Emoticons appear in email subject line

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi All,
I haven't found anyone else having this problem but I have Evolution
installed on Mint to replace Thunderbird. Everything is going really
well so far, but there is one problem:

Emoticons in the subject are not displaying, neither in the folder list
nor in the window header when the email is open.

This isn't happening in Thunderbird (so I know they're existing
emoticons) but I searched around the settings and the internet and
can't find any fix.

This is Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 and Linux Mint 19.

Thanks
Adam

Re: Emoticons appear in email subject line

On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 20:07 +0100, Adam Hardy via evolution-list wrote:
> Emoticons in the subject are not displaying, neither in the folder
> list nor in the window header when the email is open.

        Hi,
I suppose you mean the message list with the former and the message
preview with the later, right? The message list drawing is done by
gtk3/pango/cairo, the message preview is done by WebKitGTK+. The
WebKitGTK+ used to have problem to show emoji icons properly, they've
been black&white only, but it had been fixed some time ago. There are
bugs filled about that.

> This isn't happening in Thunderbird (so I know they're existing
> emoticons) but I searched around the settings and the internet and
> can't find any fix.

Well, Thunderbird is a standalone application, while Evolution depends
on other system libraries (not only for drawing). I do not know
Thunderbird's drawing "engine" (it used to be gecko some time ago), but
it's surely much simpler to get newer Thunderbird than to get whole new
stack of libraries with Evolution.

> This is Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 and Linux Mint 19.

Okay, so that's two years old software. Not much surprise it doesn't
know the emojis. Even the latest WebKitGTK+ doesn't draw the new
"composite" emoji icons properly.

If you've free time, disk space and bandwidth, I'd suggest to try the
latest Evolution (3.36.1, with the updated dependencies) from
Flathub.org. I believe it'll work properly, or at least better (+/-
"composite" emojis) there. Note it's only for testing, the Flatpak
version has its limitations, as it's an isolated sandbox, thus it may
or may not work well for you.

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 08:04 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 20:07 +0100, Adam Hardy via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > This is Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 and Linux Mint 19.
>
> Okay, so that's two years old software. Not much surprise it doesn't
> know the emojis. Even the latest WebKitGTK+ doesn't draw the new
> "composite" emoji icons properly.
>
> If you've free time, disk space and bandwidth, I'd suggest to try the
> latest Evolution (3.36.1, with the updated dependencies) from
> Flathub.org. I believe it'll work properly, or at least better (+/-
> "composite" emojis) there. Note it's only for testing, the Flatpak
> version has its limitations, as it's an isolated sandbox, thus it may
> or may not work well for you.

Ah OK. Looks like Linux Mint 19 is quite a long way behind the curve
then. I'm new to Linux Mint as well and I want to see if it's easy to
configure it to get newer versions of something like Evolution. It
might only be possible to upgrade the whole distro but I'm hoping it's
a bit more flexible.

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 12:10 +0100, Adam Hardy via evolution-list wrote:

> This is Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 and Linux Mint 19.
> >
> > Okay, so that's two years old software. Not much surprise it
> > doesn't
> > know the emojis. Even the latest WebKitGTK+ doesn't draw the new
> > "composite" emoji icons properly.
> >
> > If you've free time, disk space and bandwidth, I'd suggest to try
> > the
> > latest Evolution (3.36.1, with the updated dependencies) from
> > Flathub.org. I believe it'll work properly, or at least better (+/-
> > "composite" emojis) there. Note it's only for testing, the Flatpak
> > version has its limitations, as it's an isolated sandbox, thus it
> > may
> > or may not work well for you.
>
> Ah OK. Looks like Linux Mint 19 is quite a long way behind the curve
> then. I'm new to Linux Mint as well and I want to see if it's easy to
> configure it to get newer versions of something like Evolution. It
> might only be possible to upgrade the whole distro but I'm hoping
> it's
> a bit more flexible.

Johannes talked about system fonts in another email.

My evolution is set to use UTF-8 already, the system is set to en_uk
UTF-8, and in my window manager settings, Liberation Sans Bold is set.
I assume all the fonts are UTF-8 based but none of them can display the
emoticons. I get the non-displayed emoticons appearing in the Message
Preview window when I open the email in its own window, so I guess that
points to a general problem with Linux Mint.

Annoyingly I can't find the system font which Evolution uses in the
main app window for the message list and message preview.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll have to take this problem to Linux
Mint.

Thanks for the info.

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 13:48 +0100, Adam Hardy via evolution-list wrote:
> I get the non-displayed emoticons appearing in the Message
> Preview window when I open the email in its own window,

        Hi,
the content of that window, not its title bar, is drawn by WebKitGTK+.

> Annoyingly I can't find the system font which Evolution uses in the
> main app window for the message list and message preview.

It uses system font, unless said otherwise, in Edit->Preferences->
Mail Preferences->General tab->Message Display section. That influences
the fonts for the message preview.

Apart of the Flatpak offer, you can try to copy the text with Emoji
from the message preview to some other application, I do not know, say
gedit or some such simple text editor, to see whether it can show it or
not.

It can be that you do not have installed proper fonts, but in case of
the message preview itself it's more likely to be about WebKitGTK+
version, where, as I said earlier, was a bug of not showing at least
common Emoji-s properly (in black&white), or not dealing with
"composite" Emoji-s (which can be still there, even in the latest
stable version of WebKitGTK+, but I cannot tell for sure).