Evolution Data Server error

We received the following messages when we tried to register a task in our WebDAV server.

- first File--> Save:
"Can not create calendar object: Failed to send data (« put »): HTTP error code 201 (Created): The server has responded with an HTML page, which may mean that an error has occurred on the server or with the client request."

- second File--> Save:
"Unable to change the calendar object: Failed to send data (« put »): HTTP error code 412 (Precondition Failed): The server responded with an HTML page, which could mean that an error occurred on the server or with the client's request"

-----
Server: NAS Synology - DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4
WebDAV version 2.3.4-0025

Debian Buster 10.2
Linux 4.19.0-6-amd64
Evolution Data Server 3.30.5-1.1
-----

Everything works fine with Debian Stretch.

Best regards,
GLD

Re: Evolution Data Server error

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Sat, 2019-11-23 at 15:36 +0100, Gian Luca Dequecker via evolution-
list wrote:
> - first File--> Save:
> "Can not create calendar object: Failed to send data (« put »): HTTP
> error code 201 (Created): The server has responded with an HTML page,
> which may mean that an error has occurred on the server or with the
> client request."

        Hi,
your server claims the component had been created, but the Content-Type
of the response claims text/html, which can mean there's a problem,
which the CalDAV backend cannot decipher, thus it claims about it this
way. In fact, the text/html Content-Type might confuse the backend.

Would you mind the file a bug for it, at [1], please?

> - second File--> Save:
> "Unable to change the calendar object: Failed to send data (« put »):
> HTTP error code 412 (Precondition Failed): The server responded with
> an HTML page, which could mean that an error occurred on the server
> or with the client's request"

That was an edit of an existing event, right? It can mean there had
been done changes of the event on the server, thus the local version of
it is outdated. A refresh of the calendar content (in the context menu
of the calendar) and re-try usually helps.

This is already filled as [2].

> Everything works fine with Debian Stretch.

I'm not sure what that means. Does it use newer Evolution, or older, or
the same?

You can see the raw communication between the server and the client
(Evolution), when you use [3].

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/new
[2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/372
[3] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging#CalDAV

Re: Evolution Data Server error

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi Milan,

I launched the following command:

$ WEBDAV_DEBUG=1 evolution &>log.txt

Here is the result:

(evolution:2741): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:04:03.817: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "RegisterClient" with signature "ss" on interface "org.xfce.Session.Manager" doesn't exist

Regards,

GLD

list wrote:
> - first File--> Save:
> "Can not create calendar object: Failed to send data (« put »): HTTP
> error code 201 (Created): The server has responded with an HTML page,
> which may mean that an error has occurred on the server or with the
> client request."

        Hi,
your server claims the component had been created, but the Content-Type
of the response claims text/html, which can mean there's a problem,
which the CalDAV backend cannot decipher, thus it claims about it this
way. In fact, the text/html Content-Type might confuse the backend.

Would you mind the file a bug for it, at [1], please?

> - second File--> Save:
> "Unable to change the calendar object: Failed to send data (« put »):
> HTTP error code 412 (Precondition Failed): The server responded with
> an HTML page, which could mean that an error occurred on the server
> or with the client's request"

That was an edit of an existing event, right? It can mean there had
been done changes of the event on the server, thus the local version of
it is outdated. A refresh of the calendar content (in the context menu
of the calendar) and re-try usually helps.

This is already filled as [2].

> Everything works fine with Debian Stretch.

I'm not sure what that means. Does it use newer Evolution, or older, or
the same?

You can see the raw communication between the server and the client
(Evolution), when you use [3].

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/new
[2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/issues/372
[3] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging#CalDAV

Re: Evolution Data Server error

Andre Klapper
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 18:20 +0200, Gian Luca Dequecker via evolution-
list wrote:
> I launched the following command:
>
> $ WEBDAV_DEBUG=1 evolution &>log.txt
>
> Here is the result:

The result are in the file called "log.txt". If there is no webdav
related output then I'm wondering if there was a server connection.

On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 18:20 +0200, Gian Luca Dequecker wrote:
> I launched the following command:
>
> $ WEBDAV_DEBUG=1 evolution &>log.txt

        Hi,
I'm afraid you misread the link:
> [3] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging#CalDAV

a) that section doesn't mention WEBDAV_DEBUG
b) that section doesn't mention evolution itself

Just in case:

   $ CALDAV_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/evolution-calendar-factory -w &>log.txt

then run evolution and reproduce the issue.

Re: Evolution Data Server error

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Hi Milan,

Thank you for your reply.
According to your indications I launched the following command:

$ CALDAV_DEBUG=1 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-calendar-factory -w &>log.txt

Do you want me to send you the log file?

Bye,
GLD

Le ven. 29 mai 2020 à 08:25, Milan Crha via evolution-list <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Thu, 2020-05-28 at 18:20 +0200, Gian Luca Dequecker wrote:
> I launched the following command:
>
> $ WEBDAV_DEBUG=1 evolution &>log.txt

        Hi,
I'm afraid you misread the link:
> [3] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging#CalDAV

a) that section doesn't mention WEBDAV_DEBUG
b) that section doesn't mention evolution itself

Just in case:

   $ CALDAV_DEBUG=1 /usr/libexec/evolution-calendar-factory -w &>log.txt

then run evolution and reproduce the issue.

Re: Evolution Data Server error

Andre Klapper
On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 09:33 +0200, Gian Luca Dequecker via evolution-
list wrote:
> Thank you for your reply.
> According to your indications I launched the following command:
>
> $ CALDAV_DEBUG=1 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-calendar-factory -w
> &>log.txt
>
> Do you want me to send you the log file?

The request was to provide a log.
Hence yes, please provide a log. :)