Evo asking for password AGAIN

123

Evo asking for password AGAIN

Christopher Marlow-3
I know I havent asked this before because I keep all questions i've
asked in a folder and this question isnt in there.

Anyways Evolution is asking for my password constantly again. I dont
know if I have uninstalled something or what. I typed into my terminal
sudo zypper gnome-keyring and it says that its installed and its using
the latest version.

The only thing I can think of is I switched to LXQT DE. But I doubt
that would cause any issues.

Am I missing a file? Will reinstalling EVO download gnome keyring and
will undo what I did? Will I lose my data( I use pop3) ?

Evolution 3.34.4
OpenSuse Leap 15.2
LXQT desktop

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN

Christopher Marlow-3
On Fri, 2021-01-08 at 20:41 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:

> I know I havent asked this before because I keep all questions i've
> asked in a folder and this question isnt in there.
>
> Anyways Evolution is asking for my password constantly again. I dont
> know if I have uninstalled something or what. I typed into my
> terminal
> sudo zypper gnome-keyring and it says that its installed and its
> using
> the latest version.
>
> The only thing I can think of is I switched to LXQT DE. But I doubt
> that would cause any issues.
>
> Am I missing a file? Will reinstalling EVO download gnome keyring and
> will undo what I did? Will I lose my data( I use pop3) ?
>
> Evolution 3.34.4
> OpenSuse Leap 15.2
> LXQT desktop
>

> Thanks,
> Chris
> [hidden email]

Update I googled and came up with this.. ( It was for a different DE though ) I need to have LXQT load GNOME services at startup?

Do I need that?

Or is that not my problem?

IF it is my problem how do I do that?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN

On Fri, 2021-01-08 at 20:41 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> I know I havent asked this before because I keep all questions i've
> asked in a folder and this question isnt in there.
>
> Anyways Evolution is asking for my password constantly again.

Password for what exactly? "Constantly" means what? Every other minute
while running Evolution? When it starts? Something else?
Please don't make us guess and leave no room for interpretation.

> I dont
> know if I have uninstalled something or what. I typed into my
> terminal
> sudo zypper gnome-keyring and it says that its installed and its
> using
> the latest version.
>
> The only thing I can think of is I switched to LXQT DE. But I doubt
> that would cause any issues.

Evolution is a GNOME application so it relies on some GNOME services.
Having gnome-keyring installed doesn't mean that gnome-keyring-daemon
is magically started by something not GNOME and that gnome-keyring-
daemon is running when Evolution needs it.

> Am I missing a file? Will reinstalling EVO download gnome keyring and
> will undo what I did? Will I lose my data( I use pop3) ?
>
> Evolution 3.34.4
> OpenSuse Leap 15.2
> LXQT desktop

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN

Christopher Marlow-3
On Sat, 2021-01-09 at 11:26 +0100, Andre Klapper via evolution-list

> Password for what exactly? "Constantly" means what? Every other
> minute
> while running Evolution? When it starts? Something else?
> Please don't make us guess and leave no room for interpretation.

Everytime I open evo I get prompted for the password. It was not doing
that before. Now all of a sudden it is asking for the password on EVO
launch.

       "Evolution is a GNOME application so it relies on some GNOME
                                services.
     Having gnome-keyring installed doesn't mean that gnome-keyring-
                                  daemon
   is magically started by something not GNOME and that gnome-keyring-
               daemon is running when Evolution needs it."

 How do I go about setting up the daemon if that is what my problem is?
                      Or could it be my problem?

                                Thanks,
                                 Chris

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2021-01-09 at 10:56 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
>  How do I go about setting up the daemon if that is what my problem
> is?

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-keyring/-/issues/71 might be
related, if I understand correctly. You could try edit the files
»/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-*.desktop« by changing the
"OnlyShowIn" line to include LXQT. But that's just my guess.

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN

Christopher Marlow-3
I just tried editing that line in  sudo nano /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-
keyring-*.desktop and evo is still asking me for the password on start.

It has only started this since switching to LXQT.

I tried to open your last reply to me after editing that file and I get
this error:

Unable to retrieve message.

Cannot get message 1610297685.9840_1492.localhost.localdomain from
folder /home/chris/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/.Evolution Mail
Group: No such file or directory

I really dont want to have to switch to webmail because I have a couple
of years of data stored in evolution that I might or might not need. (
it depends on what it is).

On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 11:07 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> I just tried editing that line in  sudo nano
> /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-
> keyring-*.desktop and evo is still asking me for the password on
> start.

Please be specific. Which exact file did you edit? Which line did you
change to what exactly? Did you reboot afterwards?

Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]

On 1/10/21 1:34 PM, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:

> On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 11:07 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
>> I just tried editing that line in  sudo nano
>> /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-
>> keyring-*.desktop and evo is still asking me for the password on
>> start.
> Please be specific. Which exact file did you edit? Which line did you
> change to what exactly? Did you reboot afterwards?
>
> Thanks,
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

I was specific I wrote in the last email

/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-
keyring-*.desktop

the line that says includes I added LxQT; to the file at the end of the list.

Yes I restarted.

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN

Ángel González
On 2021-01-10 at 13:49 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> > On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 11:07 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> > > I just tried editing that line in  sudo nano
> > > /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-
> > > keyring-*.desktop and evo is still asking me for the password on
> > > start.
> >

> I was specific I wrote in the last email
>
> /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-
> keyring-*.desktop
>
> the line that says includes I added LxQT; to the file at the end of
> the list.
>
> Yes I restarted.

You would generally copy the file to ~/.config/autostart and edit the
copy there. In fact, if you have that file in ~/.config/autostart, it
will be used instead of the copy at /etc/xdg/autostart, and your edit
ignored.

Best regards

On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 13:49 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:

> On 1/10/21 1:34 PM, Andre Klapper via evolution-list wrote:
> > On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 11:07 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> > > I just tried editing that line in  sudo nano
> > > /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-
> > > keyring-*.desktop and evo is still asking me for the password on
> > > start.
> > Please be specific. Which exact file did you edit? Which line did you
> > change to what exactly? Did you reboot afterwards?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > andre
> > --
> > Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
> >
> I was specific I wrote in the last email
>
> /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-
> keyring-*.desktop
>
> the line that says includes I added LxQT; to the file at the end of the list.

What Andre means (I think) is that that is not a file - it's got a
wildcard in it. It should refer to a number of files - if you do

   ls /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-*.desktop

do you see a number of files, did you edit them all, or just one?

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN

On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 13:49 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> Yes I restarted.

        Hi,
you can check whether it is running when you run:

   $ ps ax | grep keyring

When I run it here I see as one of the lines:

     1289 ?        SLl    0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login

Which means it is running. The evolution-source-registry talks to it,
indirectly, through libsecret library. It can happen the keyring daemon
is restarted after the evolution-source-registry connects to it, which
can/could cause trouble, because libsecret doesn't/didn't handle this
case gracefully.

You might also make sure the keyring is unlocked after login. You can
check that with the seahorse application.

In case you see the gnome-keyring-daemon running and Evolution still
asking for the password, I'd try to run in a terminal:

   $ evolution --force-shutdown
   $ evolution

which will restart Evolution and the background evolution-data-server
processes. That may, kind of, prove whether you face any problem with
the keyring restart after login. There can be other issues with it too.
The seahorse may help to identify some of them.

You can also run the evolution-source-registry from a terminal. It can
show some runtime warnings there. This service is started whenever
anything needs it (through D-Bus), which should work similarly with the
gnome-keyring-daemon, +/- automatic unlock of the password keyring.

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN ( also replying to Angel)

Christopher Marlow-3

On 1/11/21 2:40 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> ps ax | grep keyring

This is what I get:

chris@localhost:~> ps ax | grep keyring
15250 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon
17187 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto keyring
chris@localhost:~>

And to answer Angel... I only edited the one file..

For some reason I cannot open 2 replies from this message board because
it says that they cant be found ( see the error message I posted a
couple messages back )

I am having to send this from Thunderbird.

Re: Evo asking for password AGAIN

Christopher Marlow-3

On 1/11/21 2:40 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 13:49 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
>> Yes I restarted.
> Hi,
> you can check whether it is running when you run:
>
>     $ ps ax | grep keyring

I edited all 3 files and added to the line:

OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;MATE;XFCE;LXQt;

To all 3 files.

On 1/11/21 11:33 AM, Christopher Marlow wrote:

> On 1/11/21 2:40 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
>> ps ax | grep keyring

I just restarted SUSE and EVO is still asking me for the password at
start. :(

Chris

On Mon, 2021-01-11 at 12:47 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> I just restarted SUSE and EVO is still asking me for the password at
> start.

        Hi,
did you try:

   $ evolution --force-shutdown
   $ evolution

when you confirmed the gnome-keyring is running? Did you see in the
Seahorse the keyring is unlocked (there could be two keyrings, one
named "Default" and one "Login"; I recall it used to confuse the
keyring for some reason; I do not recall which of the two is the
correct one). The Seahorse shows "Passwords->Login" for me and when I
select it I see a lot of "Evolution Data Source" passwords being saved
there. There are some from GNOME Online Accounts too, though I suppose
you entered your accounts directly in the Evolution.

You mentioned POP3, right? Could you run:

   $ CAMEL_DEBUG=pop3 evolution

and see what it does? Maybe the server rejects the stored password for
some reason. Can be you do not use a secure method and the server
forces it. Some servers do that, they reject to login on an insecure
connection. I do not know whether your 3.34.4 can deal with this in a
graceful way, you might see the password rejection reason in the
password prompt dialog.

On 1/12/21 3:17 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> evolution --force-shutdown

Chris@localhost:~> evolution --force-shutdown
Could not find Evolution's process ID
chris@localhost:~>

"when you confirmed the gnome-keyring is running? Did you see in the

Seahorse the keyring is unlocked (there could be two keyrings, one

named "Default" and one "Login"; I recall it used to confuse the
keyring for some reason; I do not recall which of the two is the
correct one). The Seahorse shows "Passwords->Login" for me and when I
select it I see a lot of "Evolution Data Source" passwords being saved
there. There are some from GNOME Online Accounts too, though I suppose
you entered your accounts directly in the Evolution."

I confirmed its running by running the command you gave me

chris@localhost:~> ps ax | grep keyring
  2030 ?        SLl    0:00 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon
28152 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto keyring
chris@localhost:~>

I did not notice anything that says seahorse when I ran that command.

chris@localhost:~> CAMEL_DEBUG=pop3 evolution
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
No protocol specified

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.216: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

No protocol specified

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.263: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.263: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.263: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.263: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.263: atk-bridge: GetRegisteredEvents returned message with unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.287: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.287: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.287: atk-bridge: GetRegisteredEvents returned message with unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.288: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.288: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.288: atk-bridge: GetRegisteredEvents returned message with unknown signature
No protocol specified

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.349: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.349: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.411: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.439: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.462: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.496: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.497: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.566: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.566: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.567: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.567: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.567: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.567: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.573: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.573: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.573: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.573: atk-bridge: GetRegisteredEvents returned message with unknown signature

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.574: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.574: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.574: atk-bridge: GetRegisteredEvents returned message with unknown signature

[...]

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.574: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.581: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.581: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.581: atk-bridge: get_device_events_reply: unknown signature

** (WebKitWebProcess:28239): WARNING **: 10:37:14.581: atk-bridge: GetRegisteredEvents returned message with unknown signature

** (evolution:28175): WARNING **: 10:37:14.581: AT-SPI: Could not obtain desktop path or name

POP3_STREAM_LINE (88): '+OK Gpop ready for requests from 2001:5b0:4ac8:ad48:90a4:64d5:8164:e028 x5mb337406182ivf'
POP3_STREAM_WRITE (6):
CAPA

POP3_STREAM_LINE (23): '+OK Hello from jpop-0.1'
POP3_STREAM_WRITE (6):
CAPA

POP3_STREAM_LINE (27): '+OK Capability list follows'
Got + response
cmd_capa
POP3_STREAM_LINE (4): 'USER'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (10): 'RESP-CODES'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (8): 'EXPIRE 0'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (15): 'LOGIN-DELAY 300'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (3): 'TOP'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (4): 'UIDL'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (13): 'X-GOOGLE-RICO'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (30): 'SASL PLAIN XOAUTH2 OAUTHBEARER'
scanning tokens 'PLAIN XOAUTH2 OAUTHBEARER'
got auth type 'PLAIN'
got auth type 'XOAUTH2'
unsupported auth type 'OAUTHBEARER'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (END)
POP3_STREAM_LINE (21): '+OK CAPA list follows'
Got + response
cmd_capa
POP3_STREAM_LINE (23): 'IMPLEMENTATION jpop-0.1'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (3): 'TOP'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (4): 'USER'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (16): 'SASL LOGIN PLAIN'
scanning tokens 'LOGIN PLAIN'
got auth type 'LOGIN'
got auth type 'PLAIN'
POP3_STREAM_LINE (END)

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 10:39 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> I did not notice anything that says seahorse when I ran that command.

        Hi,
Seahorse is a separate application. Shown here as "Passwords and Keys"
in the applications list.

> got auth type 'LOGIN'
> got auth type 'PLAIN'
> POP3_STREAM_LINE (END)

I guess it's the end of the log, right? Nothing more shown after you
close Evolution. That can be the evolution-source-registry failed to
talk to the gnome-keyring-deamon, or the password is just not there, in
the keyring.

You can run the source registry from a terminal:

   $ /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry

(the actual path can differ in your distribution) and then run
evolution from another terminal. Check the source registry output
before/after the password prompt is shown (I'd try to enter a valid
password too). You can also run the source registry with ESR_DEBUG=1 ,
which will make it chatty. If you decide to share it in public, where
most of the things there might be useless for your case, you should be
careful what you provide. Even encoded blobs can contain sensitive
data.

On 1/12/21 10:57 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> You can run the source registry from a terminal:
>
>     $ /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry
>
> (the actual path can differ in your distribution)

I am running Open Suse 15.2

chris@localhost:~> /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry
bash: /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry: No such file or directory
chris@localhost:~>

I guess it's the end of the log, right?

Yes I copied and pasted the whole output of my terminal.

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 11:25 -0600, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> On 1/12/21 10:57 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> > (the actual path can differ in your distribution)
>
> chris@localhost:~> /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry
> bash: /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry: No such file or
> directory

        Hi,
as I said, the actual path can differ in your distribution. I do not
know where they save it. Maybe try:

   $ ps ax | grep evolution

When it's running it shows also the path to the file. If not running,
then start evolution and close it. It will make sure the source
registry is running.

On 1/12/21 11:29 AM, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:

> as I said, the actual path can differ in your distribution. I do not
> know where they save it. Maybe try:
>
>     $ ps ax | grep evolution
>
> When it's running it shows also the path to the file. If not running,
> then start evolution and close it. It will make sure the source
> registry is running.

chris@localhost:~> ps ax | grep evolution

  4706 ?        Sl     0:00
/usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-data-server/evolution-alarm-notify
  4735 ?        Ssl    0:00
/usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-calendar-factory
  4822 ?        Ssl    0:00
/usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-addressbook-factory
  5347 pts/0    Sl+    0:00
/usr/lib/evolution-data-server/evolution-source-registry
  5367 ?        SLl    0:01 evolution
  5512 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto evolution
chris@localhost:~>

(the actual path can differ in your distribution) and then run
evolution from another terminal. Check the source registry output
before/after the password prompt is shown (I'd try to enter a valid
password too). You can also run the source registry with ESR_DEBUG=1 ,
which will make it chatty. If you decide to share it in public, where
most of the things there might be useless for your case, you should be
careful what you provide. Even encoded blobs can contain sensitive
data.

I don't understand this part.

Chris

123