Evolution EWS stpped working after Exchange migration from 2013 to 2016

Evolution EWS stpped working after Exchange migration from 2013 to 2016

Eduardo Trápani
Hi,

I was using evolution-ews without problems, until the server was
migrated to Exchange 2016.

Just in case, I did:

$ rm -rf .config/evolution
$ rm -rf .cache/evolution
$ CAMEL_DEBUG="all" LANG=en_US.UTF8 evolution

[I then recreated the ews account, got the OAB URL, then closed and
restarted, because no messages were shown]

Thread 0x7f5070a5a140 >
Get folder info(0x7f5070d411e0:1480971249.21797.3@mapache, '<null>') =
  full_name: Inbox
  flags: 00000000
    full_name: Inbox/personal
    flags: 00000000
[...]
the whole folder hierarchy in my Exchange account
[...]
  full_name: Trash
  flags: 00000000
< 0x7f5070a5a140 >

(evolution:21945): camel-ews-provider-WARNING **: Unable to fetch the
folder hierarchy: Authentication failed :289

Does anybody know if there is a workaround or something I can try? I
have no control over the server, so I cannot ask them to use IMAP+ or
turn on some sort of compatibility. All I know is that they have
migrated to Exchange 2016.

Re: Evolution EWS stpped working after Exchange migration from 2013 to 2016

Michael Hirmke
Hi Eduardo,

>Hi,

>I was using evolution-ews without problems, until the server was
>migrated to Exchange 2016.

I don't know where your problem may stem from, but in my environment
evolution ews has no problems connecting to an Exchange 2016 server.
I started using Evolution after migrating to Exchange 2016, though.

[...]

Evolution versions here are 3.20.5 and 3.22.5, but 3.18.x also worked.
Exchange version ist 2016 CU1.

Bye.
Michael.
--
Michael Hirmke

On Mon, 2016-12-05 at 18:03 -0300, Eduardo Trápani wrote:
> $ rm -rf .config/evolution
> $ rm -rf .cache/evolution

        Hi,
removing those files is not a good idea when background evolution-data-
server processes are running. Much easier is to open the evolution and
delete the account from there.

> $ CAMEL_DEBUG="all" LANG=en_US.UTF8 evolution

Using CAMEL_DEBUG=all is usually useless, because it gives too much
output from the database access.

Try the debugging for the evolution-ews itself, which is:

   $ EWS_DEBUG=2 evolution

> (evolution:21945): camel-ews-provider-WARNING **: Unable to fetch
> the folder hierarchy: Authentication failed :289

I recall some oddity since updating samba to 4.5.0 or something around.
It provides ntlm_auth (here at /usr/bin/ntlm_auth), which is used by
libsoup, which evolution-ews uses to connect to the server. The file is
a helper and the evolution-ews can work also without it. Try to rename
it, whether anything changes. I would also verify that a correct
authentication method is setup in the evolution-ews account
(NTLM/Basic/Kerberos). It depends which of them you use and which is
supported by the server. Some parts (for example address book part) can
require certain authentication types on its own. The server advertises
which authentication methods are supported, thus you can see it in the
EWS_DEBUG=2 log (search for WWW-Authenticate headers in the log).

Re: Evolution EWS stpped working after Exchange migration from 2013 to 2016

Ángel González
On 06-12-2016 Milan Crha wrote:

> > (evolution:21945): camel-ews-provider-WARNING **: Unable to fetch
> > the folder hierarchy: Authentication failed :289
>
> I recall some oddity since updating samba to 4.5.0 or something
> around.
> It provides ntlm_auth (here at /usr/bin/ntlm_auth), which is used by
> libsoup, which evolution-ews uses to connect to the server. The file
> is
> a helper and the evolution-ews can work also without it. Try to rename
> it, whether anything changes. I would also verify that a correct
> authentication method is setup in the evolution-ews account
> (NTLM/Basic/Kerberos).

I guess that was the upgrade for fixing the “badlock” vulnerability in
Samba, which changed the authentication code quite a lot.
FWIW, I found that such fix made evolution-ews unable to login with
non-ANSI passwords (which used to be possible when using NTLM
authentication), but I didn't investigate it.
Milan, I guess you won't have a basic cli program with an evolution-ews
stub which simply authenticates against Exchange, would you?

Best regards