Evolution 3.18.5.2 doesn't show messages in folders

Evolution 3.18.5.2 doesn't show messages in folders

Andréa Weber
Hello,

a user in the Department where I work accidentally deleted configuration files like .local/share/evolution and .config/evolution on his home directory.
Then, his Evolution account was reconfigured and the deleted files were restored from a backup.
His Inbos is ok, but the messages in folders of archived emails don't appear on the screen.
The metadata is there, e.g. the list of folders appears on the left pane of Evolution, and the mbox files are in the Mail directory of his account.
Nevertheless, the messages are not shown on the right pane as any of the folders is selected.

I looked for messages until about 6 months ago on the Archives of this list, but didn't find any similar problem reported.
Any suggestion?

Thanks

      Andréa Weber

Re: Evolution 3.18.5.2 doesn't show messages in folders

Milan Crha
On Tue, 2017-04-18 at 13:54 -0300, Andréa Weber wrote:
> The metadata is there, e.g. the list of folders appears on the left
> pane of Evolution, and the mbox files are in the Mail directory of
> his account.

        Hi,
I guess we talk about On This Computer/ folders, right?

Your 3.18.x is very old, though, if I recall correctly, it also uses
Maildir, not mbox. It has a different directory structure on the disk.

Anyway, the On This Computer messages are stored in
  ~/.local/share/evolution/mail/local/
There's a folders.db file, which contains information about "known"
messages. This information is used in the message list in UI. You can
move that file away, then the next start Evolution will recreate it
from the underlying data.

As mbox is different from Maildir it depends how you name the folders
you restored. If it was an Evolution backup file, then it should just
work, supposing you restored also from within Evolution itself
(File->Restore Evolution Data...). Otherwise, well, there are too many
options to name them all here.

I would also check the user documentation, just in case:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-cannot-see.html.en

Re: Evolution 3.18.5.2 doesn't show messages in folders

Ralf Mardorf-3
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:54:15 -0300, Andréa Weber wrote:
>Nevertheless, the messages are not shown on the right pane as
>any of the folders is selected.

Hi,

since you don't provide much information, such as e.g. at least
Evolution related messages in ~/.xsession-errors or the output you get
when running Evolution from command line, just a shot in the dark.

Take a look at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_(software)#/media/File:Evolution_36_mail.png

below the menu and tool bar there's an option "Show:" with a selection
box. You need to select "All Messages". Sometimes users by accident are
above that selection box, when scrolling with the mouse wheel.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Evolution 3.18.5.2 doesn't show messages in folders

Andréa Weber
It was not the case; nevertheless, thanks, Ralf.

      Andréa

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 13:54:15 -0300, Andréa Weber wrote:
>Nevertheless, the messages are not shown on the right pane as
>any of the folders is selected.

Hi,

since you don't provide much information, such as e.g. at least
Evolution related messages in ~/.xsession-errors or the output you get
when running Evolution from command line, just a shot in the dark.

Take a look at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_(software)#/media/File:Evolution_36_mail.png

below the menu and tool bar there's an option "Show:" with a selection
box. You need to select "All Messages". Sometimes users by accident are
above that selection box, when scrolling with the mouse wheel.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Evolution 3.18.5.2 doesn't show messages in folders

Andréa Weber
Hi Milan,

I tried what you suggested, but with no success for all the folders, only for some.
I do not know why. Nevertheless I am trying another solution, i.e., with another software.

Thanks for your reply.

      Andréa