Evolution LDAP Size Limitations

Gnome Evolution - General mailing list
I am using Evolution for email at work.  I have it set up to use EWS and
look up addresses using the GAL.  We use a separate LDAP server for
storing user certificates.  There are thousands of user certs on the
LDAP server and Evolution will find the correct cert if the user is
within the first group of entries the LDAP server returns but the server
is limited in it's return size limit so if the user is not within that
size limit Evolution can't find the cert.

I have tried a similar setup using Thuderbird and it finds the user
certs fine.  I believe Thunderbird uses LDAP paging so it does not hit
the limit of the server returns but instead pages through the returns
until the cert is found.  I saw a post from years ago talking about this
and I was wondering if this was planned for Evolution in a future
release.  I know it doesn't work on Evolution 3.36 included with Ubuntu
20.04.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2012-July/msg00114.html

I have tried a lot of different search filters but nothing returns the
certificate being searched for.  If I bring up the address book and
search the LDAP server for the user it does return a match and I can see
in the 3.36 version that the search filter being sent is (|
(mail=<emailaddress>) (userCerttificate=*)) when I do not set a search
filter and when I do this default filter is still being included in the
search so I wonder if this shouldn't be & instead of | for the default
filter.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

     Buzz

Re: Evolution LDAP Size Limitations

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 16:28 -0400, Joe via evolution-list wrote:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2012-July/msg00114.html

        Hi,
it's 8 years ago (almost). That's a long time.

> I can see  in the 3.36 version that the search filter being sent is
> (| (mail=<emailaddress>) (userCerttificate=*))

I see you found a bug in the code which transforms Evolution's search
expression into LDAP's search expression. It converted this:

  (and (exists "x509Cert") (or (is "email" "emailaddress")))

  (| (userCertificate=*) (mail=emailaddress) )

which is obviously wrong. The 'or' at the former is meant to cover
searches in multiple fields, which is done for example with auto-
completion.

Would you mind to file a bug against evolution-data-server, please?
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/issues/new

If you've any trouble in filling it, then just let me know and I'll do
it myself, I just prefer to not fill bugs on my own, when found by the
users. You'd have also feedback on the bug when you fill it yourself
(or add yourself into CC/enable notifications).

        Thanks and bye,

On Mon, 2020-04-06 at 13:03 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> Would you mind to file a bug against evolution-data-server, please?

        Hi,
just for the record, the filled bug is:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution-data-server/-/issues/206