Error Downloading new messages for offline mode: Cannot get message with ID 4485. No such message

Error Downloading new messages for offline mode: Cannot get message with ID 4485. No such message

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
I deleted an email at some point a couple months ago and since then I get this error message. Is there a way to resolve this?
--

Barry

Re: Error Downloading new messages for offline mode: Cannot get message with ID 4485. No such message

On Wed, 2020-09-02 at 09:04 -0500, BC via evolution-list wrote:
> I deleted an email at some point a couple months ago and since then I
> get this error message. Is there a way to resolve this?

        Hi,
it sounds known/familiar, maybe it's fixed in more recent version (it
seems you've 3.30.5, which is rather ancient, there will be released
3.38.0 in two weeks).

One way to force refresh of your IMAP account is to close evolution and
delete corresponding ~/.cache/evolution/mail/<account-uid>/, though the
down side is that it downloads all the information about the account
again, which can take bandwidth and time when the account is large.

Also, if you use QuickResync, then I suggest to disable it in the
account Properties->Receiving Options tab. It has some issues.

Re: Error Downloading new messages for offline mode: Cannot get message with ID 4485. No such message

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Ok, not using QuickResync.

This is a brand new install of Evolution, that has been restored (partially so far). Still need to delete the <account-uid>?
--

Barry

On Wed, 2020-09-02 at 09:34 -0500, BC via evolution-list wrote:
> This is a brand new install of Evolution, that has been restored
> (partially so far). Still need to delete the <account-uid>?

        Hi,
in that case it looks like the server is reporting a message, which
doesn't exist on the server. You might ask the server admins to
investigate it.

Re: Error Downloading new messages for offline mode: Cannot get message with ID 4485. No such message

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Will do and report back if it is otherwise.

Thanks for the help.
--

Barry

[...]

----------

OK, I had my email provider reset my account.  That didn't work.  I deleted the
account-uid and it created new ones and that didn't work.  I'm using MX linux.
I looked for an updated version of Evolution in package manager and didn't
find one.

Any other suggestions of how to rid myself of this nuisance error?
--

Barry

Re: Error Downloading new messages for offline mode: Cannot get message with ID 4485. No such message

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Tue, 2020-09-22 at 23:18 -0500, BC via evolution-list wrote:

your reply style is very confusing. Just saying.

> OK, I had my email provider reset my account. That didn't work.

I do not know what that means on their side, hopefully nothing
destructive.

> I deleted the account-uid and it created new ones and that didn't
> work.  I'm using MX linux.  I looked for an updated version of
> Evolution in package manager and didn't find one.

Right, not every distribution provides up-to-date versions of the
applications. It's sometimes for good, sometimes not.

> Any other suggestions of how to rid myself of this nuisance error?

The only thing I can think of to suggest is to give a try to a newer
version provided by other means than your package manager. The Flatpak
version comes on mind. It has its limitations (search this archive),
but it also gives you a chance to test/use the latest stable version
without influencing your system (because it runs in a sandbox). I
suggest to use the Flathub [1] version. Here [2] is how to setup
Flatpak.

Alternatively, you can build the Flatpak version yourself [3].

[1] https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnome.Evolution
[2] https://flatpak.org/setup/
[3] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak