Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Pete Biggs
Hi -

Just upgraded to Fedora 33 and so have 3.38.1 and this is really a "is
it me or you" type question.

When composing an email the composer will stop responding for a second
or two every now and then.  It manifests it self as being laggy when
typing, so a character doesn't appear immediately. Not really a
problem, but I almost always press the delayed key again so I get
double characters when it catches up.  It's just annoying.

Does anyone else see this? My system is not overloaded, there's nothing
taking lots of CPU or IO.  However evolution and various WebKit
processes are each taking about 80-100Gb of virtual memory. Is this
normal? (Resident memory is within normal ranges.)

P.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Zan Lynx
On 11/17/20 8:51 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
> Does anyone else see this? My system is not overloaded, there's nothing
> taking lots of CPU or IO.  However evolution and various WebKit
> processes are each taking about 80-100Gb of virtual memory. Is this
> normal? (Resident memory is within normal ranges.)

Yes I've seen Evolution do that lag thing many times. Whatever goes on
inside the HTML composer is not well done.

The virtual memory use is part of WebKit and is called Gigacages. It
allocates huge zones of memory around compiled Javascript so that even
if some bug allowed direct memory accesses, it isn't mathematically
possible for it to reach sensitive data.

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 09:00 -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
> On 11/17/20 8:51 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > Does anyone else see this? My system is not overloaded, there's nothing
> > taking lots of CPU or IO.  However evolution and various WebKit
> > processes are each taking about 80-100Gb of virtual memory. Is this
> > normal? (Resident memory is within normal ranges.)
>
> Yes I've seen Evolution do that lag thing many times. Whatever goes on
> inside the HTML composer is not well done.

So it's not me going mad! But this is plain text composing and I've
only noticed it since upgrading to F33 and 3.38.1

>
> The virtual memory use is part of WebKit and is called Gigacages. It
> allocates huge zones of memory around compiled Javascript so that even
> if some bug allowed direct memory accesses, it isn't mathematically
> possible for it to reach sensitive data.
>
Err, OK. It just looks odd when I have 5 or 6 processes all taking
nearly 100Gb of virtual memory:

    PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                                    
  81695 pete      20   0   99.1g 111556  90300 S   0.3   0.7   0:05.12 WebKitWebProces                                                                            
  77144 pete      20   0   98.0g  45280  38444 S   0.0   0.3   0:00.16 WebKitNetworkPr                                                                            
  81694 pete      20   0   98.0g  44680  37912 S   0.0   0.3   0:00.06 WebKitNetworkPr                                                                            
  77146 pete      20   0   85.4g 126724  95132 S   0.0   0.8   0:31.77 WebKitWebProces                                                                            
  77101 pete      20   0   84.1g 436828 128640 S   6.0   2.7   2:21.81 evolution                

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 15:51 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Just upgraded to Fedora 33 and so have 3.38.1 and this is really a "is
> it me or you" type question.
>
> When composing an email the composer will stop responding for a second
> or two every now and then.  It manifests it self as being laggy when
> typing, so a character doesn't appear immediately. Not really a
> problem, but I almost always press the delayed key again so I get
> double characters when it catches up.  It's just annoying.
>
> Does anyone else see this? My system is not overloaded, there's nothing
> taking lots of CPU or IO.  However evolution and various WebKit
> processes are each taking about 80-100Gb of virtual memory. Is this
> normal? (Resident memory is within normal ranges.)

Using F33 with KDE here. I haven't seen this, but I never compose mail
in HTML so maybe there's a connection. In the past, lagginess has
sometimes been associated with Evo looking up online contact info when
filling in addresses.

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Pete Biggs
>
> Using F33 with KDE here. I haven't seen this, but I never compose mail
> in HTML so maybe there's a connection. In the past, lagginess has
> sometimes been associated with Evo looking up online contact info when
> filling in addresses.

I'm not one for using HTML either (unless I REALLY have to). It's only
in the composer that I'm seeing it. I suspect that WebKit is doing
something in the background, and I wish it would stop it.

P.



_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Patrick O'Callaghan
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 16:09 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 09:00 -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
> > On 11/17/20 8:51 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > Does anyone else see this? My system is not overloaded, there's nothing
> > > taking lots of CPU or IO.  However evolution and various WebKit
> > > processes are each taking about 80-100Gb of virtual memory. Is this
> > > normal? (Resident memory is within normal ranges.)
> >
> > Yes I've seen Evolution do that lag thing many times. Whatever goes on
> > inside the HTML composer is not well done.
>
> So it's not me going mad! But this is plain text composing and I've
> only noticed it since upgrading to F33 and 3.38.1
>
> >
> > The virtual memory use is part of WebKit and is called Gigacages. It
> > allocates huge zones of memory around compiled Javascript so that even
> > if some bug allowed direct memory accesses, it isn't mathematically
> > possible for it to reach sensitive data.
> >
> Err, OK. It just looks odd when I have 5 or 6 processes all taking
> nearly 100Gb of virtual memory:
>
>     PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                                    
>   81695 pete      20   0   99.1g 111556  90300 S   0.3   0.7   0:05.12 WebKitWebProces                                                                            
>   77144 pete      20   0   98.0g  45280  38444 S   0.0   0.3   0:00.16 WebKitNetworkPr                                                                            
>   81694 pete      20   0   98.0g  44680  37912 S   0.0   0.3   0:00.06 WebKitNetworkPr                                                                            
>   77146 pete      20   0   85.4g 126724  95132 S   0.0   0.8   0:31.77 WebKitWebProces                                                                            
>   77101 pete      20   0   84.1g 436828 128640 S   6.0   2.7   2:21.81 evolution                

Here's a screenshot of my system:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_ryubFSGMiORDiwf2LmNc8MARAsI3HPA/view?usp=sharing

poc

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 15:51 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> When composing an email the composer will stop responding for a
> second
> or two every now and then.  It manifests it self as being laggy when
> typing, so a character doesn't appear immediately.

Maybe also see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1221

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 20:22 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 15:51 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > When composing an email the composer will stop responding for a
> > second
> > or two every now and then.  It manifests it self as being laggy when
> > typing, so a character doesn't appear immediately.
>
> Maybe also see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1221
>

That certainly seems to describe the issue. Hopefully it can be
resolved soon.

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 17:09 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> Err, OK. It just looks odd when I have 5 or 6 processes all taking
> nearly 100Gb of virtual memory

        Hi,
you can disable it with:

   $ GIGACAGE_ENABLED=0 evolution

I do not know whether the gigacage has any meaning for Evolution,
because Evolution has disabled execution of the "remote" (in a meaning
as "received in the email") JavaScript code. Evolution runs its own
JavaScript code only.
        Bye,
        Milan

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Pete Biggs
In reply to this post by Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 22:37 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 20:22 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 15:51 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > When composing an email the composer will stop responding for a
> > > second
> > > or two every now and then.  It manifests it self as being laggy when
> > > typing, so a character doesn't appear immediately.
> >
> > Maybe also see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1221
> >
>
> That certainly seems to describe the issue. Hopefully it can be
> resolved soon.
>
The last round of updates I installed on Fedora 33 included an update
to webkit2gtk3-2.30.3.-1 - the pausing has now gone away. I presume
that update did it, does that sound likely.

My desire to throw a keyboard at the monitor has been reduced a couple
of notches ...

P.


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Evo 3.38.1 composer pauses

Pete Biggs
On Tue, 2020-12-01 at 11:17 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 22:37 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 20:22 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list
> > wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2020-11-17 at 15:51 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > > When composing an email the composer will stop responding for a
> > > > second
> > > > or two every now and then.  It manifests it self as being laggy when
> > > > typing, so a character doesn't appear immediately.
> > >
> > > Maybe also see https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/1221
> > >
> >
> > That certainly seems to describe the issue. Hopefully it can be
> > resolved soon.
> >
> The last round of updates I installed on Fedora 33 included an update
> to webkit2gtk3-2.30.3.-1 - the pausing has now gone away. I presume
> that update did it, does that sound likely.
>
> My desire to throw a keyboard at the monitor has been reduced a couple
> of notches ...
>
I spoke too soon.  It went back to pausing every few characters. As
suggested in the bug report I stopped using the proprietary Nvidia
drivers and reverted to nouveau and that really does seem to have fixed
it, we shall see.

P.
 

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list