Emails marked as read that I never viewed

Emails marked as read that I never viewed

Robert McDonald
3.36.4-0ubuntu1

Around once a day, a minute or so after receiving a set of emails,
Evolution will mark some of those emails as read (entry in email list
no longer in boldface) without me ever viewing them.  If I choose a
different email account in the accounts list, and wait until the Saving
message shows in the status bar, then choose the original email account
again, Evolution will update those emails to the correct state of
unread and show their entries in the email list as boldface.

Eventually (I believe when Evolution rereads the server associated with
the email account), Evolution will correct itself and again show those
emails it had mistakenly marked as read, as being unread.

If I view and then delete one of these unread emails that are presented
as read, the Trash folder will eventually show the email as unread.

I've noticed this behavior for years; now that I'm on this list, I'm
reporting it.  Known behavior?  Any workaround?

--
Robert McDonald

Re: Emails marked as read that I never viewed

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Wed, 2020-12-16 at 11:32 -0800, Robert McDonald wrote:

> 3.36.4-0ubuntu1
>
> Around once a day, a minute or so after receiving a set of emails,
> Evolution will mark some of those emails as read (entry in email list
> no longer in boldface) without me ever viewing them.  If I choose a
> different email account in the accounts list, and wait until the Saving
> message shows in the status bar, then choose the original email account
> again, Evolution will update those emails to the correct state of
> unread and show their entries in the email list as boldface.
>
> Eventually (I believe when Evolution rereads the server associated with
> the email account), Evolution will correct itself and again show those
> emails it had mistakenly marked as read, as being unread.
>
> If I view and then delete one of these unread emails that are presented
> as read, the Trash folder will eventually show the email as unread.
>
> I've noticed this behavior for years; now that I'm on this list, I'm
> reporting it.  Known behavior?  Any workaround?

I'm going to assume this an IMAP account. If not, please clarify.

IIRC in the past people who have reported this kind of thing have
generally found that some other mail client is accessing their account,
e.g. from a phone, mail checking widget or similar. When Evolution
marks something as "Read", it's simply reporting what the IMAP server
is telling it.

Re: Emails marked as read that I never viewed

Adam Tauno Williams
> > Around once a day, a minute or so after receiving a set of emails,
> > Evolution will mark some of those emails as read (entry in email
> > list
> > no longer in boldface) without me ever viewing them.  If I choose a
> > different email account in the accounts list, and wait until the
> > Saving
> IIRC in the past people who have reported this kind of thing have
> generally found that some other mail client is accessing their
> account,

Agree, likely something else is marking them as read.  Evolution is
only doing/displaying as it is told.

> e.g. from a phone, mail checking widget or similar. When Evolution
> marks something as "Read", it's simply reporting what the IMAP server
> is telling it.

There is also the /org/gnome/evolution/mail/mark-seen &
/org/gnome/evolution/mail/mark-seen-timeout and
/org/gnome/evolution/mail/mark-seen-always settings available via donf-
editor [use the 'registry' editor at your own risk - all default
disclaimers apply].

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:[hidden email]> GPG D95ED383
OpenGroupware Developer <http://www.opengroupware.us/>

On Thu, 2020-12-17 at 12:23 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I'm going to assume this an IMAP account. If not, please clarify.

Yes, IMAP.

> IIRC in the past people who have reported this kind of thing have
> generally found that some other mail client is accessing their
> account,
> e.g. from a phone, mail checking widget or similar. When Evolution
> marks something as "Read", it's simply reporting what the IMAP server
> is telling it.

This is the only client I use to access this email account, with the
following exceptions:
 * temporary use (for an hour or two) of domain host's webmail client
   when I had problems with out-of-sync headers so I could delete
   obsolete emails (haven't done this in a while since I resync'd this
   account's email on this client)
 * temporary use of domain host's webmail client on a laptop when I am
   traveling (haven't traveled in awhile)
I'm not accessing this account from my phone or tablet.

The domain host runs SpamAssassin on incoming email, and I thought that
would occur before putting emails in either the graymail or inbox
folder for that account.

If some other client is accessing the email in that account, I would
expect that the email would stay marked as read, and not revert to
being marked as unread upon refreshing status.

I'll try changing the password on the account and see if that stops
this behavior.

--
Robert McDonald

Re: Emails marked as read that I never viewed

On Wed, 2020-12-16 at 11:32 -0800, Robert McDonald wrote:
> Evolution will mark some of those emails as read (entry in email list
> no longer in boldface) without me ever viewing them.

        Hi,
I think I saw it from time to time, but I've never been able to
reproduce it on will (which would help to narrow the reason and
eventually fix the bug).

On Mon, 2021-01-04 at 11:50 +0100, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-12-16 at 11:32 -0800, Robert McDonald wrote:
> > Evolution will mark some of those emails as read (entry in email
> > list
> > no longer in boldface) without me ever viewing them.
>
> I think I saw it from time to time, but I've never been able to
> reproduce it on will (which would help to narrow the reason and
> eventually fix the bug).

I had changed my password for that account soon after the time I
emailed the list about this, and since then had not seen this behavior,
so wondered if changing password had an effect.  However, while I was
looking at a large number of emails from this list this morning, I saw
one unread email's listing go from boldface to normal weight, then
restore to boldface after a refresh from the server, without me viewing
that email during that time.

--
Robert McDonald