouse button is released.

P.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

bt.txt (39K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 23:24 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> It looks like it is trying to print the message to a file (line 249
> in bt.txt), which is not what was intended, I just wanted to move the
> message from one folder to another.  Is it misinterpreting the cursor
> entering the preview pane as some other function - even so, I didn't
> think it would do anything until the mouse button is released.

        Hi,
right, it's what WebKitGTK does, it asks for the actual provided data
by the drag operation to decide what it can do and what not, just when
the mouse moves above the web view. A bit more information can be found
here:
https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218462

        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Pete Biggs
On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 10:20 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 23:24 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > It looks like it is trying to print the message to a file (line 249
> > in bt.txt), which is not what was intended, I just wanted to move the
> > message from one folder to another.  Is it misinterpreting the cursor
> > entering the preview pane as some other function - even so, I didn't
> > think it would do anything until the mouse button is released.
>
> Hi,
> right, it's what WebKitGTK does, it asks for the actual provided data
> by the drag operation to decide what it can do and what not, just when
> the mouse moves above the web view. A bit more information can be found
> here:
> https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218462
>
The bug mentions that the drag just gets cancelled. In my case it locks
the whole of the desktop - the mouse pointer changes to the drag form
and never goes back and all windows are unresponsive (and it does
horrible things to chrome).  I presume it is still all the same issue.

Is this related to the problems people have of dragging to a file and
creating a PDF/TXT file?

I'm due to update to Fedora33 - is it fixed in there? (WebKitGTK verson
2.30.2-1, Evolution 3.38.1)

P.

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 12:05 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> Is this related to the problems people have of dragging to a file and
> creating a PDF/TXT file?

        Hi,
it's reproducible only when saving to pdf. Some desktops freeze
completely, some only kill the mouse (like for me), some may do
something else. I can Alt+Tab to a different window and eventually kill
Evolution.

> I'm due to update to Fedora33 - is it fixed in there? (WebKitGTK
> verson 2.30.2-1, Evolution 3.38.1)

No, it's not. Clean install may not exhibit it, because the default
export format is mbox, not pdf. There was an attempt to address this
partly, at:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/969
which has a still opened follow up:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/974

        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Pete Biggs
On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 13:27 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 12:05 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > Is this related to the problems people have of dragging to a file and
> > creating a PDF/TXT file?
>
> Hi,
> it's reproducible only when saving to pdf. Some desktops freeze
> completely, some only kill the mouse (like for me), some may do
> something else. I can Alt+Tab to a different window and eventually kill
> Evolution.
>
> > I'm due to update to Fedora33 - is it fixed in there? (WebKitGTK
> > verson 2.30.2-1, Evolution 3.38.1)
>
> No, it's not. Clean install may not exhibit it, because the default
> export format is mbox, not pdf. There was an attempt to address this
> partly, at:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/969
> which has a still opened follow up:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/974
>
I changed the target to being mbox (it was PDF). The drag and drop now
doesn't complete, but it also now doesn't lock the desktop. I can live
with that.

Reading through the bug reports it looks like the issues with chrome
were because it always happens to be in the same screen space and the
context were getting confused.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Drag messages from list to folder tree freezes evolution

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 14:52 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> I changed the target to being mbox (it was PDF). The drag and drop
> now doesn't complete, but it also now doesn't lock the desktop. I can
> live with that.

        Hi,
for what it's worth, I just disabled export to PDF on drag&drop,
because it simply doesn't work with WebKit2. WebKitGTK doesn't know
export to PDF, it requires a printer, always. I didn't find a way to
search for the "Print to File" printer, especially because it's a
localized name, thus it can change with different locales. That's only
one part of the problem. The drag will always drop as .mbox since
3.38.2+.

Regarding the drop completion, I believe it'll be fixed with:
https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=218562
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list