Emojis/icons in subject line

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Emojis/icons in subject line

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
(LM 20.1, Evolution 3.36.4)

I used to get pictures of icons/emojis in the subject lines of certain
emails, but now all I'm getting are weird boxes with numbers in them.
Here's an example:

­čôŽ (this is displaying as an outlined box with '0 1 F' on the top line, '4
E 6' on the bottom)

Is this part of a font that I may not have? I recently switched all of my
default fonts to Bitstream Vera Sans/Mono, removed all of the Noto fonts.
I checked this symbol with Character Map, and it's showing this box as
part of the Common script.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Emojis/icons in subject line

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2021-01-15 at 18:33 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list
wrote:

> (LM 20.1, Evolution 3.36.4)
>
> I used to get pictures of icons/emojis in the subject lines of certain
> emails, but now all I'm getting are weird boxes with numbers in them.
> Here's an example:
>
> ­čôŽ (this is displaying as an outlined box with '0 1 F' on the top line,
> '4
> E 6' on the bottom)
>
> Is this part of a font that I may not have? I recently switched all of
> my
> default fonts to Bitstream Vera Sans/Mono, removed all of the Noto
> fonts.
> I checked this symbol with Character Map, and it's showing this box as
> part of the Common script.
> _______________________________________________

OK, it's working now. I installed fonts-symbola, ttf-ancient-fonts-
symbola, fonts-opensymbol, and fonts-emojione. The only remaining question
is why did this work before? I've never had any of these fonts installed.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Emojis/icons in subject line

Ángel González
On 2021-01-15 at 18:45 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list wrote:
> OK, it's working now. I installed fonts-symbola, ttf-ancient-fonts-
> symbola, fonts-opensymbol, and fonts-emojione. The only remaining
> question is why did this work before? I've never had any of these
> fonts installed.

You had another font that provided a glyph for this character (one of
the Noto fonts you removed, probably).


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Emojis/icons in subject line

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2021-01-16 at 01:13 +0100, Ángel wrote:
> On 2021-01-15 at 18:45 +0000, Douglas Summers via evolution-list wrote:
> > OK, it's working now. I installed fonts-symbola, ttf-ancient-fonts-
> > symbola, fonts-opensymbol, and fonts-emojione. The only remaining
> > question is why did this work before? I've never had any of these
> > fonts installed.
>
> You had another font that provided a glyph for this character (one of
> the Noto fonts you removed, probably).
>
Guess I was a little too reckless in my purging of fonts.
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list