Evolution, Imap, Google and half a dozen devices

Evolution, Imap, Google and half a dozen devices

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
Evolution  3.38.3 (flatpak gitabb3636)

I run the aforementioned version of  Evolution on a half dozen  laptops and desktops at various locations
around the world.   Access is by imap using OAuth2.

My free Gmail account and my paid for G-Suite account always pop  the "blocked attempted access from
unsecure app"  about every third time I start Evolution.

It doesn't matter, if it is the same computer 3 times or 3 different computers (even when 3 on the same network)
I'll get that message.   And if I don't log into the Google account in question and mark it as me doing the action
the account gets locked out until I go deal with each of the notices.

Has anyone figured out  how to prevent this behavior by Google?   whitelisting MAC addresses maybe or some
special token from Google?   Anything ?

Thanks
Mike

Re: Evolution, Imap, Google and half a dozen devices

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
On Fri, 2020-12-11 at 14:27 -0600, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
list wrote:
> My free Gmail account and my paid for G-Suite account always pop  the
> "blocked attempted access from
> unsecure app"  about every third time I start Evolution.

        Hi,
I've no real answer for your question, I've only a comment. The
"insecure application" notice, if I understand it correctly, is shown
when you log in with the OAuth2 using an application (client ID), which
was not verified by Google for correctness - that is some process the
applications should go through. As far as I can tell, both applications
(client IDs), the one used by evolution-data-server by default and the
one used by GNOME Online Accounts (GOA), passed this process and they
both are considered verified by the Google server.