Email look ups ..

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Release: 19.3
Codename: tricia
Evolution:   3.38.2 (flatpak gitcf56856)

I run 4 different emails through Evolution.  2 gmail,  1 G-suite and 1 Office 365.  Of the 4, G-Suite is the only one that will not auto configure.

Attempting to auto config just results in an infinite hang.

Any thoughts?

Re: Email look ups ..

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 17:47 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
> Attempting to auto config just results in an infinite hang.

        Hi,
could you be more specific what you do, where and how, please? Also,
what do you mean by the "infinite hang", please?

There are two ways how to execute "autoconfig" and those are not
exactly the same, even they share some part of the code.

Re: Email look ups ..

On Fri, 2020-10-30 at 07:46 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-10-29 at 17:47 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
> list wrote:
> > Attempting to auto config just results in an infinite hang.
>
>         Hi,
> could you be more specific what you do, where and how, please? Also,
> what do you mean by the "infinite hang", please?

Fresh install of flatpak version of Evolution, the dialog comes up asking
to import Evolution backup or go into account configuration. Going into manual
configuration there is the option to allow Evolution to look up the correct
configuration options. So after entering a G-Suite email address, Evolution
tries to look up inbound and outbound servers.  At this point, Evolution
starts the lookup process, as indicated by a dialog screen with the Gnome foot
icon with the wiggling toes.

For me, it will sit in that state until I click the skip lookup button.  For
regular gmail accounts and office365 accounts, it comes back almost immediately
with the appropriate configurations for the service in question

> There are two ways how to execute "autoconfig" and those are not
> exactly the same, even they share some part of the code.
>         Bye,
>         Milan

Re: Email look ups ..

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-10-30 at 09:41 -0500, Japhering Anonymous via evolution-
list wrote:
> At this point, Evolution starts the lookup process, as indicated by a
> dialog screen with the Gnome foot icon with the wiggling toes

        Hi,
I guess it's waiting for a response from one of the servers. It may
take around 90 seconds before the request times out (for each of the
requests - see below). Which exact server does not respond I do not
know. You might be able to get to the information when running
evolution under gdb, but I doubt it's Evolution's fault (after all, the
other accounts work as expected), thus it doesn't worth it to sped time
on it.

If you'd like to try it, then I can give you some commands to do so.
Or, you can verify my hypothesis when you run these commands:

   $ wget https://autoconfig.DOMAIN/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&emailmd5=MD5
   $ wget http://autoconfig.DOMAIN/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&emailmd5=MD5
   $ wget https://DOMAIN/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&emailmd5=MD5
   $ wget http://DOMAIN/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&emailmd5=MD5

where the DOMAIN is the domain part of the email address you used for
the account (being it "[hidden email]", the domain is "example.com")
and the "MD5" is the checksum value of "echo [hidden email] | md5sum".
Keep the "EVOLUTIONUSER" as is.

Evolution tries each of these four addresses, in this order, until any
hits the result. If the server doesn't react in a timely fashion on any
of these addresses, then that's the time spent on the lookup.

Re: Email look ups ..

list wrote:
At this point, Evolution starts the lookup process, as indicated by a
dialog screen with the Gnome foot icon with the wiggling toes

Or, you can verify my hypothesis when you run these commands:

   $ wget <a href="https://autoconfig.DOMAIN/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&amp;emailmd5=MD5">https://autoconfig.DOMAIN/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&emailmd5=MD5

Resolving autoconfig.<domain> (autoconfig.<domain>)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘autoconfig.<domain>’

   $ wget <a href="http://autoconfig.DOMAIN/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&amp;emailmd5=MD5">http://autoconfig.DOMAIN/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&emailmd5=MD5

Resolving autoconfig.<domain> (autoconfig.<domain>)... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘autoconfig.<domain>’

   $ wget <a href="https://DOMAIN/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&amp;emailmd5=MD5">https://DOMAIN/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&emailmd5=MD5

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden

   $ wget <a href="http://DOMAIN/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&amp;emailmd5=MD5">http://DOMAIN/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml\?emailaddress=EVOLUTIONUSER%40DOMAIN\&emailmd5=MD5

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden

So it looks like my hosting company is not setup to allow autoconfiguration of email clients .. ugh.

Thanks for the testing links.

Mike

Re: Email look ups ..

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 12:01 -0600, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
> So it looks like my hosting company is not setup to allow
> autoconfiguration of email clients .. ugh.

        Hi,
it should not be a problem on its own, many do not have it. The thing
is that you should not get long delays during the autoconfig, as long
as the server responds in a timely way.

Re: Email look ups ..

On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 08:32 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-11-03 at 12:01 -0600, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
> list wrote:
> > So it looks like my hosting company is not setup to allow
> > autoconfiguration of email clients .. ugh.
>
>         Hi,
> it should not be a problem on its own, many do not have it. The thing
> is that you should not get long delays during the autoconfig, as long
> as the server responds in a timely way.

That's just it,  Evolution NEVER comes back. It will sit there waiting for a
response until I tell it to "skip lookup". I was trying last night on my
travel laptop, I started the lookup and ended up getting a customer call
which took an hour.  Came back to the laptop and it was still trying to
lookup the config.

Mike

Re: Email look ups ..

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 17:35 -0600, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
> which took an hour.  Came back to the laptop and it was still trying
> to lookup the config.

        Hi,
there are done things asynchronously, thus they might not necessarily
be shown in the backtrace, but could you try to get it once Evolution
is waiting for the response, please? Err, you use the Flatpak version,
it's significantly harder to get the backtrace there. Never mind then,
who knows whether it would show anything.

Re: Email look ups ..

Ángel González
On 2020-11-05 at 10:27 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> Hi,
> there are done things asynchronously, thus they might not necessarily
> be shown in the backtrace, but could you try to get it once Evolution
> is waiting for the response, please? Err, you use the Flatpak
> version,
> it's significantly harder to get the backtrace there. Never mind
> then,
> who knows whether it would show anything.

gdb is too low-level IMHO for this.

Opening a sniffer like wireshark should let you view the checks that
are being done and if there is a request with no reply. Even if it's a
https one.

Assuming there's practically no other network traffic when you check
this.

Re: Email look ups ..

On Fri, 2020-11-06 at 02:23 +0100, Ángel wrote:
> gdb is too low-level IMHO for this.

        Hi,
if some part of the code is stuck on a response, not in an async call,
or when it received a response, but locked somewhere itself, then the
gdb's backtrace can show the exact place in the code, which was my
point. Wireshark cannot do that.

Japhering, would you mind to send me _privately_ the server domain you
configure Evolution with, please? I can give it a try here. I'll use
[hidden email], because the 'user' part doesn't matter, for this
lookup. Unless you are on a VPN, or your location plays a role in the
host name resolution or anything like that, I might be eventually able
to reproduce it too.