EWS Error message when sending emails

Nitemn
This post was updated on .
I have a very odd problem in Evolution. I am using Evolution to connect to Exchange 2013. All the connections work fine with no issues except when I send an email via outbox I get this message: "operation would change object type which is not permitted" Can verify that the message is sent but this message keep showing up on every time. I have also checked the Sent Items folder and it does show up there as well. It seems that the operation is fine but the message is annoying and have to click on x to close it after every email is sent. I have also checked the permissions on the Outbox folder as well as Sent Items folder and they seem to be fine also. Any help on this is appreciated. I am using Ubuntu 17.04 with Evolution version 3.22.6 Also after sending an email if I try to close Evolution I get the message that I have unsent email in the outbox but outbox is empty and all the emails are sent.

Re: EWS Error message when sending emails

Nitemn
Just a couple of more points on this.  If I disable the sent via Outbox there is no change and the message still shows up.  Also when I click on send/receive the error message shows up as well.

Re: EWS Error message when sending emails

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-04-18 at 13:27 -0700, Nitemn wrote:
> Just a couple of more points on this.  If I disable the sent via
> Outbox there
> is no change and the message still shows up.  Also when I click on
> send/receive the error message shows up as well.

        Hi,
I do not recall seeing any such error message in the past myself,
neither any report about it. Could you check what Sent folder you've
set in Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts-><EWS Account>->Edit->Defaults
tab, please? Evolution tries to save the sent message there and as the
message had been sent then it's possible the error comes from this
"copy to sent folder" post-operation.

Also, it might be interesting to see what evolution-ews tried to do in
the background. You can get the log when you run evolution like this:
   $ EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution
Let it do all the things it does after start and once the output stops
coming send a test message and get the newly added output only. As this
exposes raw communication between evolution-ews and the server then
make sure you'll not expose any private information there, like email
addresses, server addresses and such.

Re: EWS Error message when sending emails

Nitemn
This post was updated on .
Thank you Milan,

I Checked the folder you mentioned and it goes to "Sent Items" Folder.  I see the out going emails in that folder.  I also checked the permissions on that folder and they look to be OK.

Here is the log from the output.  I have piped the output to file attached.

Thanks
Nick

On Wed, 2017-04-19 at 08:33 -0700, Nitemn wrote:
> Here is the log from the output.  I have piped the output to file
> attached.

        Hi,
I see, you are sending a meeting invitation. Does it claim the same
error when sending regular email, plain text or HTML, without any
attachment?

My Exchange 2013 doesn't claim anything on such email. My version is
older than yours, which identifies itself as:
> MajorVersion="15" MinorVersion="0" MajorBuildNumber="1178"
> MinorBuildNumber="2" Version="V2_23"
while mine is
> MajorVersion="15" MinorVersion="0" MajorBuildNumber="620"
> MinorBuildNumber="29" Version="Exchange2013"
I know that Microsoft use to add more and more checks for strict input
with updated, which might be the case here as well. But that's only a
guess. I do not see anything clearly odd in the way evolution-ews sends
meeting invitations, unfortunately.

P.S.: By the way, you might want to delete that file, if possible, it
contains some private information (I mentioned that). :)

Re: EWS Error message when sending emails

Nitemn
I was sending an email not an invite. Not sure why it shows up that way.

On Wed, 2017-04-19 at 10:38 -0700, Nitemn wrote:
> I was sending an email not an invite. Not sure why it shows up that
> way.

        Hi,
that's truly weird. Just in case, you used File->New->Mail Message,
there picked From an EWS address, wrote into To yourself, into Subject
"test", and into the body also "test" and then sent it, right?

I didn't notice what Date header of the message, nor in the component,
was set in that log you posted earlier, I didn't think of it.

I would check On This Computer/Outbox content. It can be that that
message is still there, waiting to be sent and whenever you send a
message it's tried to be send again. Make sure you do not have any
filters active in that folder [1], even try View->Show Deleted Messages
and View->Show Junk Messages, just to see as much as possible.

[1] https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-cannot-see.html.en

Re: EWS Error message when sending emails

Nitemn
Yes that is correct about the Test message.  I have checked the out box and there is no email there.  I also logged into the exchange via outlook web to insure there was not messages there either.

Thanks
Nick

Re: EWS Error message when sending emails

Nitemn
Ok I figured out the problem Finally  !!!!!

There was a message stuck in the Local Machine outbox!!!  I kept checking the Exchange outbox with no luck since in the Preferences Account view the local Machine account was unchecked.

I have also leaned that when I check the box to send emails via Outbox it uses the local outbox and not the one created by exchange.

Milan thank you so much for all your help on this issue.  It was a great leaning experience for me.