EWS account goes offline after a while.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

EWS account goes offline after a while.

Bjørn T Johansen
After the latest update on Arch linux, the EWS account is being marked as offline a little while after opening the application. Never had such problems before, so I am guessing something in the latest update is causing this.
Is this a known problem or? (I can close the application and then it works ok for a little while again)
The update was for evolution and evolution-data-server from 3.32.2 to 3.32.3 (should evolution-ews also have been upgraded to 3.32.3, is that the reason?)

After writing this, I was thinking that this may be related to that on this EWS account, I get authentication errors all the time. I can then just close the message and the account works without any problems again , for a while. Maybe this behaviour has been changed in the latest verson and that when the authentication error happens, Evolution now sets the account offline? Or?
Anyway to get back the old ways? 🙂


Regards,

BTJ

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bjørn T Johansen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EWS account goes offline after a while.

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sun, 2019-06-23 at 14:07 +0000, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> After the latest update on Arch linux, the EWS account is being
> marked as offline a little while after opening the application. Never
> had such problems before, so I am guessing something in the latest
> update is causing this.
> Is this a known problem or? (I can close the application and then it
> works ok for a little while again)

        Hi,
the only similar thing being reported recently I can think of is about
whole Evolution being offline. The problem was with the way
GNetworkMonitor reported online state. One way to workaround was to
change the implementation in Evolution's Edit->Preferences->Network
Preferences. If only the EWS account is going offline, then it can be a
different thing.

> The update was for evolution and evolution-data-server from 3.32.2 to
> 3.32.3 (should evolution-ews also have been upgraded to 3.32.3, is
> that the reason?)

There was no 3.32.3 release of evolution-ews, because there was no
change there.

> After writing this, I was thinking that this may be related to that
> on this EWS account, I get authentication errors all the time.

Errors like what? Could you copy&paste it here (with anything private
in it replaced), please?

Did also libsoup change? I think of:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libsoup/merge_requests/54

> I can then just close the message and the account works without any
> problems again , for a while. Maybe this behaviour has been changed
> in the latest verson and that when the authentication error happens,
> Evolution now sets the account offline?

I'm not aware of any related change off head (which doesn't mean there
didn't change anything with it; if you can downgrade only evolution-
data-server and evolution to 3.32.2, then you'll verify whether it was
really that - if trying, then do not forget to restart the machine). If
it's about those auth errors, then better to address them, than to live
with them and workaround them by some other means.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EWS account goes offline after a while.

Bjørn T Johansen
On Mon, 2019-06-24 at 16:30 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
>
> > After writing this, I was thinking that this may be related to that
> > on this EWS account, I get authentication errors all the time.
>
> Errors like what? Could you copy&paste it here (with anything private
> in it replaced), please?

The error that comes, is this:

Failed to refresh folder "accountname:Inbox".
The reported error was “Authentication failed”

>
> Did also libsoup change? I think of:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libsoup/merge_requests/54

I have checked the pacman log but no libsoup update around the same time

>
>
> > I can then just close the message and the account works without any
> > problems again , for a while. Maybe this behaviour has been changed
> > in the latest verson and that when the authentication error happens,
> > Evolution now sets the account offline?
>
> I'm not aware of any related change off head (which doesn't mean there
> didn't change anything with it; if you can downgrade only evolution-
> data-server and evolution to 3.32.2, then you'll verify whether it was
> really that - if trying, then do not forget to restart the machine). If
> it's about those auth errors, then better to address them, than to live
> with them and workaround them by some other means.
> Bye,
> Milan
>

Ok, I have downgraded evolution and evolution-data-server and now I am back to the way it was. i.e. I get errors about authenticaion errors but when I
just open another email, Evolution continues to work as nothing has happend.

About the authentication erros, we had a go on this for a while ago but did not really come to any conclusions.. The problem seems to be firewall
related.. I can use the same version of Evolution inside work (inside the LAN) and there I have no such errors. But here at home, I have those
errors.
(But I am connected to the same mailserver from my iphone but I am using activesync on my phone so I guess that's why I do not have the same issues
there..)


BTJ
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EWS account goes offline after a while.

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 12:16 +0000, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> The error that comes, is this:
>
> Failed to refresh folder "accountname:Inbox".
> The reported error was “Authentication failed”

        Hi,
you can try to run evolution with EWS debugging like this:

   $ EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution

and when this authentication error shows up, you can find it in the log
and eventually see whether the server returned any additional
information, which could not be shown in the GUI. Just in case.

> Ok, I have downgraded evolution and evolution-data-server and now I
> am back to the way it was.

Hmm, I'd not expect that, but maybe this one "Change how
CamelOfflineStore goes online" in eds is related. Eventually also
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/479

> About the authentication erros, we had a go on this for a while ago
> but did not really come to any conclusions..

I'm sorry, that might be a long time ago.

> The problem seems to be firewall related.. I can use the same version
> of Evolution inside work (inside the LAN) and there I have no such
> errors. But here at home, I have those errors.

You should use the external EWS URL when you are not on the internal
network. The servers can provide such addresses (one for internal and
one for external access point). When you run with debugging on (as
shown above) and in the EWS account Properties-> Receiving Email tab
click "Fetch URL", you'll see some XML data related to autodiscover.
That's what the server advertises. Search for Exchange.asmx there. It
can also depend whether you use NTLM or Basic authentication, I think.

> (But I am connected to the same mailserver from my iphone but I am
> using activesync on my phone so I guess that's why I do not have the
> same issues there..)

Right, those are two different protocols. I do not know whether you've
them available on the same server (host name).
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EWS account goes offline after a while.

Bjørn T Johansen

The problem seems to be firewall related.. I can use the same version
of Evolution inside work (inside the LAN) and there I have no such
errors. But here at home, I have those errors.

You should use the external EWS URL when you are not on the internal
network. The servers can provide such addresses (one for internal and
one for external access point). When you run with debugging on (as
shown above) and in the EWS account Properties-> Receiving Email tab
click "Fetch URL", you'll see some XML data related to autodiscover.
That's what the server advertises. Search for Exchange.asmx there. It
can also depend whether you use NTLM or Basic authentication, I think.



Just popping in to say that the hostname used for our Exchange server, is the same for both internal and external access..


BTJ

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EWS account goes offline after a while.

Bjørn T Johansen
In reply to this post by Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 14:37 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-06-26 at 12:16 +0000, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > The error that comes, is this:
> >
> > Failed to refresh folder "accountname:Inbox".
> > The reported error was “Authentication failed”
>
> Hi,
> you can try to run evolution with EWS debugging like this:
>
>    $ EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution
>
> and when this authentication error shows up, you can find it in the log
> and eventually see whether the server returned any additional
> information, which could not be shown in the GUI. Just in case.
>
> > Ok, I have downgraded evolution and evolution-data-server and now I
> > am back to the way it was.
>
> Hmm, I'd not expect that, but maybe this one "Change how
> CamelOfflineStore goes online" in eds is related. Eventually also
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/479
>
>
> > About the authentication erros, we had a go on this for a while ago
> > but did not really come to any conclusions..
>
> I'm sorry, that might be a long time ago.
>
> > The problem seems to be firewall related.. I can use the same version
> > of Evolution inside work (inside the LAN) and there I have no such
> > errors. But here at home, I have those errors.
>
> You should use the external EWS URL when you are not on the internal
> network. The servers can provide such addresses (one for internal and
> one for external access point). When you run with debugging on (as
> shown above) and in the EWS account Properties-> Receiving Email tab
> click "Fetch URL", you'll see some XML data related to autodiscover.
> That's what the server advertises. Search for Exchange.asmx there. It
> can also depend whether you use NTLM or Basic authentication, I think.
>
> > (But I am connected to the same mailserver from my iphone but I am
> > using activesync on my phone so I guess that's why I do not have the
> > same issues there..)
>
> Right, those are two different protocols. I do not know whether you've
> them available on the same server (host name).
> Bye,
> Milan
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
>
> To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
>
>

Just popping in to say that after upgrading to version 3.32.4, all my old and current problems seems to have vanished... :-)

BTJ
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list