Enabling Evolution RSS Reader Plugin

Mason Hock
Hi,

I am running Evolution 3.10.4 on Trisquel 7.0. I have downloaded
Evolution RSS Reader Plugin by installing evolution-rss from the
Trisquel repository. The plugin in now shows up in Evolution under
plugins, but clicking on it does not toggle between enabled and disabled
like it does for other plugins. Why might this be, and how can I enable
this plugin?

Thanks!

Mason

Re: Enabling Evolution RSS Reader Plugin

Milan Crha
On Mon, 2017-07-24 at 12:09 -0700, Mason Hock wrote:
> The plugin in now shows up in Evolution under
> plugins, but clicking on it does not toggle between enabled and
> disabled like it does for other plugins. Why might this be, and how
> can I enable this plugin?

        Hi,
run evolution from a terminal, if there is anything wrong about it,
then it is likely it'll be shown there. The RSS settings are in
Edit->Preferences, where a new section is added for the feeds settings.

Re: Enabling Evolution RSS Reader Plugin

Mason Hock
Thanks for your response. Running from the terminal, I get

libebackend-WARNING **:
module_load: /usr/lib/evolution/3.10/modules/evolution-module-rss.so:undefined symbol: em_folder_tree_set_selected
Failed to load
module: /usr/lib/evolution/3.10/modules/evolution-module-rss.so

The only mention of this message I could find online did not contain a
solution.
http://debian.2.n7.nabble.com/Bug-726527-evolution-rss-not-loading-td3394075.html

Any ideas as to how I could resolve this?

Thanks,

Mason

On Tue, 2017-07-25 at 16:26 -0700, Mason Hock wrote:
> Any ideas as to how I could resolve this?

        Hi,
it's required to rebuild evolution-rss against the evolution you've
installed. It's not that hard, because evolution-rss is pretty
lightweight, but as regular users do not compile usually, then it can
be a challenge [1]. Maybe ask the package maintainer of evolution-rss
in your distribution to rebuild it.

[1] it might be enough to install development  packages for evolution,
which also brings development packages for evolution-data-server and
many other, then get sources of the evolution-rss, ideally the same as
your package uses [2], then build it with something like:
   $ ./configure --prefix=/usr
   $ make
   $ sudo make install

If successful, then run evolution and it should be fine.

[2] the git checkout contains conditional compile for several old
versions, but I'm not sure whether it'll work with that old version of
evolution. The command to get the latest sources is:
   $ git clone git://git.gnome.org/evolution-rss