Evolution 3.28.1: Incorrect quoting of text emails

Evolution 3.28.1: Incorrect quoting of text emails

Paul Smith-43
Hi all; I recently upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.04 which provides
Evolution 3.28.1 (from Evolution 3.26).

I've noticed an annoying issue: quoting of quoted messages is broken
when replying to plain text email in HTML mode.  For example if I
receive a plain text email and it includes some quoted text like this:

------------------------
> here is a quote

and here is a response
------------------------

and I reply to this message with my composer preference set to HTML
mode, then the composer shows a response where the quoted text is at
the same quoting level as the normal text.  That is, instead of:

------------------------
> > here is a quote
>
> and here is a response
------------------------

I just get (in HTML of course):

------------------------
> here is a quote
>
> and here is a response
------------------------

And this is true no matter how many levels of quoting there are in the
original email, everything is reduced to a single level.  Converting
this message to plain text doesn't fix it.

If I'm replying to an HTML email, quoting works properly.

If I change my composer preference to disable HTML by default, then it
all works properly: the plain text reply has all the correct quoting.
If I convert the message to HTML it keeps the correct quoting.

Has anyone else run into this with Evolution 3.28?

Cheers!

Re: Evolution 3.28.1: Incorrect quoting of text emails

Andre Klapper
On Sun, 2018-06-17 at 18:10 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> Has anyone else run into this with Evolution 3.28?

Which exact WebKitGTK version is used?

On Mon, 2018-06-18 at 15:17 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-06-17 at 18:10 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> > Has anyone else run into this with Evolution 3.28?
>
> Which exact WebKitGTK version is used?

I'm using these versions:

$ dpkg -l \*webkit\* | grep ^i
ii  gir1.2-webkit2-4.0:amd64   2.20.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64
ii  libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:amd64 2.20.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64

Re: Evolution 3.28.1: Incorrect quoting of text emails

Paul Smith-43
Anyone have any ideas about this?  I've now had to upgrade my work
system and it's much more of a problem there, because I need to send
most of my work email in HTML mode, and it doesn't work as below...

FYI, packages:

ii  evolution                       3.28.1-2
ii  gir1.2-webkit-3.0:amd64         2.4.11-3ubuntu3
ii  gir1.2-webkit2-4.0:amd64        2.20.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
ii  libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:amd64      2.20.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
ii  libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37-gtk2:amd64 2.20.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
ii  libwebkitgtk-3.0-0:amd64        2.4.11-3ubuntu3
ii  libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev:amd64      2.4.11-3ubuntu3

On Sun, 2018-06-17 at 18:10 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:

> Hi all; I recently upgraded my system to Ubuntu 18.04 which provides
> Evolution 3.28.1 (from Evolution 3.26).
>
> I've noticed an annoying issue: quoting of quoted messages is broken
> when replying to plain text email in HTML mode.  For example if I
> receive a plain text email and it includes some quoted text like
> this:
>
> ------------------------
> > here is a quote
>
> and here is a response
> ------------------------
>
> and I reply to this message with my composer preference set to HTML
> mode, then the composer shows a response where the quoted text is at
> the same quoting level as the normal text.  That is, instead of:
>
> ------------------------
> > > here is a quote
> >
> > and here is a response
>
> ------------------------
>
> I just get (in HTML of course):
>
> ------------------------
> > here is a quote
> >
> > and here is a response
>
> ------------------------
>
> And this is true no matter how many levels of quoting there are in
> the
> original email, everything is reduced to a single level.  Converting
> this message to plain text doesn't fix it.
>
> If I'm replying to an HTML email, quoting works properly.
>
> If I change my composer preference to disable HTML by default, then
> it
> all works properly: the plain text reply has all the correct
> quoting.
> If I convert the message to HTML it keeps the correct quoting.
>
> Has anyone else run into this with Evolution 3.28?
>
> Cheers!

Re: Evolution 3.28.1: Incorrect quoting of text emails

Paul Smith-43
I got no joy about this so I opened an issue for it:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/86

A fix would be lovely; this is actually causing me some pain.  Even
just a verification that others see it (it's pretty simple to
reproduce) would be nice.

Cheers!

bg

On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 17:32 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
I got no joy about this so I opened an issue for it:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/86

A fix would be lovely; this is actually causing me some pain.  Even
just a verification that others see it (it's pretty simple to
reproduce) would be nice.

bg:

Why format emails in HTML in the first place? A great many people view
HTML-coded emails, and not unreasonably IMO, as poor security, since
AFAIK they can contain little ride-along malware poison pills buried
in their code. I know a lot of people who won't even open HTML-encoded
emails, and I can't tell them they're wrong.

Maybe my information in this regard is out of date, in which case
I'm sure someone will set me straight:-)

Brewster

"...notability, which can lead to fame, is something every academic
heaps scorn on while secretly craving. The only thing more popular in
faculty lounges than cheap red wine is vicious sniping at members of
the guild who command an audience outside the academy."

                   Milo Yiannopoulos

On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 16:22 -0700, bg wrote:
> Why format emails in HTML in the first place?

There have been enough 'HTML vs plain text' discussions in the last
decades and I don't expect surprising new arguments by having yet
another 'HTML vs plain text' discussion.
There are some pros and some cons and we all know that.

Proposing to stick to the actual bug instead.

Re: Evolution 3.28.1: Incorrect quoting of text emails

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 08:51 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 16:22 -0700, bg wrote:
> > Why format emails in HTML in the first place?
>
> There have been enough 'HTML vs plain text' discussions in the last
> decades and I don't expect surprising new arguments by having yet
> another 'HTML vs plain text' discussion.
> There are some pros and some cons and we all know that.
>
> Proposing to stick to the actual bug instead.
>
> andre

Agreed, but I'd just note that plaintext is preferred *on this list*
(which is a separate topic of course).

Re: Evolution 3.28.1: Incorrect quoting of text emails

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Le 2018-08-06 à 05:30, Patrick O'Callaghan a écrit :

> On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 08:51 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
>> On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 16:22 -0700, bg wrote:
>>> Why format emails in HTML in the first place?
>>
>> There have been enough 'HTML vs plain text' discussions in the last
>> decades and I don't expect surprising new arguments by having yet
>> another 'HTML vs plain text' discussion.
>> There are some pros and some cons and we all know that.
>>
>> Proposing to stick to the actual bug instead.
>>
>> andre
>
> Agreed, but I'd just note that plaintext is preferred *on this list*
> (which is a separate topic of course).
>
> poc

Also, plain text is preferred on *most lists* of this type (if not all),
which accept response by users.

--
another André

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 11:28 -0400, andré via evolution-list wrote:

> Le 2018-08-06 à 05:30, Patrick O'Callaghan a écrit :
> > >
> > > There have been enough 'HTML vs plain text' discussions in the last
> > > decades and I don't expect surprising new arguments by having yet
> > > another 'HTML vs plain text' discussion.
> > > There are some pros and some cons and we all know that.
> > >
> > > Proposing to stick to the actual bug instead.
> > >
> > > andre
> >
> > Agreed, but I'd just note that plaintext is preferred *on this list*
> > (which is a separate topic of course).
> >
> > poc
> >

> Also, plain text is preferred on *most lists* of this type (if not all),
> which accept response by users.

Sure.

Re: Evolution 3.28.1: Incorrect quoting of text emails

Christopher Marlow
On Sun, 2018-08-05 at 16:22 -0700, bg wrote:
> I know a lot of people who won't even open HTML-encoded
> emails, and I can't tell them they're wrong.

Hi BG,

That would kind of be hard to do in modern day time.

EVERYTHING comes in the HTML formatting now I think.

My bank emails, Youtube, etc etc

Unless you mean, that they wont open emails from personal friends or
family that is formatted in HTML?

Thank you and take care!
-- Chris

Main Email address: [hidden email]
(Please send all off topic messages to my main address..Thanks)