Evolution Closes When I Try to Print

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Evolution Closes When I Try to Print

Jim Engle
Hi All:

I have been happy to use Evolution Mail and Calendar in various versions
of Ubuntu for many years.  

I am currently using Evolution 3.10.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  Today
evolution crashes (closes) every time I try to print a message.  The
print dialog box opens and when I click print evolution closes.  I can
print from all of my other applications.  I have closed evolution, shut
down the computer, and started the pc again.  I have even uninstalled
Evolution through the software center, restarted the computer, and
installed Evolution again. Evolution still closes when I try to print.

I am new to evolution-list, but have searched for similar issues and
found the following posts but did not find a resolution for the issue:
 
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2007-December/msg00025.html

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-print-list/2004-February/msg00004.html

 
Is there anyone out there who has had this issue resolved?  

Or, Does anyone have a suggested fix?


Thank you.

Jim Engle

_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Evolution Closes When I Try to Print

Milan Crha
On Wed, 2017-03-08 at 18:30 -0600, Jim Engle wrote:
> I am currently using Evolution 3.10.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  Today
> evolution crashes (closes) every time I try to print a message.  The
> print dialog box opens and when I click print evolution closes.

        Hi,
there can be many reasons why the application crashed, thus it's really
hard to guess from your description where the problem can be and/or
whether any possible fix is available. Nonetheless, you can give some
clues, which will help. Please, install debuginfo packages for
evolution-data-server, evolution and as you use such ancient version
also gtkhtml3 (I've no idea of exact package names in Ubuntu, I'm
sorry, I do not use it). Then run evolution from a terminal under gdb
and reproduce the crash. The command looks like this:

   $ gdb evolution --ex r --ex bt --ex "t a a bt" --ex q

It will run the evolution and once the execution stops, hopefully due
to the crash, then it'll print the backtrace of the crashing thread and
afterwards also backtrace of all threads. Gather the console output
from the crash to see where it crashed. Please check the output for any
private information, like passwords, email address, server
addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at least (quotes for clarity
only).

By the way, does it crash for all messages, HTML and plain (this one is
plain text), or only for certain messages?
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Evolution Closes When I Try to Print

Jim Engle
In reply to this post by Jim Engle


Thank you Milan:

I appreciate your kind offer to help and hope that I am using the
correct procedure to respond.

You indicate that I am using an ancient version of evolution (3.10.4).
This is the version that the Ubuntu team packaged for Ubuntu 14.04.
There can be dependency issues that cause additional problems if a user
tries to upgrade an application to a version not supported by the OS.  I
did a little more research in Ubuntu help sites and found a post that
describes the dependency issues here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/755985/getting-latest-version-of-evolution-on-ubuntu-14-04

The post describes the problematic issue as:

"The problem is that Gnome programs generally is they depend on other
parts of Gnome to work properly - since 14.04 uses Gnome 3.10 as a base
version it becomes difficult to install some Gnome programs for 3.8,
3.12, 3.16 etc as they may break as they don't have the right libraries
etc available (unless patched) - and trying to install those libraries
which in turn probably will break Unity and other Gnome apps.... see
dependency hell.  You can get Evolution 3.16 in 15.10 Wily, and if you
wait two weeks you can get 3.18 in 16.04 (also a LTS like 14.04, but
still in beta currently).  If you really want to, you can try installing
the packages for 14.10 (may break stuff, I recommend backing Evolution's
data before doing it) by adding the a different entry for the PPA"

I am aware that I should upgrade my operating system to the latest
stable LTS version (16.04), and will be doing that soon.  It will
include a more current version of Evolution.  It takes substantial time
to set up a new system and get all of my applications installed, so I
was hoping to find a quick fix for the evolution printing issue.

I am comfortable using the terminal if I have step-by-step instructions,
and will be happy to provide the output that you suggest.  I have
installed evolution-dbg and evolution-data-server-dbg, but do not know
for sure if I have the gtkhtml3 that you requested.  (I can't find info
on that.)  Here is the output of dpkg -l "*gtk*" | grep ii

 
jim@jim-Nobilis:~$ dpkg -l "*gtk*" | grep ii
ii  apport-gtk
2.14.1-0ubuntu3.23                                  all          GTK+
frontend for the apport crash report system
ii  gir1.2-gtk-3.0
3.10.8-0ubuntu1.6                                   amd64        GTK+
graphical user interface library -- gir bindings
ii  gir1.2-gtkclutter-1.0
1.4.4-3ubuntu2.2                                    amd64        GObject
introspection data for the GTK+ Clutter library
ii  gir1.2-gtksource-3.0
3.10.2-0ubuntu1                                     amd64        gir
files for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget
ii  gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0
2.4.10-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                             amd64
JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK+ - GObject introspection data
ii  gtk2-engines-murrine:amd64
0.98.2-0ubuntu2                                     amd64
cairo-based gtk+-2.0 theme engine
ii  gtk2-engines-murrine:i386
0.98.2-0ubuntu2                                     i386
cairo-based gtk+-2.0 theme engine
ii  gtk2-engines-pixbuf:i386
2.24.23-0ubuntu1.4                                  i386
pixbuf-based theme for GTK+ 2.x
ii  gtk3-engines-unico:amd64                                    1.0.3
+14.04.20140109-0ubuntu1                       amd64        Unico Gtk+ 3
theme engine
ii  ibus-gtk:amd64
1.5.5-1ubuntu3.2                                    amd64
Intelligent Input Bus - GTK+2 support
ii  ibus-gtk3:amd64
1.5.5-1ubuntu3.2                                    amd64
Intelligent Input Bus - GTK+3 support
ii  libcanberra-gtk-module:amd64
0.30-0ubuntu3                                       amd64
translates GTK+ widgets signals to event sounds
ii  libcanberra-gtk0:amd64
0.30-0ubuntu3                                       amd64        GTK+
helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-0:amd64
0.30-0ubuntu3                                       amd64        GTK+
3.0 helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii  libcanberra-gtk3-module:amd64
0.30-0ubuntu3                                       amd64
translates GTK3 widgets signals to event sounds
ii  libcheese-gtk23:amd64
3.10.2-0ubuntu2                                     amd64        tool to
take pictures and videos from your webcam - widgets
ii  libclutter-gtk-1.0-0:amd64
1.4.4-3ubuntu2.2                                    amd64        Open GL
based interactive canvas library GTK+ widget
ii  libdbusmenu-gtk3-4:amd64                                    12.10.3
+14.04.20140612-0ubuntu1                     amd64        library for
passing menus over DBus - GTK+ version
ii  libdbusmenu-gtk4:amd64                                      12.10.3
+14.04.20140612-0ubuntu1                     amd64        library for
passing menus over DBus - GTK+ version
ii  libgtk-3-0:amd64
3.10.8-0ubuntu1.6                                   amd64        GTK+
graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk-3-bin
3.10.8-0ubuntu1.6                                   amd64
programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk-3-common
3.10.8-0ubuntu1.6                                   all          common
files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk-sharp-beans-cil                                      2.14.1-3
all          Supplementary CLI bindings for GTK 2.14+
ii  libgtk2-perl
2:1.249-2                                           amd64        Perl
interface to the 2.x series of the Gimp Toolkit library
ii  libgtk2.0-0:amd64
2.24.23-0ubuntu1.4                                  amd64        GTK+
graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-0:i386
2.24.23-0ubuntu1.4                                  i386         GTK+
graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-bin
2.24.23-0ubuntu1.4                                  amd64
programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-cil
2.12.10-5                                           amd64        CLI
binding for the GTK+ toolkit 2.12
ii  libgtk2.0-common
2.24.23-0ubuntu1.4                                  all          common
files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtkglext1
1.2.0-3.1fakesync3                                  amd64        OpenGL
Extension to GTK+ (shared libraries)
ii  libgtkhtml-4.0-0
4.6.6-2ubuntu1                                      amd64        HTML
rendering/editing library - runtime files
ii  libgtkhtml-4.0-common
4.6.6-2ubuntu1                                      all          HTML
rendering/editing library - common data
ii  libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0
4.6.6-2ubuntu1                                      amd64        HTML
rendering/editing library - editor widget
ii  libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a:amd64
1:2.24.4-1ubuntu1                                   amd64        C++
wrappers for GTK+ (shared libraries)
ii  libgtkmm-3.0-1:amd64
3.10.1-0ubuntu2                                     amd64        C++
wrappers for GTK+ (shared libraries)
ii  libgtksourceview-3.0-1:amd64
3.10.2-0ubuntu1                                     amd64        shared
libraries for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget
ii  libgtksourceview-3.0-common
3.10.2-0ubuntu1                                     all          common
files for the GTK+ syntax highlighting widget
ii  libgtkspell0
2.0.16-1ubuntu7                                     amd64        a
spell-checking addon for GTK's TextView widget
ii  libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0:amd64
2.4.10-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                             amd64
JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK+
ii  libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-0:amd64
2.4.10-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                             amd64
JavaScript engine library from WebKitGTK+
ii  libnm-gtk-common
0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4.5                                  all          network
management framework (common files for wifi and mobile)
ii  libnm-gtk0
0.9.8.8-0ubuntu4.5                                  amd64        network
management framework (GNOME dialogs for wifi and mobile)
ii  libreoffice-gtk
1:4.2.8-0ubuntu5                                    amd64        office
productivity suite -- GTK+ integration
ii  libunity-gtk2-parser0:amd64                                 0.0.0
+14.04.20141212-0ubuntu1                       amd64        GtkMenuShell
to GMenuModel parser
ii  libunity-gtk3-parser0:amd64                                 0.0.0
+14.04.20141212-0ubuntu1                       amd64        GtkMenuShell
to GMenuModel parser
ii  libwebkitgtk-1.0-0:amd64
2.4.10-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                             amd64        Web
content engine library for GTK+
ii  libwebkitgtk-1.0-common
2.4.10-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                             all          Web
content engine library for GTK+ - data files
ii  libwebkitgtk-3.0-0:amd64
2.4.10-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                             amd64        Web
content engine library for GTK+
ii  libwebkitgtk-3.0-common
2.4.10-0ubuntu0.14.04.1                             all          Web
content engine library for GTK+ - data files
ii  libwmf0.2-7-gtk
0.2.8.4-10.3ubuntu1.14.04.1                         amd64        Windows
metafile conversion library
ii  overlay-scrollbar-gtk2:amd64                                0.2.16
+r359+14.04.20131129-0ubuntu1                 amd64        GTK 2 module
for overlay scrollbars
ii  overlay-scrollbar-gtk3:amd64                                0.2.16
+r359+14.04.20131129-0ubuntu1                 amd64        GTK 3 module
for overlay scrollbars
ii  python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets
1.1.1-1ubuntu5.2                                    all          Python
2 GTK+ 3 widgets to run an aptdaemon client
ii  python-gtk2
2.24.0-3ubuntu3                                     amd64        Python
bindings for the GTK+ widget set
ii  python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets
1.1.1-1ubuntu5.2                                    all          Python
3 GTK+ 3 widgets to run an aptdaemon client
ii  software-properties-gtk
0.92.37.7                                           all          manage
the repositories that you install software from (gtk)
ii  transmission-gtk
2.82-1.1ubuntu3.1                                   amd64
lightweight BitTorrent client (GTK+ interface)
ii  ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk
1:0.220.9                                           all          manage
release upgrades
ii  unity-gtk-module-common                                     0.0.0
+14.04.20141212-0ubuntu1                       all          Common files
for GtkMenuShell D-Bus exporter
ii  unity-gtk2-module:amd64                                     0.0.0
+14.04.20141212-0ubuntu1                       amd64        GtkMenuShell
D-Bus exporter
ii  unity-gtk3-module:amd64                                     0.0.0
+14.04.20141212-0ubuntu1                       amd64        GtkMenuShell
D-Bus exporter
ii  usb-creator-gtk
0.2.56.3ubuntu0.1                                   amd64        create
a startup disk using a CD or disc image (for GNOME)
ii  xdg-user-dirs-gtk
0.10-1ubuntu1                                       amd64        tool to
manage well known user directories (Gtk extension)
jim@jim-Nobilis:~$


I tried to run Evolution from the terminal, which failed.  This is the output:

jim@jim-Nobilis:~$ gdb evolution --ex bt --ex "t a a bt" --ex q
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.7.1-0ubuntu5~14.04.2) 7.7.1
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from evolution...Reading symbols from /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/56/7b7c93c7b31b792abd81b27731b9f98a980e1a.debug...done.
done.
No stack.
jim@jim-Nobilis:~$ gdb evolution --ex bt --ex "t a a bt" --ex q



I am not sure what to try next.

Thank you,

Jim





On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 12:00 +0000, [hidden email]
wrote:

> Send evolution-list mailing list submissions to
> [hidden email]
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> [hidden email]
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> [hidden email]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of evolution-list digest..."
>
>
> Important: do NOT reply directly to this digest. If you wish to reply to a component message, use your mailer's facility for this. In Evolution: right-click and select from the pop-up menu, or use the drop-down menu at the top of each message if available.
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1.  Evolution Closes When I Try to Print (Jim Engle)
>    2. Re:  Evolution Closes When I Try to Print (Milan Crha)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2017 18:30:03 -0600
> From: Jim Engle <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Evolution] Evolution Closes When I Try to Print
> Message-ID: <1489019403.2777.14.camel@jim-laptop>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Hi All:
>
> I have been happy to use Evolution Mail and Calendar in various versions
> of Ubuntu for many years.  
>
> I am currently using Evolution 3.10.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  Today
> evolution crashes (closes) every time I try to print a message.  The
> print dialog box opens and when I click print evolution closes.  I can
> print from all of my other applications.  I have closed evolution, shut
> down the computer, and started the pc again.  I have even uninstalled
> Evolution through the software center, restarted the computer, and
> installed Evolution again. Evolution still closes when I try to print.
>
> I am new to evolution-list, but have searched for similar issues and
> found the following posts but did not find a resolution for the issue:
>  
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2007-December/msg00025.html
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-print-list/2004-February/msg00004.html
>
>  
> Is there anyone out there who has had this issue resolved?  
>
> Or, Does anyone have a suggested fix?
>
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jim Engle
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 10:02:42 +0100
> From: Milan Crha <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Evolution] Evolution Closes When I Try to Print
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> On Wed, 2017-03-08 at 18:30 -0600, Jim Engle wrote:
> > I am currently using Evolution 3.10.4 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  Today
> > evolution crashes (closes) every time I try to print a message.  The
> > print dialog box opens and when I click print evolution closes.
>
> Hi,
> there can be many reasons why the application crashed, thus it's really
> hard to guess from your description where the problem can be and/or
> whether any possible fix is available. Nonetheless, you can give some
> clues, which will help. Please, install debuginfo packages for
> evolution-data-server, evolution and as you use such ancient version
> also gtkhtml3 (I've no idea of exact package names in Ubuntu, I'm
> sorry, I do not use it). Then run evolution from a terminal under gdb
> and reproduce the crash. The command looks like this:
>
>    $ gdb evolution --ex r --ex bt --ex "t a a bt" --ex q
>
> It will run the evolution and once the execution stops, hopefully due
> to the crash, then it'll print the backtrace of the crashing thread and
> afterwards also backtrace of all threads. Gather the console output
> from the crash to see where it crashed. Please check the output for any
> private information, like passwords, email address, server
> addresses,... I usually search for "pass" at least (quotes for clarity
> only).
>
> By the way, does it crash for all messages, HTML and plain (this one is
> plain text), or only for certain messages?
> Bye,
> Milan
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> evolution-list mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of evolution-list Digest, Vol 140, Issue 5
> **********************************************


_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Evolution Closes When I Try to Print

Andre Klapper
Hi Jim,

(Please remove unneeded quotes when replying to messages. Thanks!)

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 13:40 -0600, Jim Engle wrote:
> You indicate that I am using an ancient version of evolution (3.10.4).
> This is the version that the Ubuntu team packaged for Ubuntu 14.04.

Your elaboration on dependencies between packages is correct. I think
Milan only mention that 3.10 is ancient to explain why debug packages
for gtkhtml are also of interest, as 3.10 still depended on gtkhtml.

> I am comfortable using the terminal if I have step-by-step instructions,
> and will be happy to provide the output that you suggest.  I have
> installed evolution-dbg and evolution-data-server-dbg, but do not know
> for sure if I have the gtkhtml3 that you requested.  (I can't find info
> on that.)  Here is the output of dpkg -l "*gtk*" | grep ii 

The relevant parts (libgtkhtml package names) are here:

> ii  libgtkhtml-4.0-0
> 4.6.6-2ubuntu1                                      amd64        HTML
> rendering/editing library - runtime files
> ii  libgtkhtml-4.0-common
> 4.6.6-2ubuntu1                                      all          HTML
> rendering/editing library - common data
> ii  libgtkhtml-editor-4.0-0
> 4.6.6-2ubuntu1                                      amd64        HTML
> rendering/editing library - editor widget

Installing the corresponding debug packages is welcome.

Next step is to get a stacktrace in gdb. A more verbose how-to is here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Community/GettingInTouch/Bugzilla/GettingTraces/Details#Obtaining_a_stack_trace_using_GDB

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  [hidden email]
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Evolution Closes When I Try to Print

Milan Crha
In reply to this post by Jim Engle
On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 13:40 -0600, Jim Engle wrote:
> The post describes the problematic issue as:

        Hi,
yes, I know the stories about LTS, it's not only with Ubuntu, but in
general.

> jim@jim-Nobilis:~$ gdb evolution --ex bt --ex "t a a bt" --ex q

It failed, because you didn't copy&paste the command I suggested, but
wrote it again, while missed "--ex r" after the "evolution" word.

> >    $ gdb evolution --ex r --ex bt --ex "t a a bt" --ex q

By the way, for some reason, your message is not properly threaded
under my response. Did you use evolution to reply to the message?
Ctrl+R, or Ctrl+L (the later to reply to the list, preferred by me
here), works pretty well for ages.
        Bye,
        Milan
_______________________________________________
evolution-list mailing list
[hidden email]
To change your list options or unsubscribe, visit ...
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list
Loading...