Error message when selecting the checkbox for a Calendar on the computer - "Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying"

Error message when selecting the checkbox for a Calendar on the computer - "Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying"

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list

Evolution version 3.38.1

Evolution being run on Linux Distro Elementary OS 5.1.7 Hera, Built on
Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS, Linux 5.4.0-53-generic, GTK 3.22.30.

All software updates current.

The Issue:

When accessing Calendars in Evolution, the default calendar "Personal"
is unchecked. Checking on the Personal Calendar (default calendar), the
following error message is generated:

"Failed to open calendar 'On This Computer : Personal'

Unable to connect to 'Personal': Message recipient disconnected from
message bus without replying"

Steps to troubleshoot:

 - Uninstalled and then reinstalled Evolution; issue persists

 - tested in new user; issue is not present (i.e., user-specific)

 - In affected user, created a test Calendar and added an event
successfully; quit Evolution, restarted Evolution; test calendar
functions normally and is checked on by default (but not set as the
default calendar).  Test event is availabe.

 - With test calendar functioning normally, check on the Personal
calendar; the following error messages are generated whin this action
is performed:

"The calendar backend servicing 'testcalendar' has quit unexpectedly.

Some of your appointments may not be available until Evolution is
restarted."

"Failed to open calendar 'On This Computer : Personal'

Unable to connect to 'Personal': Message recipient disconnected from
message bus without replying"

If the test calendar is unchecked then rechecked, the following error
messages are created:

"Error creating view for the calendar 'testcalendar'

No such interface 'org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Calendar' on object
at path /org/gnome/evolution/dataserver/Subprocess/2/2"

"The calendar backend servicing 'testcalendar' has quit unexpectedly.

Some of your appointments may not be available until Evolution is
restarted."

 - Restarting Evolution resolves the issue with the test calendar per
the error message instructions, until the Personal Calendar is checked
again; then the above issues with both the test calendar and the
personal calendar appear again.

If the resolution to this issue is to delete the personal calendar, I'd
like to restore the personal calendar data from backup.  However, I am
unaware of where the data for the personal calendar is stored; I found
the following:

https://www.systutorials.com/evolution-save-data-configure-files-linux/
- "Where Does Evolution Save Its Data and Configuration Files on
Linux?"

From the above:

"Evolution stores the user’s data files such as contacts and calendars
under the data files dir

$HOME/.local/share/evolution/

Under the data files dir, you may find directories like calendar,
addressbook and tasks."

I checked this location, and was unable to locate anything related to
the Personal Calendar.  Therefore, I do not know what data to look for
to restore.

If the resolution is something else, I look forward to guidance.

Assistance in resolving ths issue is appreciated.

Re: Error message when selecting the checkbox for a Calendar on the computer - "Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying"

On Mon, 2020-11-16 at 17:08 -0700, KS via evolution-list wrote:
> "The calendar backend servicing 'testcalendar' has quit unexpectedly.

        Hi,
it means the evolution-calendar-factory process crashed for some
reason. It can be the On This Computer/Personal calendar content is
broken in some way. Having a backtrace of the crash will help to
identify the cause. Install debuginfo (dbg) packages for libical,
libical-glib, glib2 and evolution-data-server. I think Ubuntu splits
them into subpackages, which makes it harder to install. Say it would
be for libedataserver, libedata-cal, libecal and some such. How the
others are named I do not know, I do not use Ubuntu. Once you've them
installed run the factory under gdb like this:

   $ gdb /usr/libexec/evolution-calendar-factory -w

The actual path can differ in your distribution. After that wait for
few seconds, thus the D-Bus has time to register the interface and all
those things, then run Evolution and reproduce the crash. The gdb
should stop the execution, after which you can run:

   (gdb) bt

which will print the backtrace. Then you can quit the session with:

   (gdb) q

Please check the backtrace for any private information, like passwords,
email address, server addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at
least (quotes for clarity only).

> https://www.systutorials.com/evolution-save-data-configure-files-linux/
> - "Where Does Evolution Save Its Data and Configuration Files on
> Linux?"

The official user documentation contains the information here:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/data-storage.html

The On This Computer/Personal calendar is stored at:

   ~/.local/share/evolution/calendar/system/

It contains a calendar.ics file with your events. The other files
reference related attachments for respective events, if any. You can
move away the file, then the calendar factory will create it (as an
empty file) on demand. You can extract the events from there with an
external tool, or you can try File->Import->Single file->... it from
Evolution, though if it's broken in some way the 'evolution' process
will crash in the same way the calendar factory crashes.

By the way, what is your tzdata (or tzdb) version, please? I think of:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/267

Re: Error message when selecting the checkbox for a Calendar on the computer - "Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying"

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Greetings,

Thank you for your response.

Various and sundry software updates became available last night, and
after applying them - the issue is resolved.

As it is resolved and I can no longer replicate it, debugging it at
this time would be ineffective.

I've availed myself of File>Back Up Evolution Data to make restoration
easier.

If the issue crops up again, I'll submit a different email.

Many thanks again for the swift response.

Regards,

KS