Evolution 3.13.3

Wasserland
I am new to this list . . .

I am using Ubuntu 14.04.  I decided to install  3.13.3 because I was having trouble with Ubuntu's the default version of Evolution. ie  Couldn't get Junk/Spamassassin working.

I know 3.13.* is still in development but it seems to work okay nevertheless.  My main problem is the font size on the compose mail screen.  I seems stuck on a small font despite my attempts to change that in "preferences".  So I have a few questions please:

1. Is this a bug or is there a solution within 3.13.*

2. I can't find a .deb file to go to the latest stable version 3.12.*

3. Will I lose my current mail, addresses book etc if I change backward?

4.  Does this font come out small as you see it on your monitor?

Thank you,
Dave W

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

Bart-61
On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 11:21 +1000, Wasserland wrote:

> I am new to this list . . .
>

> I am using Ubuntu 14.04.  I decided to install  3.13.3 because I was
> having trouble with Ubuntu's the default version of Evolution. ie
>  Couldn't get Junk/Spamassassin working.
>

> I know 3.13.* is still in development but it seems to work okay
> nevertheless.  My main problem is the font size on the compose mail
> screen.  I seems stuck on a small font despite my attempts to change
> that in "preferences".  So I have a few questions please:
>

> 1. Is this a bug or is there a solution within 3.13.*
>

> 2. I can't find a .deb file to go to the latest stable version 3.12.*
>

> 3. Will I lose my current mail, addresses book etc if I change
> backward?
>

> 4.  Does this font come out small as you see it on your monitor?
>

> Thank you,
> Dave W
> _

Welcome to the list!  First, if you use Plain Text, as is requested by
this list, the problem pretty much goes away.

However...  I just know you're going to say "But most of my messages are
in HTML"  :)  So are mine!

The small text on my screen, when I compose a message, is somewhat of a
pain. I agree.  But, when I get a message back, as a reply, I see that
the text is fairly properly sized.  I guess we are both obsessing about
a mostly non-existing problem.  Besides, we can't control what fonts are
installed on the recipient's computer.  Our carefully crafted message
can be rendered unreadable if we were to use a font that does not exist
on the end computer.

As an example, I had my wife send me a message, from her Windows
machine, using Thunderbird, and composed in Cooper Black.  When I
received it, Evolution disregarded the font as it is not installed on my
machine and showed the message in the regular font we see.

I would still like to be able to chose which font is used so I could
make sure I am sending MS TT type fonts and would know pretty much what
the end user will see.

Can't help you with the downgrade question.  Sorry.

Bart

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

Matthew Barnes
On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 11:21 +1000, Wasserland wrote:
> I know 3.13.* is still in development but it seems to work okay
> nevertheless.  My main problem is the font size on the compose mail
> screen.  I seems stuck on a small font despite my attempts to change
> that in "preferences".  So I have a few questions please:

Note that 3.13 is currently carrying a brand new WebKit-based email
composer that is still undergoing testing and debugging.  This is a
major rewrite, so be prepared for some instability and quirkiness.

Also note that Evolution is on an annual (spring) release schedule now,
so 3.14 won't be released until next year.

Downgrading is always unsupported and at your own risk, but at this time
I believe downgrading from 3.13 to 3.12 *should* be relatively safe.

Matthew Barnes

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

Emre Erenoglu
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 4:04 PM, Matthew Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 11:21 +1000, Wasserland wrote:
> I know 3.13.* is still in development but it seems to work okay
> nevertheless.  My main problem is the font size on the compose mail
> screen.  I seems stuck on a small font despite my attempts to change
> that in "preferences".  So I have a few questions please:

Note that 3.13 is currently carrying a brand new WebKit-based email
composer that is still undergoing testing and debugging.  This is a
major rewrite, so be prepared for some instability and quirkiness.

Yep, indeed, it's crashing on me when sending emails and I just filed a bug report with stack trace...

---
Emre

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 08:04 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:

> Downgrading is always unsupported and at your own risk, but at this
> time I believe downgrading from 3.13 to 3.12 *should* be relatively
> safe.

        Hi,
you are right with the both parts here. Downgrading is unsupported,
but in this case switching between 3.12.x and 3.13.x is safe, I run
both versions on the same /home with no spotted issues (there were
done no changes in the stored files formats, as far as I  know).

On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 11:21 +1000, Wasserland wrote:
> My main problem is the font size on the compose mail
> screen.  I
seems stuck on a small font despite my attempts to change
> that in
"preferences".

I do not see any font differences, I compose messages in a Plain Text mode. You should see the same fonts as those in the message preview in the Mail view. Do you see this message with a too small font in both the message preview and when you reply to it, or you see the font issue only for HTML formatted emails in the message composer?

If I switch between the HTML mode and the Plain Text mode, then the HTML mode has smaller font, but approximately the same size as in the message preview.

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

Wasserland
Thank you all for the helpful comments.

3.13 seems to have some formatting "quirkiness" that makes me a little uncomfortable.  Perhaps I will try 3.12 given that it is apparently  compatible - but "stable".

Please, will someone point me to a 3.12.*.deb file.  I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Dave W

Hi, you are right with the both parts here. Downgrading is unsupported, but in this case switching between 3.12.x and 3.13.x is safe, I run both versions on the same /home with no spotted issues (there were done no changes in the stored files formats, as far as I know). On Mon, 2014-07-14 at 11:21 +1000, Wasserland wrote:
My main problem is the font size on the compose mail screen. I
seems stuck on a small font despite my attempts to change
that in
"preferences". I do not see any font differences, I compose messages in a Plain Text mode. You should see the same fonts as those in the message preview in the Mail view. Do you see this message with a too small font in both the message preview and when you reply to it, or you see the font issue only for HTML formatted emails in the message composer? If I switch between the HTML mode and the Plain Text mode, then the HTML mode has smaller font, but approximately the same size as in the message preview. Bye, Milan _______________________________________________ evolution-list mailing list [hidden email] To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ... https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

Andre Klapper
On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 08:25 +1000, Wasserland wrote:
> Please, will someone point me to a 3.12.*.deb file.  I can't seem to
> find it anywhere.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/evolution

http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

Ralf Mardorf-2

there's a reason why I reply using HTML ;).

I guess it's not the fault of the OP, but likely an Evolution bug. One of the HTML lines is endless:

On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 08:25 +1000, Wasserland wrote:
3.13 seems to have some formatting "quirkiness" that makes me a little uncomfortable.  Perhaps I will try 3.12 given that it is apparently  compatible - but "stable".

Btw. I usually don't use HTML, that's why I never noticed that for 3.12.3 the font for Evolution's mail editor are also to small on my machine and it does produce an endless line here too. Assumed it should be related to the used WM/DE, here Evolution is running on JWM.

A note to the OP: On mailing lists usually plain text, inline or bottom posting is wanted. HTML and top posting are frowned upon, if not forbidden. Btw. it's better to use plain text even for private and business mails, even if you use a MUA that has got no bugs, HTML always will cause issues.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

Ralf Mardorf-2
PS: The endless lines aren't endless (anymore) and I was mistaken, they
even were not endless in my Evo's editor, I'm not used to HTML without
line breaking, just the OP's line really is endless, IOW scrolling from
left to right is needed.

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

Wasserland
On Tue, 2014-07-15 at 11:05 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> .
>
> A note to the OP: On mailing lists usually plain text, inline or
> bottom posting is wanted. HTML and top posting are frowned upon, if
> not forbidden. Btw. it's better to use plain text even for private
> and business mails, even if you use a MUA that has got no bugs, HTML
> always will cause issues.

Thanks for the note Ralf.  I was unaware of the protocol but have
now read up on it and understand the issues better.

Regards
Dave W

Re: Evolution 3.13.3

cigtoxdoc
I too am using 3.13.3 under Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit running on a DELL Vostro 3500 with 8 GB ram.  Only problems so far is that sending HTML e-mails of several paragraphs sometimes results in slow "send" with excessive CPU usage (Intel i5 with 4 CPUs).

One annoying feature is the spell check.  Right clicking the misspelled word often will not bring up the correct spelling, and there seems no way to add words to the dictionary.

John