Email window does not close on deleting mail

Tom

Email window does not close on deleting mail

Tom
Hello to all people on the list,

after having been away for years from the linux world, I'm back to
evolution as well as to linux :-)
But the new version (3.36.3-0ubuntu1 here) seems to work other than I
remember ?! I'm kinda sure, that my mail windows closed on some actions
(like delete, forward or answer) automatically and the next window was
the inbox again ??!
But as of now, e.g. mail window does not close on deleting mail.

Would it be possible to get this feature back, or with options as shown
below ?

After moving or deleting an open item:

- Open the Previous item
- Open the next item
- Return to Inbox (PREFERRED)

Best,
Thomas

Re: Email window does not close on deleting mail

On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 16:20 +0200, Tom wrote:
> But as of now, e.g. mail window does not close on deleting mail.

Feel free to install dconf-editor and then set
"org.gnome.evolution.mail browser-close-on-delete-or-junk" to "true".

Re: Email window does not close on deleting mail

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 20:27 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 16:20 +0200, Tom wrote:
> > But as of now, e.g. mail window does not close on deleting mail.
>
> Feel free to install dconf-editor and then set
> "org.gnome.evolution.mail browser-close-on-delete-or-junk" to "true".

Hi,

if you should in favour of command line and/or you should dislike to
install something, from command line use the dconf command or the
gsettings command, e.g. run

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.mail browser-close-on-delete-or-junk
false
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail browser-close-on-delete-or-junk true
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.mail browser-close-on-delete-or-junk
true

gsettings is part of glib2 which already must be installed and dconf
must also already be installed

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pactree evolution | grep glib2 | head -1
│ │ ├─glib2
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pactree evolution | grep dconf | head -1
│ │ ├─dconf

so no need to install dconf-editor and to struggle with the editor it.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Email window does not close on deleting mail

aguador
El dom, 05-07-2020 a las 20:54 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via evolution-list
escribió:

> On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 20:27 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> > On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 16:20 +0200, Tom wrote:
> > > But as of now, e.g. mail window does not close on deleting mail.
> >
> if you should in favour of command line and/or you should dislike to
> install something, from command line use the dconf command or the
> gsettings command, e.g. run
>
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.mail
> browser-close-on-delete-or-junk
> false
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gsettings set org.gnome.evolution.mail
> browser-close-on-delete-or-junk true
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gsettings get org.gnome.evolution.mail
> browser-close-on-delete-or-junk
> true
>
> gsettings is part of glib2 which already must be installed and dconf
> must also already be installed

Many thanks, Ralf, done! That's an annoying behavior I have been too
lazy to fix before.

Best,
Roy

Tom

Am Sonntag, den 05.07.2020, 20:27 +0200 schrieb Andre Klapper:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2020-07-05 at 16:20 +0200, Tom wrote:
> > But as of now, e.g. mail window does not close on deleting mail.
>
> Feel free to install dconf-editor and then set
> "org.gnome.evolution.mail browser-close-on-delete-or-junk" to "true".
>
> Cheers,
> andre

Thank you Andre,
now it closes on these actions :-)
Another (new?) behaviour I just see is opening the mail window in full
size always. Can I get a predefined size for the mail window ?

Can we discuss it as follow-up or should I open a new thread ?

On Tue, 2020-07-07 at 21:05 +0200, Tom wrote:
> Another (new?) behaviour I just see is opening the mail window in
> full size always. Can I get a predefined size for the mail window ?

        Hi,
the new mail window (aka the message composer) remembers its size and
restores it the next time you open it. I just tested it and it works
properly here, even the maximized/unmaximized state is properly saved,
thus unless something failed when saving/loading the window size/state
it should work for you too. You can try to run evolution from a
terminal, maybe it'll show some related error messages there (like
failures to save the state or to load it).

> Can we discuss it as follow-up or should I open a new thread ?

Yeah, it's better to not mix unrelated things, but, well, it's already
here. Splitting in this stage doesn't make much sense.

Tom

Re: Email window does not close on deleting mail

Tom
(...)
> the new mail window (aka the message composer) remembers its size and
> restores it the next time you open it. I just tested it and it works
> properly here, even the maximized/unmaximized state is properly
> saved,
> thus unless something failed when saving/loading the window
> size/state
> it should work for you too.

I remebered so and I expected so - but not any window remembers its
size, not even a terminal window :-(

> You can try to run evolution from a
> terminal, maybe it'll show some related error messages there (like
> failures to save the state or to load it).

No output from Evolution :-(
So, it seems to be a problem with the window manager !??

On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 19:02 +0200, Tom wrote:
> So, it seems to be a problem with the window manager !??

        Hi,
maybe, I do not know. You can run this from a terminal:

   $ gsettings monitor org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/mail/composer-window/

which will show changes of the composer window size and maximize state.
You can verify with it that the changes are saved. I guess they change
when you open a new composer window, which may probably mean that the
window manager did not accept the saved change. Note the window
currently (3.36.0+) always opens in the center of the screen [1].

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/800

Tom

Re: Email window does not close on deleting mail

Tom
Am Montag, den 13.07.2020, 09:49 +0200 schrieb Milan Crha via
evolution-list:
> On Fri, 2020-07-10 at 19:02 +0200, Tom wrote:
> > So, it seems to be a problem with the window manager !??

Even if it is not of general interest (only for MATE users): It was
actually a problem with MATE. You have to tweak MATE so that new
windows are NOT opened maximized ?-|

> Hi,
> maybe, I do not know. You can run this from a terminal:
>
>    $ gsettings monitor
> org.gnome.evolution.window:/org/gnome/evolution/mail/composer-window/

I tried it, because it sounded interesting - but produced no output for
me (on the terminal window) ?