E-D-S keeps restarting after kill

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

E-D-S keeps restarting after kill

Scott Anderson-3
Hi:

I am debugging evolution crashes and frequently use 'evolution --force-shutdown' and killev, which
stop evolution and alarm notify.  However, only a specific kill to the evolution data server
process id will kill it.   I think killev used to kill the E-D-S as well.

To boot, the E-D-S restarts again without starting evolution (or any other user input).  Is there
a daemon watching E-D-S that starts it again?

Scott


               
__________________________________________
Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about.
Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E-D-S keeps restarting after kill

Harish Krishnaswamy-2
Other EDS clients like the clock applet on your panel, contact look-up
applet, gaim , Open Office also start/use E-D-S just like Evolution. You
have one or more of them running on your desktop.

Harish
 
On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 13:56 -0800, Scott Anderson wrote:
> Hi:

> I am debugging evolution crashes and frequently use 'evolution --force-shutdown' and killev, which
> stop evolution and alarm notify.  However, only a specific kill to the evolution data server
> process id will kill it.   I think killev used to kill the E-D-S as well.
>
> To boot, the E-D-S restarts again without starting evolution (or any other user input).  Is there
> a daemon watching E-D-S that starts it again?
>
> Scott
>
>
>
> __________________________________________
> Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about.
> Just $16.99/mo. or less.
> dsl.yahoo.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E-D-S keeps restarting after kill

Scott Anderson-3
When evolution crashes, do I need to kill/restart E-D-S to clean things up before restarting
evolution?

Scott

--- Harish Krishnaswamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Other EDS clients like the clock applet on your panel, contact look-up
> applet, gaim , Open Office also start/use E-D-S just like Evolution. You
> have one or more of them running on your desktop.
>
> Harish
>  
> On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 13:56 -0800, Scott Anderson wrote:
> > Hi:
>
> > I am debugging evolution crashes and frequently use 'evolution --force-shutdown' and killev,
> which
> > stop evolution and alarm notify.  However, only a specific kill to the evolution data server
> > process id will kill it.   I think killev used to kill the E-D-S as well.
> >
> > To boot, the E-D-S restarts again without starting evolution (or any other user input).  Is
> there
> > a daemon watching E-D-S that starts it again?
> >
> > Scott
> >
> >
> >



               
__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E-D-S keeps restarting after kill

Scott Anderson-3
In reply to this post by Scott Anderson-3
I reviewed the plugins list, and the Groupwise Accounts Setup is already check (they are all
checked).  What now?

Scott

--- Veerapuram Varadhan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:01 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> > When evolution crashes, do I need to kill/restart E-D-S to clean
> things up before restarting
> > evolution?
> Not always, but, rarely you may need to.
>
> V. Varadhan
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > --- Harish Krishnaswamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Other EDS clients like the clock applet on your panel, contact
> look-up
> > > applet, gaim , Open Office also start/use E-D-S just like Evolution.
> You
> > > have one or more of them running on your desktop.
> > >
> > > Harish
> > >  
> > > On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 13:56 -0800, Scott Anderson wrote:
> > > > Hi:
> > >
> > > > I am debugging evolution crashes and frequently use 'evolution
> --force-shutdown' and killev,
> > > which
> > > > stop evolution and alarm notify.  However, only a specific kill to
> the evolution data server
> > > > process id will kill it.   I think killev used to kill the E-D-S
> as well.
> > > >
> > > > To boot, the E-D-S restarts again without starting evolution (or
> any other user input).  Is
> > > there
> > > > a daemon watching E-D-S that starts it again?
> > > >
> > > > Scott
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > __________________________________
> > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
> > Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.
> > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
> > _______________________________________________
> > Evolution-list mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
>



               
__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E-D-S keeps restarting after kill

Harish Krishnaswamy-2
In reply to this post by Scott Anderson-3
On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 07:01 -0800, Scott Anderson wrote:
> When evolution crashes, do I need to kill/restart E-D-S to clean things up before restarting
> evolution?
Not necessary all(most of) the times and only if it was an
addressbook/calendar issue that crashed in Evo. You do need (that is a
request :-) ) to file a bug report with the crash information, though.

cheers,
harish

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E-D-S keeps restarting after kill

Scott Anderson-3
--- Harish Krishnaswamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 07:01 -0800, Scott Anderson wrote:
> > When evolution crashes, do I need to kill/restart E-D-S to clean things up before restarting
> > evolution?
> Not necessary all(most of) the times and only if it was an
> addressbook/calendar issue that crashed in Evo. You do need (that is a
> request :-) ) to file a bug report with the crash information, though.
>

I'm sending them :)

Scott


               
__________________________________
Start your day with Yahoo! - Make it your home page!
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E-D-S keeps restarting after kill

Karsten Bräckelmann-2
In reply to this post by Scott Anderson-3

> I am debugging evolution crashes and frequently use 'evolution
> --force-shutdown' and killev, which stop evolution and alarm notify.
> However, only a specific kill to the evolution data server process id
> will kill it.   I think killev used to kill the E-D-S as well.

'killev' is not recommended since it was moved outside your $PATH. Use
'evolution --force-shutdown' instead.

Anyway, not only 'killev' used to shutdown e-d-s, 'evolution
--force-shutdown' used to, too. This has changed since 2.4, which is to
be considered a bug.

  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=323115


> To boot, the E-D-S restarts again without starting evolution (or any
> other user input).  Is there a daemon watching E-D-S that starts it
> again?

Other apps that use e-d-s will restart it if they need to (as Harish
already mentioned).

...guenther


--
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu\0.@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";
main(){ char h,m=h=*t++,*x=t+2*h,c,i,l=*x,s=0; for (i=0;i<l;i++){ i%8? c<<=1:
(c=*++x); c&128 && (s+=h); if (!(h>>=1)||!t[s+h]){ putchar(t[s]);h=m;s=0; }}}

_______________________________________________
Evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list