Evolution 3.30.5-1.1 trashing emails seemingly at random

Al

Evolution 3.30.5-1.1 trashing emails seemingly at random

Al
Evolution apparently is being triggered to Trash (i.e. move to the Trash
folder) some of my emails.  If I move them back to the Inbox, they get
Trashed again.

My Evolution client (Debian package manager says it is version
3.30.5-1.1) on one Debian 10.7 (fully updated) machine has three
accounts open, and it exhibits this behavior on all three accounts. Some
email must get matched to something, somehow and get sent to Trash.  I
don't see any pattern in particular.  Whatever the bug is in matching
what emails to (erroneously) trash, it's repeatable.  If I move them
back to Inbox, those and only those emails are almost immediately
trashed again.

Since there are many IMAP clients, and I wanted to be sure who to blame,
I created special Trash subfolders.
The subfolders are named server.client, and the email right away stopped
getting sent to Trash and instead started showing up in HADRON.ev (the
host name is hadron, and ev for evolution, instead of, e.g. tb for
Thunderbird).

I haven't dived into the code, but of course I have gone over my
settings.  For one thing, these emails are not getting put in Junk, and
I have always had junk filters off anyway.  I don't know of any feature
in Evolution that would trash email without being requested.  I don't
have any filters on and the 'filter' feature is disabled.   The emails
that are getting caught are seemingly very diverse, with no obvious pattern.

Why would Evolution send email to Trash anyway?  Is it possible there is
some sort of "duplicate" detection that trashes some of the email?  I'm
grasping at straws here.

Can anyone suggest a place to start looking?  Is there a verbose log I
can configure?

I should add that this problem has been going on for at least a year or
two and likely on several Evolution versions during that time, since I
do periodic updates of the system.  I doubt that it's a brief flaw in
only the current version.

Re: Evolution 3.30.5-1.1 trashing emails seemingly at random

Pete Biggs

> Since there are many IMAP clients, and I wanted to be sure who to blame,
> I created special Trash subfolders.
> The subfolders are named server.client, and the email right away stopped
> getting sent to Trash and instead started showing up in HADRON.ev (the
> host name is hadron, and ev for evolution, instead of, e.g. tb for
> Thunderbird).

Yes, the "usual" cause for this is that some other client is doing it.
But you have clearly worked to try and monitor that possibility.

Out of interest, what are the IMAP servers? (Google, Exchange etc.)

> I haven't dived into the code, but of course I have gone over my
> settings.  For one thing, these emails are not getting put in Junk, and
> I have always had junk filters off anyway.  I don't know of any feature
> in Evolution that would trash email without being requested.  I don't
> have any filters on and the 'filter' feature is disabled.   The emails
> that are getting caught are seemingly very diverse, with no obvious pattern.
>
> Why would Evolution send email to Trash anyway?  Is it possible there is
> some sort of "duplicate" detection that trashes some of the email?  I'm
> grasping at straws here.

It's not a known thing. Certainly we haven't had people here
complaining about and if it were a common occurrence I'm absolutely
sure there would be a lot more noise about it.

Are you using "real" trash folders or virtual ones? If you are using a
real folder, then it might be an idea to turn that off and enable "Show
Deleted Messages"

> Can anyone suggest a place to start looking?  Is there a verbose log I
> can configure?

There are debugging environment variables that will turn on more
verbose output when Evolution is run from the command line.  They are
detailed at:

  https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

This command:

  CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution >& logfile

Is probably the most useful.  It is quite verbose so it may be
difficult to untangle the logfile - try just enabling a single account
with a single IMAP thread and narrow down the process to get the error
and just record what happens when you do that.  If you can't sort it
out, make sure there's no personally identifiable info and upload it to
something like pastebin (it will be too large for the mailing list) and
let us know where it is.

> I should add that this problem has been going on for at least a year or
> two and likely on several Evolution versions during that time, since I
> do periodic updates of the system.  I doubt that it's a brief flaw in
> only the current version.

As I said it's not a common problem and I've never seen random emails
being deleted.

On Fri, 2020-12-18 at 12:37 -0800, Al wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a place to start looking?  Is there a verbose log I
> can configure?

A search for "debug" in the Help leads to:

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

I'd suggest you start by tracing the IMAP interactions rather than
doing a full debug, which can be very verbose.