Dump of address book contents to something other than vcard?

Dump of address book contents to something other than vcard?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Linux Mint 19.3 kernal 5.3.0-42-generic smp
Evolution 3.36.1 (flatpak git85f017e)

Is it possible to dump the contents of contact lists to something other than vcards? Perhaps csv ?

Thanks.
Mike

Re: Dump of address book contents to something other than vcard?

Andre Klapper
On Thu, 2020-03-26 at 17:21 -0500, Japhering, Anonymous via evolution-
list wrote:
> Evolution 3.36.1 (flatpak git85f017e)
>
> Is it possible to dump the contents of contact lists to something
> other than vcards? Perhaps csv ?

No, but why would you want to do that anyway? CSV cannot not even
define a character encoding so data easily becomes garbage.

list wrote:
Evolution 3.36.1 (flatpak git85f017e)

Is it possible to dump the contents of contact lists to something
other than vcards? Perhaps csv ?

No, but why would you want to do that anyway? CSV cannot not even
define a character encoding so data easily becomes garbage.

Given that I control what goes into the address book, garbage (aside from my
bad typing) isn't really an issue.

Why, I need the list out to manipulate for other purposes and vcard is much
more verbose than I need.  CSV because it is common and relatively easy.

Not a requirement, just an option as I have plenty of handy tools to manipulate
it as well as for json or xml.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Andre Klapper  |

Re: Dump of address book contents to something other than vcard?

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-03-27 at 03:37 -0500, Japhering, Anonymous via evolution-
list wrote:
> CSV because it is common and relatively easy.

        Hi,
there's a tool called addressbook-export, provided by
evolution-data-server, which can export either to vCard or to CSV. Not
the best tool, but at least something.

It's usually in
   /usr/libexec/evolution-data-server/addressbook-export
The --help argument is your friend.

As you use Flatpak, it's more tricky to run. First of all, run
Evolution in Flatpak (to start the needed background processes). Then
open terminal inside the Evolution's sandbox:

   $ flatpak run --command=sh org.gnome.Evolution

and there you can run the addressbook-export. If I'm not mistaken, then
it's:

   $ /app/libexec/evolution-data-server/addressbook-export

I left up to you how to extract the resulting file out of the Flatpak
sandbox (copying from the terminal window may break whitespaces, thus
be careful).

Re: Dump of address book contents to something other than vcard?

Adam Tauno Williams
list wrote:
> Linux Mint 19.3 kernal 5.3.0-42-generic smp
> Evolution 3.36.1 (flatpak git85f017e)
> Is it possible to dump the contents of contact lists to something
> other than vcards? Perhaps csv ?

Yes.  Not sure how to make it work with flatpak, but on a normal
install...

awilliam@bestia:~> /usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-data-server/addressbook-export --list-addressbook-folders
"e6c290dd4806c85404c456ae0c1aa1583907c616","Contacts",16
"[hidden email]","Favorites",0
"[hidden email]","HPNA",25
"[hidden email]","MARP",57
"[hidden email]","MI Favorites",21
"[hidden email]","MI Users",560
"[hidden email]","Morrison",21
"system-address-book","Personal",76

awilliam@bestia:~> /usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-data-server/addressbook-export  --format=csv --output=marp.csv [hidden email]

awilliam@bestia:~> ls -l marp.csv
-rw-r--r-- 1 awilliam users 18933 Mar 27 11:58 marp.csv

NOTE: if you have remote address books the --list-addressbook-folders can be slow.

--
Executive Committee Chair
Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers